Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club

Old 10/29/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Powerheads

Time to quit messin' around with powerheads. I need to go Tunze. I need help choosing what to get. Can I ask questions and get advice on what I need here?
Old 10/30/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Yup, I'm sure you'll get the answers you need.
Old 10/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Great! I have a 72 gal bowfront reef, mostly softies with some LPS and SPS. I've tried a Tunze powerhead before, but it was one without a controller and was just too much for the tank. Therefore, I know I need a controlled model. I see 2 available, and I'm thinking a 6101. Do I need more than one? [I have various and numerous other types in my stock for supplemental flow. Is that gonna work for me? I guess I need a controller. I see 2 types. The single look ok for my purpose. Anything else beside the magnet holder? Gotta have that. The one that comes with it -- well, I didnt' like it. Is the "kit" better to buy, rather than by the pieces separately?
Old 10/30/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Great! I have a 72 gal bowfront reef, mostly softies with some LPS and SPS. I've tried a Tunze powerhead before, but it was one without a controller and was just too much for the tank. Therefore, I know I need a controlled model. I see 2 available, and I'm thinking a 6101. Do I need more than one? [I have various and numerous other types in my stock for supplemental flow. Is that gonna work for me? I guess I need a controller. I see 2 types. The single look ok for my purpose. Anything else beside the magnet holder? Gotta have that. The one that comes with it -- well, I didnt' like it. Is the "kit" better to buy, rather than by the pieces separately?
Old 10/30/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mcox33
Magnet, single controller and the 6101 will probably set you back about $450.00 maybe more, but somewhere in that neighborhood. But in my opinion would be the best thing for your tank.

Also keep in mind that there is suppose to be a minimum of a 12% raise accross the board for all tunze products beginning the first of the year if not sooner. It is my understanding that the distributors have already been notified.
Old 10/30/2007, 05:30 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Send a message via AIM to firefish2020
With two 6101s on a multi controller you will need no supplemental flow on your tank. It would be perfect IMO but then again I run two 6100 on a multi controller plus a wave box in my home tank I'm a bit biased LOL.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

The choice is yours, but I wouldn't go with the full size streams, have you considered the 6055's on a single controller?
Actually the vortechs look pretty good also since you'll spend about the same as a Tunze setup.
The vortechs loose in the ability to aim across the tank but from what I've read they have such a wide pattern they would be nice.

I got 2 6000's pushing the full length 6' of my tank and really need to go bigger.

The 6055's are nice and compact unlike the big brother which IMO tank away from the tank. If it was me and I did mine over I would have went with the vortech for the simple reason I wanted to go down each side of my rock work, my 6000's are that way now but man they look huge.

Good Luck as I think you will get a pretty different response from most people. As for customer service I think you'll get treated equally from both Tunze and ETM
My 6000's came with 6080 props to lessen the flow the original owner had them in a 58g so I'm guessing you'll want something in that range.
Old 10/30/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Might want to look into this

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1240112
Old 10/31/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Anybody else think that the 6055s might be for me? The gallon rate is certainly more correct than the 6101, but are the nanos as durable? Ron mentioned getting 2 of the 6101s. Will I not get enough flow with one 6101, or do I need the "mixed" flow that happens with more than one? I realize these are expensive, but I've probably spent that much in the years I've been at this on misc. other powerheads. Did the same thing w/lights. Messed around and messed around with others, and then ended up with MH anyway. Take note beginner reefers. If this hobby really grabs you, your gonna want the best flow and the best light you can get eventually, so you might as well start out right. Thanks for the heads-up on the after-the-first-of-the-year price hike.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:43 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

You wont be happy with the 6055 in about a years time in your tank IMO. But then again Im all about extreme flow rates you know that, and I don't think anyone here will deny my success rate with large flow techniques. You can dial back the power of those 6101s (not that you would do such a thing), to the equivalent of the 6055s. If you ever needed more power just turn it up you wouldn't be able to do that with the 6055s. As for the Vortex, I have never seen one in person so I can not comment on the nature of that particular system.

I think me and Jim had a similar discussion not long ago on this subject
Old 10/31/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I agree with you Ron about the flow, I would personally want as much as I could get, but for asthetic reasons I wouldn't want to sacrifice tank space to get it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the my 6000's but in my setup I'm re thinking the idea.

In his tank I would run two 6055 going towards the back then two on the back for a total of 4.
If your wanting more bang for the buck I would look into two Vortechs one on each side. Are you using any type of controller such as an AC3 or something like that.

Giovanni has a real good DIY for the Vortechs and Tunze setups

I guess what I'm saying is you should look into some setups before you make your mind up.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:49 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

This is only my opinion, I'm not downing anyone here so don't read more into it than is there. To me personally aesthetics really has little to do with keeping healthy animals. It's not about what we want, it's about what it takes to keep them alive and healthy for as long as possible. If you are planning to do SPS in the future and I'm not talking about brown sticks but rather colorful crazy awesome SPS like in Rogers system you will need as much flow as I have said. I just don't see buying 4 or more pumps when 2 can do the job perfectly. Every system has it's own needs and balances, Tunze, Vortech, Spa Pump etc, which ever one YOU decide on make sure YOU get what YOU need for what YOU plan to keep that's the best advice I can give you on this matter.
Old 10/31/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

I gotta say if your going for the long term I would go w/ the 2 6101's w/ controller as they can be turned down if needed until you need the xtra flow (wish the made lights like that.......hmmmm) anyway, I am not being biased because I sell them, I have used many different powerheads and pumps over the years and seen others I haven't used in use in others tanks and still there are some I have not used or seen yet personally. I will only recommend something I have personally used and I can honestly say they are the best pumps I have used to date. Not only do the function well, but also if a problem does arise Tunze is one of the best companies I have ever worked with to handle the problem promptly and make it right. This is my OPINION and only that, I feel like my tanks speak for themselves on my experience and I may find another pump tommorow that changes my mind. I am not trying to debate on this, simply give my opinion on what works for me, just as everyone else is. Ultimately what ever you choose, I hope it works well for you, then you can post your opinion too the next time this greatly debated question arises.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishmon
(wish the made lights like that.......hmmmm)
My LED will let you do that.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to carb850 Send a message via Yahoo to carb850
Sounds to me like dual 6100's would be way over kill for his/her needs. The poster said they were keeping mostly softies with some LPS and SPS. I thought for that use you would want about 30X turnover, right? Two 6100's are over 85X.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I though with softies you can have too much flow.
Old 11/01/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

It would all depend if you don't mind peeling the flesh of things
Old 11/01/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

I love being able to bounce this stuff around before the plunge. Thanks. This has certainly been helpful. I like what Ron and Fishmon said best: I can turn down the 6101s with a controller if need be, and I see where my tank will likely evolve and I'll have the ability to crank it up. Guess it's off to the currency printing machine in the basement ....
Old 11/01/2007, 06:18 PM
5 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by joyski58
Guess it's off to the currency printing machine in the basement ....
Joyce while you're down there I'll take some too

Rock cooking it's what curing use to be.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralreefer
Joyce while you're down there I'll take some too
I'll take some too!!!
Old 11/01/2007, 09:04 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Joyce remember with the 6101 multi controller combo you will likely be pulsing between the two pumps one at a high setting say 80% to 100% while the second is set at 25% to 30% power. It sounds like a lot of flow but it's more about random chaotic currents and you will indeed generate that with this setup. Can't wait to see some pics of your tank after you take that plunge
Old 11/13/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

I wanted to post an update, so everyone can learn what I've learned. My Tunze order has arrived and is definitely creating chaotic currents in my tank, like Ron stated above. The only coral that's not happy is a large devil's hand. He's plate sized and tends to fold over. [He needs a-fraggin', anyway (attn Ron).] I purchased the 6101 w/a single controller, and a 6055 nano. I unplugged 4 powerheads when I plugged in these two, so I'll be saving electricity as well as heat generated by all those powerheads. I did have to turn the 6101 way down at this point. The single controller will generate intermitent flow on 1 powerhead, and is set that way. The other is just a steady Tunze stream. I purchased the photo cell connector for automatic lower night current, but it can't turn down the flow when the lights go out because it's already turned all the way down by me. I can purchase a jump box so the single controller can control both powerheads, but this will make the powerheads only work the same, not a back-and-forth thing. May be worth doing anyway. Still weighing this out. Moral of the Story: I'm excited and happy with the powerheads I purchase, but the multicontroller would have been the way to go. It is a bunch more $ than the single controller.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

I wanted to post an update, so everyone can learn what I've learned. My Tunze order has arrived and is definitely creating chaotic currents in my tank, like Ron stated above. The only coral that's not happy is a large devil's hand. He's plate sized and tends to fold over. [He needs a-fraggin', anyway (attn Ron).] I purchased the 6101 w/a single controller, and a 6055 nano. I unplugged 4 powerheads when I plugged in these two, so I'll be saving electricity as well as heat generated by all those powerheads. I did have to turn the 6101 way down at this point. The single controller will generate intermitent flow on 1 powerhead, and is set that way. The other is just a steady Tunze stream. I purchased the photo cell connector for automatic lower night current, but it can't turn down the flow when the lights go out because it's already turned all the way down by me. I can purchase a jump box so the single controller can control both powerheads, but this will make the powerheads only work the same, not a back-and-forth thing. May be worth doing anyway. Still weighing this out. Moral of the Story: I'm excited and happy with the powerheads I purchase, but the multicontroller would have been the way to go. It is a bunch more $ than the single controller.
Old 11/13/2007, 07:48 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Quote:
It is a bunch more $ than the single controller.
Yep but man does it Rock!

Eitherway I think you will be pleased with the results you will see soon.