Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

View Poll Results: What hard to find angel do you have
Bandit Angel 3 2.54%
Golden Pygmy Angel 3 2.54%
Colins Angel 6 5.08%
Hotumatuas Angel 0 0%
Interuptus Angel 9 7.63%
Joculator Angel 2 1.69%
Resplendent Angel 8 6.78%
Venustus Angel 3 2.54%
Blueline Angel 3 2.54%
Chrysurus Angel 5 4.24%
Conspicillatus Angel 9 7.63%
Multicolor Angel 7 5.93%
Peppermint Angel 49 41.53%
Kingi Angel 11 9.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/04/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

That is true some people can get those types of connections. But I doubt it and just because they are on some availability list doesn't mean he will get them even if he orders them. I
Old 12/04/2006, 02:31 PM
POWERED by A200-1260

Send a message via AIM to fishsoldseprtly Send a message via Yahoo to fishsoldseprtly
Quote:
Originally posted by coralite
Warren, Do you really think that a fish collector just happened to witness a pair of angels mate in the wild and then succeeded in capturing both fish? Isn;t it more likely that they are just selling you any two old fish which happen to get along? come on, if someone sells you a "mated" pair and they aren't clownfish or african cichlids, I'd say they are full of detritus. And for your sake I hope you dont have your heart set on keeping multi bar angels very long as their captive track record is mighty bleak.
so I guess just because these are saltwater angels and not clownfish and cichlids then there are no chances that they can actually be a mated pair?.. LOL now thats full of detritus.
I will definitely take my chances. I have been collecting for a while and I have had a multi barred in the past, and yea they dont do well in captivity and I do know that as well. But there are reefers on RC that have them and have been successful in keeping them even a pair..
I hope John (copps) can chime in on this.

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 12/04/2006, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

most pygmy angels are either found in singles or in pairs. If a collector finds 2 pygmy angels hiding in the same hole or very close to eachother, most of the time they will be a pair. Collected pairs happen all the time, just most get seperated along the way...

there is no way your LFS can get a blue potters. lol
peppermint angels quite possibly. Enough contact and enough money you can get one.
Old 12/04/2006, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Here is my pair of multibarr. Collection and handling quality I think has a lot to do with the success. These came straight from Vanuatu and are even eating flake food.

Old 12/04/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

An LFS can get a blue potters - I've seen one. As for the personatus, ballinae, or peppermint - I doubt it.
Old 12/04/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

jmicky41,

>a blue potters

When did you see it ? I saw one in Osaka, Japan sometime ago.
Old 12/04/2006, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

About a year ago. I said "bag it up" - untill he told me the price. If I remember correctly it was $1200, or maybe it was $2000.
Old 12/05/2006, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

A LFS cannot get a blue potters on a regular basis. He can't just make a call and have it have it in a week. It is a freak color morph that is rarely seen and most arent the true blue color. Any collected now go straight to japan. i can't get one and i live here. Many divers have never seen one in the ocean, and these are divers who have been diving for 15-35 years. Now that is rare...
Old 12/05/2006, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Blue potters are not something you can just order, thats for damn sure. I have been diving in Hawaii for awhile and have never seen one. There may be more out there but it is truly a needle in a haystack. There is no effective way to narrow down an area to search. Best bet would be somewhere off Kona becasue thats were the last one was found. Kona is not a small coast line either. I would put money down, that your LFS cannot get a blue potters. If I ever catch one its def. not going to an LFS in the US.

As for mated pairs of angels and being full of detritus... I have collected and seen truly mated pairs of bandit angels and even Tinkers butterfly. Bandit angels are more often than not found in pairs, I assume when they are sexually mature or ready to settle down. MAsked angels are said to be found in harems also. True, sometimes wholesalers/divers/retailers will play pretend match maker to justify a higher price.
Old 12/05/2006, 03:10 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Send a message via AIM to coralite
In freshwter terms, the only way you can pass something off as a mated pair is if the pair has actually done it, and in most cases the pair also had to produce viable offspring. All I was trying to say about angelfish mated pair is that the only way you can say they are "mated" is to actually watch them do it. SInce angels spawn at dusk it seems highly unlikely that a single diver could collect both fish in the dark after the mating ritual. So unless someone is getting pairs from RCT, call it a natural pair, a wild pair or just a pair. You are free to disagree with me, no need to beat the horse any further.
Old 12/05/2006, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

i agree the term "mated" means they have to spawn, however 2 fish can be a "pair" There are some fish that ONLY exist as singles or MATED pairs. Such as bandits or tinkers. These fish if found together are 95% likely to be a mated pair since they are only found in singles or mated pairs. Most angels pygmy angels are found in harems, but they can be "paired" up rather easily. A pair is simply a male and a female. A mated pair is a spawning male and female
Old 12/06/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I was playing with the digital camera and filmed a new video of my Blueline Angelfish.

http://www.sykesweb.com/210%20Tank/v...luelinevid.wmv

Yeah, I noticed I left out an "e" in Blueline.
Old 12/06/2006, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Cool. That is on my "next to get" list.
Old 12/06/2006, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I have some extra footage of my Chyrsurus Angelfish, so here is a video of it.

http://www.sykesweb.com/210%20Tank/v...rysurusvid.wmv
Old 12/06/2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Tremelle, great footage on both of your video! I am please to see that you have 2 angels in your reef tank. Do they take on any of your corals? do you have zoos, mushroom or clams that they took over?

I am in a dilemma of keeping my chrysurus angel in a SPS/LPS/Clam tank that i will be doing shortly. I love him, but hope he wont be a picker on corals. He is still quite small, bought him when he as an inch and now he is around 2.5"-3"
Old 12/06/2006, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

I've been thinking about trying to collect data on the various species of angelfish to determine what genera/species may be safer with corals. I'd definitely need feedback from the angel keepers on this forum though to do it.
Old 12/09/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Is there a way to differential the sex of potter? My LFS bought in quite a lot of small one... Thinking of getting a pair... Dun will work out anot?
Old 12/09/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

What about the personifer angel? I read in Scott w. Michael's book that
the personifer angel is actually pretty rare because they look so similar to the C. Meredithi angel. He says that The personifer angel is found in northwestern australia on the indian ocean and that personifers don't even really live where aquarium fish are collected.
Old 12/09/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesJR
What about the personifer angel? I read in Scott w. Michael's book that
the personifer angel is actually pretty rare because they look so similar to the C. Meredithi angel. He says that The personifer angel is found in northwestern australia on the indian ocean and that personifers don't even really live where aquarium fish are collected.
If not wrong, it is because the region where the personifer is in, the collection of fish is restricted... I think is North Australia... So it is difficult to get the REAL personifer adn the price tag is quite high for it too...
Old 12/10/2006, 06:01 PM