Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/17/2006, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

need info on Watanabe Angelfish

I will get this pair of Watanabe Angelfish tomorrow so if any one have any experience with this fish please input here.
my question
1 Is Watanabe Angelfish be ok with coral beauth, flasher wrasse, blue tang, sailfin tang?
(blue tang and sailfin will be move to new home 300g tank with in 3 month)
2 Is 30g quarinteen tank is good enough for this fish?
3 should they be ok in 60g tank for now? around 3 months

Right now I have 60g tank with 30g sump, blue tang and sailfin tang is around 3" now
300g tank will be done with in 3 months
I really want this fish I know it hard to find and pretty pricy but I got a good deal for the pair that why I don't want to pass on this deal. I know I should wait for the new tank to be finish first, but I really want them.

thank you...... sorry for bad gramma and spellling
Old 12/18/2006, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

no one have them????
Old 12/18/2006, 07:50 AM
Fish Wrangler

My sister in law has a pair. She's had them for a month. They are beautiful fish. She has them in a 90g along with a sailfin, a yellow tang and a purple tang. No issues. They all get along great.
380 FOWLR vlamingi 12", vlamingi 10", blonde naso 8", blue hippo 8", Sohal Tang 6", Purple Tang 5", Dussimer Tang 6", Clown Trigger 7.5", Picasso Trigger 2", Harlequin Tusk 6", Queen Angel 3.5; + more
Old 12/18/2006, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

It is hard to advise adding additional fish to a tank that is already too small for its inhabitants.

~Steve~
Old 12/18/2006, 12:58 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

60 Gallon tank is way to small for these fish even if they were housed in a species only tank. They are very active (especially the males). My male is easily as active as my Sohal and Purple tangs.
I have kept harems of these fish on a couple of different ocassions and I didn't have any issues with them bothering other fish or vice versa but the males do have a tendancy to be very rough on the females and a 60g tank will not afford the female any room to find shelter.
Make sure that the fish is not swimming iregularly when you buy it because they are notorious for have swim bladder damage and typically will not recover if they have this problem.

Here is a pic of the male I have now and as you can see I have him in with a few other Angels and Tangs and he gets along with them with no issues whatsoever.

Old 12/18/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

60 is too small. 300G is fine.

They should be Ok with the fish that you listed. They are very hardy, eat prepared foods and should do well. I have 3 kinds of genicanthus and they NEVER picked on any coral or invert.

They do grow rather slowly.

Mine never got any type of disease.

I got mine in Sept 2004.