Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 11/27/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Canopy Build Plans

Who wants to share??? I have a 125g (72x18) that I need to build a canopy to house my lights in. Want to include fans, space to run modular tubing, etc.... Would like to have the top open(vents??) somewhat to help with heat problems... but, I need to attach the light canopy to the top somehow. Would like to have the top hinge open to allow access for big stuff. I am going to build in access doors in the front for feedings and stuff like that. Only problem is I have no idea where to start! Pretty handy with tools, built the stand and base, just need a little plan if possible!
Pictures and plans are welcome!! PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks!!
Old 11/27/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to diverdick
Jumping on this thread....have the very same winter project in mind!

Regards,

--Rich
Old 11/27/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

ME FIRST RICH!! HAHA, J/K!!!!
Old 11/27/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Heres a method.

Gal Steel Frame Incorporated into stand and comes apart at the base of the tank.

Screw on door catches to frame (little plastic cylindrical thingys). Then screw the catches to the kitchen cupboard panels.

Clip on and off as necessary. Works a treat and no visual screws etc.

Not perfect as in this instance it has a bar to reach over to access the tank. Also as this is a hand me down the guy had used rope to hang lights and i'm now considering more permanent arrangement.

Also open top and back lets light escape but thats fixable.

Looks great but ideally if i could afford a suspended light setup on an open top tank that would be ideal. Maybe one day.

Old 11/28/2007, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

That looks cool there my Aussie friend!! Is that free standing or is it on a wall? How cool would that be if it were free standing?!!! Here are a couple of old pics of my set-up that I am looking to build the canopy for:

I have a 72" fixture with 2-10k 250's, 1-10k 400, and dual 72" Super Actinic VHO's with fans on both ends I am looking to enclose and make my fiance happy!!!

p.s. how may people ask you what "old Holdens" are??? Sweet rides....

Last edited by Volkman; 11/28/2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11/28/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

steel + salt = rust Gal doesnt last
Old 11/28/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks mate. That was my first post after reading heaps.

The unit is freestanding however the middle of the back glass has the return pipe and i've painted the back of the tank black now.

Love the location of your tank. I'm jealous. I have only supporting block walls so cant do that.

From a purely design point of view your set-up would be great to sit a little higher and set totally into a wall. Make a frame up and hang 2pac cupbourd doors off it for access on the lounge side and plasterboard up the other side. Ventilate into the roof cavity if possible.

Looks very nice anyway. Does the power bill hurt? I'm about to start running 3 x 20k 150w fittings & some fluros as well as three aqua medic pumps so its minimum power but still adds up.

As for the gal steel a friend knocked it up out of some scrap. its been going for three years at his place and it has no sign of starting to rust yet. I gave it a couple of fresh coats of hammered paint and fish oil inside the tubes. Got years to go. Not everything needs to be big $$$.
Old 11/28/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

I made mine out of one sheet of 1/2" plywood, some 1x3's and some melamine.

Old 11/29/2007, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Sharkbait, we wanted to keep as much room as possible around the tank open to keep the room open, but I did think of that. Closing that in would make things nice and fun for maintainace though. When I built the stand and wall there, I made it so it's "Bar height" in the living room so you can just go up to it and lean in the railing, perfect size for a drink too!! Then in the family room where the couch is, it's high enough so you can sit on the couch and see perfectly. So far the power bill has not been bad, but I have been working the run-times up though, just got the lights a few weeks ago, I'll let you know in a month!! Keep reading!! This site has a wealth of knowledge!!

Corals 4 Bills, sweet canopy bud!! Looks nice.... did you have any sort of plans for the structural at all? Or being a Gen did you just kinda have an idea? I can scrap something together and have it work, but I would really like to have a clean, professional looking canopy when I'm done.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

My first impression on Canopy building was to make it light and water tight, First thing I did was to lay half of a sheet of 1/2" ply on top of the tank and trace around it, then keep a 1" space and cut all the way around it like a pattern even through the center braces, the just find a happy height between the light bulbs itself and the water then cut the 1x3's. scribe the bottom piece to the extra 1/2 sheet of plywood to the top and your good to go, the back side I made out of 5/8" melamine for strength to hold it all together, the sides are ply and the doors are 1x3's also.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanks bud, I have started the build this last weekend, pictures to follow!! Going well!