Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/13/2007, 09:47 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaloupa
Do Monti Nudi's eat ALL kinds of Montipora or just capricornus or?

all of them, but IME they prefer plating ones by far. More shadows I think
Old 12/13/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Just passing on some info that might help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.p..._id=52&clang=1

michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/14/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
Just passing on some info that might help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.korallen-zucht.de/index.p..._id=52&clang=1

michael
Had heard of this, but seeing the pic of the guys in action really brings it home. Moohahaha... the evil shrimp are good for something then. I will have to get some to put in the QT every time I add new frags. What they miss the sixline & yellow corris wrasse can take care of.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:50 AM
TRC Leader

Are those camelback shrimp? Wow, I never would have thought about those as a solution.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:47 AM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Are those camelback shrimp? Wow, I never would have thought about those as a solution.

There was a thread recently in this forum about using them. I can't seem to find it in a search. Basically the idea is to have them in a place seperate from the corals and to place infected corals in with them for short periods of time.......30 mins to an hour I believe. If you leave the corals in too long the shrimp will start to eat polyps/tissue.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:51 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, that is exactly what was typed up in that link. What a cool solution.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanya72806
do red bugs leave bitemarks on SPS ? Or do AEFW the only ones that leave bitemarks ?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:44 PM
TRC Leader

Only AEFW leave bite marks.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Come on now........... I just finished my darn interceptor treatment and now this !!!!!!! I am really getting annoyed with this hobby. I dip EVERYTHING before adding to my tank never notice any marks until tonight I looked at ALL my sps and only 2 have marks. Im tossing them as we speak. I just bought coral Revivethe other day. I dont have any space what so ever for a qt tank. What should I do ???????
Old 12/19/2007, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

For incoming, of course a QT is optimal. I'd at least remove all rock/non coral tissue and dip. The eggs are why most don't see them for months after adding something, I think. I don't think they'll lay eggs on live tissue. A good dip (TMPCC works for me) should get the live ones (but won't get red bugs). If you have them in your display, they are there until no acro tissue remains for a while (not sure if anyone has established a concrete time frame on life cycles). 4-6 weeks should be enough time for them to starve? I treated in a separate tank when I had them and didn't get them back (that I'm aware of). Some just live with them until they get really bad.

Other things could irritate the skin and make it look like bite marks. Something to look into, anyway (caulerpa, certain fishes, crabs, etc.).
Old 12/19/2007, 10:13 PM
TRC Leader

Take a deep breathe, hold it, exhale slowly. Try to relax.

It's just a hobby.

Understandably, pests are something we want to prevent at all costs, and if you can keep them out of your system, you've got one less thing to stress you out.

When I discovered AEFW in my tank, after reading all the horror stories, I tackled it like I tackle most problems. I dealt with that particular coral, and considered what I might have to do if my whole reef had to be treated.

Fortunately, treating for redbugs is a very simple and painless event. AEFW are more difficult. In my case, I dealt with the corals that were a problem, while the rest of my reef seems fine.

A small hospital tank or quarantine tank would be best, even if it is jut a temporary arrangement.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

lol yeah but its one thing after another and you cant enjoy the hobby. I took the 2 that looked like they had bites on them. I dipped them w/ TMPCC for 10 minutes blew them off and nothing. Then I diped them in the Coral Revive and noticed nothing. Looked again and seems like bites I dont know. I tossed the 2 frags one was a PM and the other a tyree ultimate stag
Old 12/19/2007, 10:54 PM
My tank is too full

Tanya, I am sorry to hear about your troubles. When you get a new coral, what are you dipping them in?

To thine own self be true
Old 12/19/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Thank you marko I use Trop marin and every 6 months from now I am treating the tank w/ interceptor JIC. I have all the very expesive stuff in my tank and just hate to start losing stuff could never afford to re buy all of these
Old 12/19/2007, 11:18 PM
My tank is too full

I know how you feel about having nice stuff and wanting to protect it. That is why I dip all incoming acros in levamisole. It is a little harder on the corals, but I want to take all precaution before adding anything to the display.

Don't worry about RB's. They are no big deal. I think that there is too much emphasis that they are bad. True, no one wants them in a tank, but of the major three, I'll take RB's all day.

I started using revive as a seconadary dip and I have never used the tropic marine as levamisole is the strongest out there. I have even seen the really big ones (AEFW) hang around and only to be later killed in a really concentrated dip.

Hang in there. I do have a 29 gallon in the garage that I use just in case.

FYI-new corals get 4 hr interceptor, 30 mins of levamisole and 10 min of revive. I have killed corals, but that is what helps me to "enjoy this hobby". The sad part of our hobby is that this ugly side is part of it and when someone is going through it, we all feel for you.

Old 12/19/2007, 11:24 PM
My tank is too full

One night I was inspecting my chalices and I found this little bugger. Later I was told by a few various reefkeepers that they were a safe pod, also known as a sand skater (Right Marc?). I had already quit the hobby by the time the first response had come back to me.

Like I said, hang in there Others have beat them and so can you.

Old 12/19/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mark. Where do you get the Levamisole ? Also what is the dosages for it ?
Old 12/19/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a tort/green birdsnest/tubs birdsnest/ colonies. I took them out searched them nothing. The rest are all small frags. besides the bite marks do they allow your corals to stay nice and colorful ? My colors look amazing still the 2 frags i tossed were very pale in color
Old 12/19/2007, 11:28 PM
My tank is too full

I got mine at an online feed store as it is a pig dewormer. I do not know the exact dosage as I just sprinkle some in my 2 gallon bucket as I am more comfortable with it. Maybe you can try a search. If I find the links, I will PM them.
Some will say that levamisole is too strong for the aquaria, but I think that each one of our tanks is a personal choice in our sanity or insanity.

Last edited by Marko9; 12/19/2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:31 PM
My tank is too full

You will notice white tissue around the area which is being eaten. If you have just thrown the frags away and they are still pretty fresh, put them in FW and see if they fall off. If you are already going to throw them away, you might as well FW dip them. I use a white 2 gallon bucket so I can easily see if anything falls off.

Old 12/19/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

try it now
Old 12/19/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

nuttin yet. I took them out examined them dont see anything nothings moving nothing at the botton of the bucket I dont know.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:33 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9

One night I was inspecting my chalices and I found this little bugger. Later I was told by a few various reefkeepers that they were a safe pod, also known as a sand skater (Right Marc?). I had already quit the hobby by the time the first response had come back to me.

Like I said, hang in there Others have beat them and so can you.
Correct, nothing to worry about.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:05 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Send a message via AIM to wentreefgirl Send a message via Yahoo to wentreefgirl
Wow, love the camel shrimp idea. I have a blue monti that is showing signs of something but had in there for a year already. Maybe Ill take a closer look.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to my nightmare...I just dealt with Redbugs, now flatworms, and then finally this...don't EVER say "well at least we don't have "" " because you will have them! Murphy's law...AND I dip and now of course Q tank them all and MOST were Q before entering my display...you just never know...and be very very very careful, inspect with a magnifying glass and HOPE

Welcome to Montipora eating Nudibranchs...at least I have a good camera to capture the little pests!

Sarah