Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01/04/2008, 09:26 PM
badazztealcobra badazztealcobra is offline
Tank Collector
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 1,515
Send a message via AIM to badazztealcobra
Quote:
Originally posted by msu spartan
yea u should keep it, you cant really trust anybody who says its theirs.


really lucky to find one of them, arent they like $2000 ? sell it and use the money for fish tanks
Im going to go out on a limb here and say that if someone reports it to the police that it's theirs..... I dont think anybodys going to make up that story "hoping" that someone found one by the side of the road.
  #27  
Old 01/04/2008, 10:32 PM
GrandeGixxer GrandeGixxer is offline
Frag-a-holic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Great Lakes, IL
Posts: 2,234
Send a message via AIM to GrandeGixxer
Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Im going to go out on a limb here and say that if someone reports it to the police that it's theirs..... I dont think anybodys going to make up that story "hoping" that someone found one by the side of the road.
+1
__________________
Joe Cude

Save a reef, trade a frag!
  #28  
Old 01/04/2008, 10:34 PM
Shaummy Shaummy is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Romeoville, IL USA
Posts: 178
Send a message via ICQ to Shaummy Send a message via AIM to Shaummy
Not trying to be the morality police at all....but what would make you think it'd be ok to pick up a "brand new undamaged" tv off the side of the road if you didn't buy it? That takes cahones.
I could see if it was something that was out with the garbage or whatever...but brand new unopened box...yeah you stole it.

I hope the Karma comes back and evens the score at some point.
__________________
Shaummy
  #29  
Old 01/04/2008, 10:36 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
Plus 2.

I can think of a couple of scenarios where it is plausible that someone could have removed it from their vehicle and drove off without it. Then they turn around and go back and say holy spit, it's already gone.
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #30  
Old 01/04/2008, 11:18 PM
aiko670 aiko670 is offline
OT Slaughter House
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjr
Plus 2.

I can think of a couple of scenarios where it is plausible that someone could have removed it from their vehicle and drove off without it. Then they turn around and go back and say holy spit, it's already gone.
I'm not saying right or wrong here, I was actually going to stay out of this. But.............

What scenarios would you consider plausible to leave a brand new tv on the side of the road?
__________________
My Pit Bulls aren't mean, you're just a sissy!

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
  #31  
Old 01/04/2008, 11:46 PM
444reefkeeper 444reefkeeper is offline
Productive Procrastinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: trapped inside my mind
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670
I'm not saying right or wrong here, I was actually going to stay out of this. But.............

What scenarios would you consider plausible to leave a brand new tv on the side of the road?
True.

I do believe in karma, but I don't think he stole it.... If it was left in a driveway or in front of Best Buy and he backed his vehicle up and loaded the TV, that would be stealing.

So if you picked up a $20 bill drifting in a parking lot(or on the side of the road in this case), would that be stealing?

See if anybody reported it. Hold off on buying those brackets until you know for sure. If no one rightfully claims it, you got a new TV. Let it dry those couple days and enjoy.
__________________
W-W-B-D
-h-o-e-o
-a-u-e-?
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
  #32  
Old 01/05/2008, 12:35 AM
bartecki bartecki is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago / S. Suburbs
Posts: 48
That is THE STORY of the month. You should keep it ... anyway whoever loses a 52" plasma like that does not deserve to have it . His or her karma was probably in bad shape.
  #33  
Old 01/05/2008, 11:50 AM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670
I'm not saying right or wrong here, I was actually going to stay out of this. But.............

What scenarios would you consider plausible to leave a brand new tv on the side of the road?
I have owned 3 vehicles in the past that would hold a box the size of the one the TV was in. Two of those vehicles would have required its' removal in order to access the spare tire.

Having to change a tire on a cold, wet, icy, windy day can quickly take the polish off the experience of having just purchased a big ticket item. It is no longer the only thing on your mind.

You pull the TV box out of the back of your van or station wagon and set it on the side of the road a few feet back so it isn't in your way. You wouldn't want to throw your flat tire in it's direction and actually damage it or have the lug wrench slip causing you to bash it into the screen.

While changing the tire in the elements you manage to slice your dry and cracked hand on the rim when you remove the flat. While bleeding you have to get the spare tire on your car all the while exposing your open cut to salt or calcium chloride or what ever other corosive ice melter McHenry county is using. You put the spare on and put the flat away and close up the vehicle and drive away. Now you go a couple of blocks or even a mile or two in Randall Road stop and go traffic and look in your rear view or at the bag from the electronics store that's sitting on your passenger seat.

Bam, you're hit in the guts like a sledge hammer. "How could I have done that. God I hope it's still there. You do what you have to do to get back to where you changed your flat but it will probably still take you 20 minutes to get to where you can turn around plus the distance to return. A half hour has elapsed and someone has already found it and driven off by the time you get back.

While I haven't ever done that with something the size of a TV I have left my tool bag at a customers office more then once in the last twelve and a half years as a technician as well as my laptop case.

Mistakes are never big or small. Mistakes are mistakes and they come in only one size. Consequences, on the other hand, can be huge.

As far as those that said if you left the TV you don't deserve it; I disagree. People make mistakes and these things happen. Since none of us actually knows the circumstances that caused the TV to be left on Randall road it is impossible to determine whether or not the person that posessed it previously "deserved" to lose it.

Karma is a BE-OTCH
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #34  
Old 01/05/2008, 11:58 AM
aiko670 aiko670 is offline
OT Slaughter House
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjr
I have owned 3 vehicles in the past that would hold a box the size of the one the TV was in. Two of those vehicles would have required its' removal in order to access the spare tire.

Having to change a tire on a cold, wet, icy, windy day can quickly take the polish off the experience of having just purchased a big ticket item. It is no longer the only thing on your mind.

You pull the TV box out of the back of your van or station wagon and set it on the side of the road a few feet back so it isn't in your way. You wouldn't want to throw your flat tire in it's direction and actually damage it or have the lug wrench slip causing you to bash it into the screen.

While changing the tire in the elements you manage to slice your dry and cracked hand on the rim when you remove the flat. While bleeding you have to get the spare tire on your car all the while exposing your open cut to salt or calcium chloride or what ever other corosive ice melter McHenry county is using. You put the spare on and put the flat away and close up the vehicle and drive away. Now you go a couple of blocks or even a mile or two in Randall Road stop and go traffic and look in your rear view or at the bag from the electronics store that's sitting on your passenger seat.

Bam, you're hit in the guts like a sledge hammer. "How could I have done that. God I hope it's still there. You do what you have to do to get back to where you changed your flat but it will probably still take you 20 minutes to get to where you can turn around plus the distance to return. A half hour has elapsed and someone has already found it and driven off by the time you get back.

While I haven't ever done that with something the size of a TV I have left my tool bag at a customers office more then once in the last twelve and a half years as a technician as well as my laptop case.

Mistakes are never big or small. Mistakes are mistakes and they come in only one size. Consequences, on the other hand, can be huge.

As far as those that said if you left the TV you don't deserve it; I disagree. People make mistakes and these things happen. Since none of us actually knows the circumstances that caused the TV to be left on Randall road it is impossible to determine whether or not the person that posessed it previously "deserved" to lose it.

Karma is a BE-OTCH

You need a career change.... Have you thought of becoming a writer?
__________________
My Pit Bulls aren't mean, you're just a sissy!

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
  #35  
Old 01/05/2008, 12:04 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
In my spare time, yes. I am just nervous of leaving my laptop somewhere and not having a backup.

But on topic, is that plausible enough?
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #36  
Old 01/05/2008, 12:04 PM
GrandeGixxer GrandeGixxer is offline
Frag-a-holic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Great Lakes, IL
Posts: 2,234
Send a message via AIM to GrandeGixxer
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjr
I have owned 3 vehicles in the past that would hold a box the size of the one the TV was in. Two of those vehicles would have required its' removal in order to access the spare tire.

Having to change a tire on a cold, wet, icy, windy day can quickly take the polish off the experience of having just purchased a big ticket item. It is no longer the only thing on your mind.

You pull the TV box out of the back of your van or station wagon and set it on the side of the road a few feet back so it isn't in your way. You wouldn't want to throw your flat tire in it's direction and actually damage it or have the lug wrench slip causing you to bash it into the screen.

While changing the tire in the elements you manage to slice your dry and cracked hand on the rim when you remove the flat. While bleeding you have to get the spare tire on your car all the while exposing your open cut to salt or calcium chloride or what ever other corosive ice melter McHenry county is using. You put the spare on and put the flat away and close up the vehicle and drive away. Now you go a couple of blocks or even a mile or two in Randall Road stop and go traffic and look in your rear view or at the bag from the electronics store that's sitting on your passenger seat.

Bam, you're hit in the guts like a sledge hammer. "How could I have done that. God I hope it's still there. You do what you have to do to get back to where you changed your flat but it will probably still take you 20 minutes to get to where you can turn around plus the distance to return. A half hour has elapsed and someone has already found it and driven off by the time you get back.

While I haven't ever done that with something the size of a TV I have left my tool bag at a customers office more then once in the last twelve and a half years as a technician as well as my laptop case.

Mistakes are never big or small. Mistakes are mistakes and they come in only one size. Consequences, on the other hand, can be huge.

As far as those that said if you left the TV you don't deserve it; I disagree. People make mistakes and these things happen. Since none of us actually knows the circumstances that caused the TV to be left on Randall road it is impossible to determine whether or not the person that posessed it previously "deserved" to lose it.

Karma is a BE-OTCH
Adam, when are you going to get your new TV back?
__________________
Joe Cude

Save a reef, trade a frag!
  #37  
Old 01/05/2008, 12:05 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
If it were mine I'd have filed a report.
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #38  
Old 01/05/2008, 12:13 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
And another thing: I am not a member of the morality police. My full time association with the puppy mill police does not allow me to moonlight for other enforecement agencies.
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #39  
Old 01/05/2008, 01:14 PM
slave-of-rock slave-of-rock is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NW chicago burbs'
Posts: 3,972
Send a message via AIM to slave-of-rock
I have reported it to the police. They have asked me to keep it in my home until further notice. My friends dad said I will probably keep the TV, but to put it back in the box and tape it up for good measures. Thanks for the help everyone!
-Kyle
__________________
"Killing brain cells since 1988"
  #40  
Old 01/05/2008, 01:42 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
I think you made a good decision. Your friends father is also more then likely correct. Had it been like the scenario like I mentioned I would have sheepishly called the police with my tale of stupidity. They would already have had the report I would think.

By the way you found it in what town? I have a couple of calls to make. Just kidding, of course. That is some positive Karma by making that call.
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #41  
Old 01/05/2008, 01:52 PM
drparker drparker is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 70
Good choice. I believe in "pay it forward" an your effort to find the owner has done just that.
  #42  
Old 01/06/2008, 03:02 PM
N3gative Cr33p N3gative Cr33p is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 295
Send a message via AIM to N3gative Cr33p Send a message via Yahoo to N3gative Cr33p
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjr
And another thing: I am not a member of the morality police. My full time association with the puppy mill police does not allow me to moonlight for other enforecement agencies.
Thank god for this...
  #43  
Old 01/06/2008, 03:17 PM
little_squid little_squid is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: joliet,il
Posts: 805
now you will have to wait for your 1099 lmao
  #44  
Old 01/06/2008, 03:50 PM
Steverino Steverino is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: western Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 1,081
slave-of-rock, you have done the right thing...

.....and for whoever said that if it flew out the back of the truck, and they decided not to go back for it because it would have been trashed, obviously doesn not have the same kind of "lost remote" syndrom my family has. I would have gone back just for the remote control.
  #45  
Old 01/06/2008, 04:17 PM
adamjr adamjr is offline
The Puppy Mill Police
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Far North Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjr
And another thing: I am not a member of the morality police. My full time association with the puppy mill police does not allow me to moonlight for other enforecement agencies.
Quote:
Originally posted by N3gative Cr33p
Thank god for this...
I don't know but I think most would prefer it if I switched affiliations.
__________________
Puppies in pet shops mostly come from puppy mills where caged females stacked several high, soaked in feces are bred until they are too weak to breed. Do not support stores that support puppy mills.
  #46  
Old 01/06/2008, 04:50 PM
slave-of-rock slave-of-rock is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NW chicago burbs'
Posts: 3,972
Send a message via AIM to slave-of-rock
Quote:
Originally posted by Steverino
slave-of-rock, you have done the right thing...

.....and for whoever said that if it flew out the back of the truck, and they decided not to go back for it because it would have been trashed, obviously doesn not have the same kind of "lost remote" syndrom my family has. I would have gone back just for the remote control.
Ha nice. The TV works, I just tried it out heh.
__________________
"Killing brain cells since 1988"
  #47  
Old 01/07/2008, 12:39 AM
Cuby2k Cuby2k is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: City of Salt :(
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally posted by Steverino
slave-of-rock, you have done the right thing...

DITTO
__________________
Rod "Cuby"
  #48  
Old 01/07/2008, 02:04 AM
slave-of-rock slave-of-rock is offline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NW chicago burbs'
Posts: 3,972
Send a message via AIM to slave-of-rock
Cuby maby me and you should talk more, your a mechanical engineer, and that is my major 8D.
__________________
"Killing brain cells since 1988"
  #49  
Old 01/07/2008, 03:01 AM
Mojo Jojo Mojo Jojo is offline
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,726
Glad it worked!
__________________
To stay young it requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods
  #50  
Old 01/07/2008, 09:53 AM
Cuby2k Cuby2k is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: City of Salt :(
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally posted by slave-of-rock
Cuby maby me and you should talk more, your a mechanical engineer, and that is my major 8D.
Good for you! I have been out of school for a few years, well quite a few but lets not go there.

Chemistry was never my strong point but I find the stuff we need to know in this hobby relatively straight forward. The real love for me in getting started was all of the pumps and piping and water movement. I love the corals and like the fish!
__________________
Rod "Cuby"
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef Central Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2009