Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/13/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

100% water change

can anybody tell me what affect a 100% water change using water from a shops system would have to cure smelly and clouding water?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:06 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Smelly? If you want to change that much, I would break up the percentage into intervals to add up to 100%, not all at one time. Personally, I would change about a third, add some carbon, and see if that does not help. If not, change another third a few weeks later and add more carbon.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:15 PM
Will work for coral

i kinda agree with amph.. but you dont need to wait a few weeks.. do a 30% water change.. wait a 4-5 hours, do another 30% water change, then wait a day, do another 30% water change.

that'll add up to 90% water change with about 82% of your old water has now been changed out.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:20 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by dippin61
i kinda agree with amph.. but you dont need to wait a few weeks.. do a 30% water change.. wait a 4-5 hours, do another 30% water change, then wait a day, do another 30% water change.

that'll add up to 90% water change with about 82% of your old water has now been changed out.
This works just fine, though you need to make sure all parameters match so things don't get stressed out. That is why I recommend that most people give it at least a week or two, unless they are confident they can have everything on par.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

water

but surely using water from a shops system will have good prams so why no do it in one hit?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:31 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Re: water

Quote:
Originally posted by stephen sykes
but surely using water from a shops system will have good prams so why no do it in one hit?
It is not that it has good parameters, it is that it somewhat closely matches that of a well maintained system (preferably yours as much as possible). This includes temperature. Why not use good quality mixed seawater that has been aged and aerated instead of water from another tank?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

water

how long should i leave the water mixed before adding it to my tank?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:38 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

At least 24 hours to make sure it is adequately aerated and that some irritants have precipatated, etc. and to make sure the temperature is where it should be.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

algae

thanks for that. have you read my questions on the strange algae blooms im getting?
Old 01/13/2007, 03:53 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Re: algae

Quote:
thanks for that. have you read my questions on the strange algae blooms im getting?
I have not. If you would like, I could take a look at it if you would direct me to that thread.
Old 01/13/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

alge

well its like this. when the lights are on from 8am to 8 pm this brown algae grows on the sand and rocks in the afternoon. if the lights are off between these times the algae makes the water cloudy between 12 and 4 in the afternoon. i've got my lights on between 5pm and 10pm at the moment as the algae doesnt grow at this time of night?
Old 01/13/2007, 04:09 PM
Will work for coral

Re: water

Quote:
yeh.. as amph has said, its not that the water your gonna use is on par, it needs to match up with your old water.

if you just jump in and do a 100% WC, then your fish, and everything else in your tank will get stressed from the difference in water parameters. there would be a ph swing, temperature, possibly alk and all other parameters.

its always better, if you want to do a 100% WC to do them in smaller increments as to not have such a swing in parameters. by doing smaller ones, it gives the water time to assimilate with the rest of the system, thereby less of a change over a longer amount of time.

true its not as efficient as a 100% WC, but whats more important, getting it done quick, or getting it done in a manner that will least affect your system.
Old 01/13/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

water

i have no fish, just a clean up crew. started to notice purple algae growing like mad over the areas affected by tiny geeen hair algae so i might just keep doing what in doing. im just worried that when i put lights back to 12 hours through the day, this brown algae will take over everything again?
Old 01/13/2007, 04:53 PM
RC Mod

So is the purple algae coralline? A picture might help (might not).

The algae is likely to return when the lights are put back on. I'd try the series of 30% water changes, personally. You might have been unlucky and got some live rock that was contaminated.

Got your e-mails. Hope your questions are answered?
Old 01/13/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

algae

yes its coralline algae. does this mean the rocks ok?
Old 01/13/2007, 05:00 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Re: algae

Quote:
yes its coralline algae. does this mean the rocks ok?
Indeed it does.
Old 01/13/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

algae

i think the best thing i can do is ride it out. a man from the shop was gona come and dump water out and add loads of corals and put new water in. after we'd had the tank running for 2 months he came for a look after i'd rang him about this huge algae bloom. he noticed there was a block in the pipe from the pump so it wasnt pumping as much as it should be. after he removed blockage it pumps 10 times faster. so, the tank has been set up for nearly 3 months but only pumping properly for 3 weeks, do you think these strange blooms will shift. you could set your watch by the water clouding in the afternoon....12.30 exactly!!
Old 01/13/2007, 05:15 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

That may help the tank as a whole, though I am not sure if it would immediately help the algae bloom. Go through with your water changes, etc. and ride it out.
Old 01/13/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

blooms

thanks i'll do that. so other than the 30% water changes, is there anything i can do to shif these blooms. will do the water tomorrow and keep you posted.
Old 01/13/2007, 07:16 PM
RC Mod

I think the water changes are the best bet for the moment. You've just been a bit unlucky with your live rock, in my best guess.
Old 01/14/2007, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

water change

my tank is 80 liters. i have just mixed up 50 liters of salt water and put them in sealed buckets, i will leave them for 24 hours, maybe longer, then change 30% of the water. then i will change another 30% 4-5 hours later. then i will mix some more and change another 30% 24 hours later and add some nutrafin cycle. does everything sound correct? thanks for listening, much appreciated.
Old 01/14/2007, 08:15 AM
Drunken Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AllenFord_SC
Make sure the new water is being aerated by a powerhead and is the correct SG and PH and Temp as the tank to reduce stress on the inhabitants. Putting it in a sealed bucket won't help with the "aging" of the water.
Old 01/14/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

water

i have'nt got a spare powerhead! should i leave lids off and stir every couple of hours?
Old 01/14/2007, 04:05 PM
RC Mod

I'd check the pH carefully now and then. Which salt are you using? Some mix up to a high initial pH. For the long term, it's best to get a spare powerhead or an airpump and airstone.
Old 01/14/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

water

im using kent salt. i have an air pump but no tube might take power head out of tank and put it in the mixed water whilst im at work tomorrow.