Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 08/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Filter socks good or bad?

I am using a 100 micron filter sock on one side of my sump,which discharges to the skimmer side with return pump in middle of sump,the other side is unfiltered with water falling directly into refugium. I have noticed that the filter is usually light brown in color after 1-2 days,upon further inspection I have noticed many different and small creatures caught inside sock ,microfauna or plankton I hope.Do you think the benefits of this filter sock filtering food and detrius is better than the unwanted removal of these organisms?
Old 08/26/2007, 02:27 PM
Moved On

i use filter socks to cut down on micro bubbles from the overflow. i always take them off for a few hours during feeding and add a short length of pipe to extend the overflow down to just below water level. i also have 4 or 5 for each system and replace them daily, letting them sit with trapped food particles in them causes the trapped food to brake down into NO3 much quicker and doesn't allow the skimmer to pull them out.
Old 08/26/2007, 02:48 PM
~~ P.P.P.P.P.P.P ~~

Re: Filter socks good or bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by dover101
I have noticed that the filter is usually light brown in color after 1-2 days,upon further inspection I have noticed many different and small creatures caught inside sock ,microfauna or plankton I hope.Do you think the benefits of this filter sock filtering food and detrius is better than the unwanted removal of these organisms?
Good description dover101 , and Welcome to Reef Central !!
As you have seen, filter socks work. Using them continously will filter your water column of everything down to 100 micron.
I use socks when I clean or rearrange the display on the sump entry side - but only as long as it takes to clear the water back. TinMan
Old 08/26/2007, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Jetcat that sounds like a lot of work. Why not just turn off the return pump when you feed?

You mention that you have them to stop bubbles in the sump, not for filtration. Again, the amount of work seems large for something that may be fixable by other simple means.

Can you describe your overflow setup?
Old 08/26/2007, 03:42 PM
Moved On

it's not a biggie at all, takes about 5 seconds to take a sock off or put one on, and the short pipe about another 5 seconds to put on/take off.

turning off the return is not practical it feeds both the tank and the chiller (which also controls the heating), i feed nightly (Bangii and the corals) if the return was off the tank temp would drop considerably.
Old 08/26/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

T man thanks for your input,you actually answered my question, rather than responding off topic. Im wondering if it is possible to filter out all desirable microfauna by continuing to use these,maybe I should use a larger micron size.
Old 08/26/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

All the 5 second chores in the day tend to add up. I try to eliminate as much of that stuff as I can

I turn off the return pump when I feed (push a button and a timer does the rest). It is off for an hour so I don't have any problems with temperature.

I was going to run filter socks, but see no benefit in my setup. I have zero bubbles going into the sump and a very large settling area. I know that changing them and keeping them clean would be something I would not keep up with.
Old 08/26/2007, 04:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
.......I was going to run filter socks, but see no benefit in my setup.
i don't use them on all of my setups but the ones i do use them on they work great, no loss of micro funa that is significant enough to be worth mentioning. i don't think the less then 30 seconds it takes to swap one is taking away from my day enough to be wroth mentioning either, to each their own.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
i don't think the less then 30 seconds it takes to swap one is taking away from my day enough to be wroth mentioning either, to each their own.
It sounds like you may have somehow taken offense to my comments. I was just curious as to your reasoning and your setup as well as mentioning mine. Yes, to each their own. Everyone has a unique way of doing things and of valuing their time and enjoyment of their hobby.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:33 PM
Moved On

no i took no offense at all, I'm just stating that it's no bother to me to do the socks. allot less hassle then turning off the return pump or re-plumbing the sump for the micro bubbles.

I'm sure RichCarnley (sp) will pop in and make a comment before to long that will swear that anyone who uses the socks is dooming their tank but till then I'm hunky dory, i just type things out bluntly and it's often misinterpreted
Old 08/26/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

That makes two of us (the blunt thing). It gets me in a lot of trouble here I guess.

I think Rich falls right into the same category as well.

I know for sure I would not change them often enough (I have a 2 month old bag of carbon that is begging to be changed).

The silent overflow was one of the most imortant aspects of my enture setup. The is inwall and faces my home theater. The door to the fishroom is in my office. All was good until I used an OR3500 for a skimmer pump. I can hear it in both rooms and I hate it.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:51 PM
Moved On

they defiantly aren't recommended for the 'lazy' (no offense intended to anyone) who isn't going to swap/clean them regularly, they do quieten falling water considerably though.

and no honestly i don't think Rich is in the same category, he IMO intentionally posts confrontational just to stir the pot. just a few weeks ago he posted how a filter sock would cause a fish that jumped in the overflow to decompose to nothing but a skeleton in a few hours. just to prove he was full of it i stuck some silversides in a sock and took pics every hour.........needless to say they didn't decompose at all and i left them overnight, it was then explained it had to be a live fish, frozen wouldn't work, i used feeder guppies and they too didn't decompose so then it had to be a Royal Garamma, i ain't paying 30 bucks to kill a fish to prove he's not the most truthful in his postings so i left it at that.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

When it comes to tank husbandry... I am lazy.

I would venture to say that they do not harm anything and actually help matters (as long as they are changed frequently enough).

I am also not one that strives for crystal clear water. I run carbon to keep the light penetration high and a skimmer to keep the organics as low as I can (I overfeed a LOT). Other than that, the detritus settles in the sump and I ignore it.
Old 08/26/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

If they are cleaned or replaced regularly what bad can they cause?
Old 08/26/2007, 05:57 PM
Moved On

they cause no harm at all if cleaned/changed regularly, if not they only help to brake down organics they trap quicker (high O2 environment) rather then allowing them to be skimmed out.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

I'm pro sock and use/change them religiously. Just wondering if there is "real" evidence in them doing harm.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:15 PM
Moved On

theres no harm either way, but if you don't change them regularly your NO3 levels are likely to be more elevated then if you didn't use them. they will get to the point they simply overflow they are so stopped up and at that point they are just another form of bubble trap
Old 08/26/2007, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

I think this will depend on where the detritus goes. If not in the sock then where?
Old 08/26/2007, 06:19 PM
Moved On

if not into the sock some gets skimmed out, if you have a slow flow sump it settles there and just decomposes either way. that's where the 'To each their own' comes into play, in some cases not using one can be worse for your water quality.........
Old 08/26/2007, 10:53 PM
Wife and dog.

I am pro socks. I have 0 problems, 0 nitrates and my tank looks great. I change them every 2 to 3 days depending on the coloring. I then take them and bleach them in the washer and then run a second cycle with water only. Works like a charm for me. I have a routine, I tend to change the filter socks when I refill the Kalk dripper, so the total time is a minute or so, not including kalk mixing.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/27/2007, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

OK,
I have a question......I am using socks as well & I am changing them out every week when I do my water changes. Question is, how long does it usually take for organics to break down into nitrates? I have @ 15ppm nitrates & want to lower that number. Is it possible that the filter socks need to be changed more often?
ALL INPUT HERE IS GOOD!

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

I would imagine the stuff starts to break down as soon as it is caught. You may want to try changing eveyr other day and see how it affects your nitrates.
Old 08/28/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Re: Filter socks good or bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by dover101
[BI have noticed that the filter is usually light brown in color after 1-2 days,upon further inspection I have noticed many different and small creatures caught inside sock ,microfauna or plankton I hope.Do you think the benefits of this filter sock filtering food and detrius is better than the unwanted removal of these organisms? [/B]
hey fellas not trying to hijack this thread (if it seems that way just point me out and i will post a separate thread)...

i have been contemplating this same issue
in my 125 mixed reef... i was told by the LFS that NO SPONGES/sox/nothing (should be used) blocking the flow throughout the system and to let the skimmer/DSB do the work removing stuff etc.... let the particles 'flow' thr system... food for corals etc etc

basically i have accumulation of detritus in my DSB that has my phosphates up at .048 which i have not been able to get down even w/adding 50GAL fuge w/ macro-chaeto (i have never been able to read nitrates in my system iow always zero... but phosph on other hand...)... this is result of not having enuff flow for the first 3-5 mos the system was set up (i am ordering a phosban reactor based on JETCATS thread!)

which brings me to (hijacking) this thread...

i have 2 filter sox that came w/ one of my sumps when i purchased it... but have never used them... and w/ the thinking that they would take out too much of the 'good stuff' i opted not to add them to the system...

now w/ detritus build up in my DSB and now accumulating in the DSB of the fuge i set up (i have now started 'vacuming' it out wherever i see it in system)... i am thinking its time to add the filter sox... but i still dont know mainly bec i dont want to disturb the 'pod' population and the free floating 'good stuff' throughout the system...

i have been surprised at the number of people who freely use them w/o any thought about the good critters etc that the sox would be removing.

do the benefits far outway the negatives (assuming they are changed on a regular basis)

what about all the 'good stuff' that is supposed to be floating around feeding the corals, pods etc

or is the sock more for the established tank where these people are less concerned w/ the fauna issues ???

thank and regards
Old 08/28/2007, 04:23 AM
Premium Member

Well,
I still have not gotten the answer that I was hoping for but, I use socks & have for a long time. When I change them out I empty the pods that were caught by the socks back into my tank. The fish & corals will eat them right away if they are caught.

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:59 AM
Moved On

Rockit

the trapped debris start breaking down fairly quickly, with that said i change mine every day to every other day and take them off during my nightly feedings (not during the daily feedings) and my NO3 levels in my reefs stay less then 5ppm and in most cases near undetectable with a PinPoint NO3 monitor.

Ronan

I've used socks on the 180 from the GFO thread and when i drained it the other day the last 1/2" of water had a few gazillion pods in it and as i pulled rocks out the bottoms of them looked like you kicked a fire ant bed there were so many pods kicking/crawling around on them. that tank also had two spawning mandarins in it that were consuming more then their share of pods. between the socks and the Mandy's the pods still had an overwhelming population. it would therefore be my suggestion based on my personal experience that the minimal amount of micro funa that gets trapped in filter socks is so minuscule that the benefits far outweigh the loss of those very few losses.