Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions

Old 08/26/2007, 06:18 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Panties in a Bunch

Is it just me, or do a good number of RC members find it their duty--and yea, their pleasure--to mock, ridicule, insult and otherwise impolitely belittle people with whom they disagree?

So you don't agree with someone's coral ID; someone's idea on lighting doesn't match your own experience; tangs in a 50G...gasp! Why is it so necessary to say things impolitely? I feel like I've walked into a room full of reef equivalent Ann Coulters and Tucker Carlsons. People who take a moral (or otherwise) high ground and do it meanly.

I'm a big boy and can take criticism and name calling. I work with teenage prostitutes and street kids on a daily basis, so I have pretty tough skin. But I'd like to think I can leave the faux-superior posturing, belittling and know-it-all attitudes at work with the crack ho's and pimps. Never thought I'd find it here.

What a disappointment.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

I think most people on RC are generally polite. There are a few that come off harshly but if you look past HOW it is said (it's easy to read into what someone says online and take it the wrong way) and get what they mean it's better.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to JJ21
i agree with both of you

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 08/26/2007, 06:40 PM
sedentaryologist

Its not just the reef forums, its prettymuch everywhere that more and more people are acting like that. Welcome to the ME generation.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 08/26/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Certain topics seem to bring out more of the flame wars. Post a thread about certain skimmers, for example, and sit back and watch the fireworks.

Don't understand this.

There are few absolutes in this hobby and we all learn by reading the opinions and about the experiences of others. Some, more than others, tend to add a bit of venom to their replys.

For what it's worth.
Old 08/26/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Anonymity seems to foster arrogance.IMO
Old 08/26/2007, 07:23 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Send a message via ICQ to Criminal#58369 Send a message via AIM to Criminal#58369 Send a message via Yahoo to Criminal#58369
Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10639341#post10639341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral Dilema
Its not just the reef forums, its prettymuch everywhere that more and more people are acting like that. Welcome to the ME generation.
See someone could think that you made a smart comment just for saying that 'Welcome to the ME generation' generally anything can be mis-interpreted.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 08/26/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Pea-brain
Why do people keep posting on this? And why in the reef discussion forum? This thread wouild certainly better in the lounge. IMO I think your overexagerating. Not to say there aren't alot of mean posters, cause there are, but most of it is read into the wrong way. Its always been that, some people will disagree with you alot and may get testy about it. Its not any different now, just the ways we express our anger and disagreement have changed.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 08/26/2007, 07:30 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I think the majority of people here are very pleasant. There's always the ignore list for any really bad seeds

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/26/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Reef Central seems to get more and more obnoxious and confrontational people on it as every day passes. I think this is due to the shear size. A few bad apples can easily spoil the pie. I'll go through spurts where ill start posting and then get tired of confrontational replies and quit for a while. I'm always back after a while though.
Old 08/26/2007, 08:47 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

You'll also notice a lot of the bad apples tend not to last on here for too long...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/26/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

I don't find RC any worse than most forums on the internet. In fact it's better than most.

The bottom line is there are a lot of helpful people, and you (generally speaking) can get good advice and help on a lot of topics. I wouldn't be doing a reef tank if RC wasn't here.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:23 PM
Nano Reefer

RC is definitely mild compared to a lot of forums that I have been on.

My suggestion, utilize the ignore user list. Mine's growing every day.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:01 PM
Mortar Target

This is what the "Ignore" feature is designed for. If you notice someone that adds nothing to any conversation, simply put them on your ignore list; then you don't have to read any of their comments.
Old 08/26/2007, 10:45 PM
_

I think also sometimes things are taken the wrong way on the internet. When speaking with someone you can say one thing in 2 different tones of voice and mean 2 different things. Here on the internet we don't have that luxury.

Sarcasm and joking are good examples... typed out on the internet they don't always look as funny as the poster had hoped.
Old 08/26/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10640127#post10640127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
You'll also notice a lot of the bad apples tend not to last on here for too long...

Yea and I like seeing the ( Moved on ) at the bottom of their names. Hehe
Old 08/27/2007, 01:07 AM
Slightly Obsessed

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the ignore feature! Bam!

I agree that, online, we don't have the luxury of interpreting the nuances of language, like we do face-to-face. There can, however, be little left to the imagination when it comes to some posts. Meanness has a way of showing itself!

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Most of the people on RC are great....I forgot to point that out
Old 08/27/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

You guys are lucky you get responses on RC. When I post a new thread, I hardly get any responses. Nobody likes my posts I guess http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/style_e...ault/shrug.gif
Old 08/27/2007, 02:13 AM
Moved On

Yeah, we had a good thread going on over fishing and some guy got a little too passionate and caused the thread to be locked Not cool at all.
Old 08/27/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I'm a mean poster every now and again.

I get frustrated after years of giving people good advice when someone comes along, makes something up, or repeats some heresay to contradict something I know to be true, or things that are backed by scientific research. I let these people have it.

This happens very often. Some newb comes along, gives some bad advice and since it is easier then the proven methods others newbs follow it. Then those of us that have been around are still here to help there person when there problem worsens, along comes some more ignorance.

I.E. there was a person giving advice on how to raise seahrose fry in the seahorse forum for over a year which contradicted every proven method out there. While it could have been new and exciting, after a year we come to find out this seahorse fry raising guru has never gotten fry past 6 weeks. Over a hundred memebers where led astray by her advice. We are still dealing with the myths this person created even a year after she was banned from this site and others.

In such situations, I act harshly and heavy handedly, but for the most part I'm a pretty nice chap no?
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 08/27/2007, 02:40 AM
Moved On

Truth is this is a passionate hobby,most people are passionate about there systems and truly care about their pets and other peoples pets.
When they hear of someone doing something wrong(in their opinion).It upsets them,some people are just plain mean and take pleasure in ridiculing somebody else for their efforts to learn.Some people think they know it all and cant take other peoples advice,even when givin to someone else.Different strokes for different folks,To each his own,ect.I myself get a little ticked when I see someone giving bad advice,But thats what this site is for,to "listen"to all advice givin and make your own decision on what to do.Whats the chances of there being all cool people in a public forum with thousands?LOL Get Real.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:31 AM
Aquarium Addict

I try to listen to what I came here to hear and ignore the rest.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:53 AM
Killer of Giants

I agree, when certain people possess a little knowledge that a majority of people don't (because it's not mainstream) they can feel a little empowered and talk down to those who are not "in the know". Most reasonbaly intelligent people could possess that knowledge if they had an interest or chose to study up.

I've only had one person on RC act like a telephone tough guy, and I've got $20 in my pocket that says they wouldn't speak to me like that in person.

That said, I mostly feel pity for the know it alls that get confrontational on what is supposed to be a friendly and enjoyable place.

I ALWAYS try to qualify my statements with, IME, IMO, or just my 2cents so people know they can take or leave what I'm saying.

Great Post, sorry for the rant!
Old 08/27/2007, 09:42 AM
RC Admin

<i>This thread has been moved to the current forum.</i>

I agree with many of the posts in this thread.
It is so difficult to express emotion behind a keyboard, it's truly an art-form that most cannot master. What many people would read as sarcastic or condescending, if you were standing in front of that person using the exact same words, it would be different. And also, yes, the internet breeds internet muscles.

Good discussion, let's keep it civil and this definitely did not belong in Reef Discussion so I moved it.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc