Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/08/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Best Brand of Tank

I am planning on upgradling to something in the 120 gallon range in the next couple of months. I began to think with that much water sitting in my house I should do some research into the brand of tank I choose. I am looking for a good, reliable tank (no need for starfire glass etc). I would also like there to be clean edges, good silicon and such. I would like anyone's input as to their experiences with the various manufacturers of tanks.

Thanks!
Old 12/08/2007, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to The Saltman
You will find there to be a very wide variety of opinion on this subject. I think the bottom line to remember though is that in the end, the big three manufacturers(all glass, oceanic, and perfecto) are pretty similar in quality. You will find many owners that have been happy for years with all 3. My suggestion is to look at each manufacturers tank and see what might fit your tastes because there are some differences in dimensions and top braces, etc.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

For a 120 I would go with Perfecto. I have had a few aga tanks, but like my perfecto more. They use black silicon, and include the durso pipes with the tank. I also think the glass is thicker, but don't know for sure.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to spamreefnew
my oceaniac is the best built tank iv ever had nice thick chrystal clear glass,,,,,,,,the only thing i dont like is that the silicone seems a bit soft,,,it gets little "chips"taken out fo it when i scrub the algae off it
Old 12/09/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

my friend gave me a tank for free. So i made a stand and set it up... i was looking around on it and found a date under the glass dec 1991 . It is an oceanic tank. if i was buying a glass tank i would not hesitate to buy one from oceanic.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

I have an AGA 210g. and an Oceanic 75g.

My 2 month old AGA leaked around the bottom silicone.Luckily for me it was under warranty.If I had to do it again,I would of spent more for an Oceanic.

AGA has 2 year warranty.
Oceanic has lifetime warranty.

Which would you choose?

Anthias junky,keeping:dispars,carberryi,bartelettorum,evansi,squamipinnis,tuka, pulcherrimus, paravirostris
Old 12/09/2007, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

I would say Deltec
Old 12/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Flips"R"us...U?

Send a message via Yahoo to hawaiianwargod
Check out elos tanks....quality is awesome!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 12/09/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

What about AGE? (for a custom tank mfg?)

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/09/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

I used to sell AGA and Oceanic tanks. Perfecto made decent tanks- in some unusual shapes- but their breakage in use was about 1000% higher than the other brands- so I would only special order them. Overall I have had the least problems with AGA. They have a better price point as well as silicone that handles scraping better than oceanic as has been noted prior. The key is inspection though- I purchased- or rather had my wife purchase my last tank locally- a aga 65- and it should not have been sold. There are chips all over the edges- sloppy silicone, and even a thumbprint size "crush" in the glass at the top under the trim- done at the factory and siliconed over. I consider this to be a fault of the manufacurer for letting it past QC- but for a dealer to sell it is incredible. I would still go for a well inspected aga though. Oceanics trim and edge finish doesnt make up for its scratch happy glass and "feathering" silicone.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I have both a 180aga and a 156oceanic. Love the oceanic for clarity but scratching is very easy. I think I prefer aga braceing ( oceanic big glass brace kills middle lighting). All in all if I had to get another it would be the one that offers the biggest tank for the area I have available to put it.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

good points-TAT forgot about bracing and agree.