Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 11/19/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to maitai123
Toadstool fighting for dominance..is this possible?

Folks,

I have a 325 gallon tank with a mixture of coral and fish. Its been running for 1 year. I "had" a toad stool leather that was enormous. It was about 10 inches in diameter, and was the highlight of the tank. About 6 months ago I added two small toadstools.

Both were about 3 inches in diameter and are located 3 feet away from what was the giant in the tank. They are doing fine, tenticles extended, good color, etc.

It could be a coincidence but it seemed to me that the moment I introduced them to the tank, my big leather objected to them being there. He is now only 10% of his former size.

Has anyone else experienced this happening?

Can leathers have chemical wars against each other?

If the answer is yes to the above, then is the only solution to remove the two new additions?

Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

Hobby Experience: 18 years. Mix of fresh & salt tanks
Current Tanks: 325 gallon reef
Interests: fishkeeping / mountain biking / boating / sailing
Old 11/19/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

It's possible depending on the species involved.

Improving water flow, as well as running carbon/purigen should help get the toxins out of the system.
Old 11/19/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a few large sarcophytons that are touching and I do not see chemical warfare. However they do try and shade eachother.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

toad stool leathers are able to use chemical warfare--the secrete growth inhibiting hormones into the water if another coral is preceived as a threat.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to maitai123
Thanks for the input. As my tank is 9 feet long, with the big toad stool (used to be anyway) about 2 feet from one corner, I relocated the other small toad stool leathers to the far end of the opposite corner. Now they are 6 week away from the one that experienced distress.

I also increased the water flow around him using a tunze pump last night.

This morning when I awoke I checked the tank and he has perked up just a bit, not a sweeping change, (but anything positive is encouraging).

I hope this does the trick.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Six months ago this toadstool developed some kind of spotting on it. Eventually it grew and split itself around the growth forming an island, so as to cut it out like a surgeon. Then is grew the edges together again

six months ago

today: