Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 10/05/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Should carbon be used?

Hi everyone,

I have a new 55 gallon setup with about 80 lbs of rock, 7 fish and a few coral. Filteration is a skimmer and a small refuge. I will be adding a canister for mechanical filteration soon.

Should I add carbon to this canister or run it only with sponge /floss?

There are many posts that say carbon extracts good things from the water.

Please advise.
Thanks!!
Old 10/05/2007, 05:38 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

i would go ahead and use the carbon because it takes the impurities, foul smells out of the water and also the yellow coloration which some times exists, hope this helps...
Old 10/05/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Hi

How often would the carbon need to be replaced? In my fresh water tanks, I used to change the carbon after 2 weeks.

Thanks
Old 10/05/2007, 05:45 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

I would suggest the same regime as with your fresh water, it also depends on how much you feed, hope this helps...
Old 10/05/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

You'll find many different answers to the carbon debate. I use carbon one day a week just to remove the yellow coloration from the water, but really is not needed for my setup. What kinds of coral do you have in your tank.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

IMO you do not need the canister. The sponge/floss can be a source of nitrates if you are not diligent in the cleaning.

If you have a good skimmer (this is probably the most important filtering equipment, so make sure it is a good one), live rock, and a fuge (even a small one that can house some chaeto, then you should be fine as long as you have enough flow. You didn't mention substrate, but I like aragonite sand.

You could get a phosban reactor and run phosban in it for a month or so, then put in carbon for a couple days to help with any yellowing, then put the phosban back in, and repeat. Phosban usually lasts a few months, but you could always use less and change more often. Or you could get 2 reactors.

I am not a fan of running carbon 24/7, but pleanty of people do. I prefer doing the same as ILoveReefer and running it for a day once a week (or doing what I described above).
Old 10/05/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

carbons good to run make sure you rinse it well before you put it in your tank.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Carbon occasionally. One week out of four is plenty. You can even skip months without noticing it too much. I only run carbon for a the month before I'm going to have "company" come over. Like, I'll run a batch mid October-November so that my tank smells good for thanksgiving. Your tank smelling a bit is natural and isn't the sign of a sick tank. But it smells. Carbon really helps remove those organics that make the smell.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Mavrk is right about the canister filters. The sponge/floss can create nitrate problems. You'll hear these filters sometimes called by fellow reefers "Nitrate factories".
But a good skimmer and your 80lbs of live rock in 55g tank is all the filtration you need.
good luck albatross666
Old 10/06/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Hi

How about mechanical filtering? How should that be done? Should I use a 100 micron sock on the down flow to my sump?

How can I remove the fish poop?

Thanks
Old 10/06/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Filter socks work great providing you clean it often. If not maintained they can lead to the same problems as the sponge/floss.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

How can I remove the fish poop? You already have several filters in your aquarium. Live rock is a fliter (home of micro organisms and bacteria), corals are often filter feeders "meaning they eat poop", sand bed/crushed coral bed (can support o variety of bacterias and micro organism "poop eaters"), and the protien skimmer removes most other dead organics. If you have good circulation in your tank most of your natural processes will do most of the work. Sometimes when doing a water change I siphon the water out of the dead spots(the areas that don't have cood circulation is where the undesirable stuff collects). This really is all the filtration you need. If you want to use a filter sock to catch larger debris before entering the sump thats fine just clean it often.
There are other helpers out like hermit crabs that also helps with sanitation.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Ok, great stuff guys! I need to read up on what everyone calls the "cleaner crew".

So what about powerheads? I have powerheads (aqua clear 50s) with the quick filter on the intake.

Should I use the filters on them or not? Also, my HOB overflos has the sponges on them too. Should I remove them? Do they also qualify as the nirtate factory?

Thanks
Old 10/06/2007, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Please do read up on "cleanup crew" they will make your tank easier to maintain. Power heads (the more the better), current is your friend. Quick filters on the intake and sponges on your HOB overflows both can be nirtate factory. But they can be used if cleaned weekly or sometimes more often depending on your bioload (how many fish). Make sure your fish cant get sucked into your powerheads if you take the quick filters off.