Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)

Old 10/07/2007, 04:03 AM
Tailspot Blenny

OT: Photography - Model Shoot at UC Berkeley

San Francisco's traffic was nightmarish today, so I took one of my models to UC Berkeley Campus to take some pictures. This is why I didn't make it to the Dixon Frag Swap.

See all photos: http://flickr.com/photos/kinetic

Teasers:

Model: Stephanie W.

Old 10/07/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Very nice pictures and lady I might add- what a nice change from seeing pictures of corals!
Old 10/07/2007, 12:11 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Nice pics as usual, Art.

So why don't you ever have your models display the cool equipment you always have for sale?

Oh, right.... because people will say, "What tank? There's a tank in the pic?"

Old 10/07/2007, 01:44 PM
Byte mechanic

Hey, can you frag ...

Ha ha!

(Don't tell my wife)

V
Old 10/07/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Great pics man! What camera/lens combo are you using?
Old 10/07/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Damn ..... great model .... and pictures too.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:18 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
Great pics man! What camera/lens combo are you using?
Just a Nikon and a cheap 50mm lens.

I was also using a 52" reflector, a strobe unit, fill flash on camera... a warm polalrizing filter, and some other stuff... the camera lens combo was the least of my concerns that day =)
Old 10/07/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I have a D80 with a 18-200mm lens as my main lens and a 105 macro. But have lots to learn still.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:25 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
I have a D80 with a 18-200mm lens as my main lens and a 105 macro. But have lots to learn still.
That's a good combo. I used to use the 18-200mm for everything, even portraits. Turns out really nice. I like the 50mm F/1.8d for portraits now. It gives a nice close crop and tack on sharpness.

the 105mm f/2.8 is also great for portraits, though for more headshots, shoulder ups, and such. I used to use my 105mm but sometimes you have to work in cramped quarters, so it's more difficult to get the range you want.

Best way to learn is to get out there and take a ton of photos =)
Old 10/08/2007, 12:48 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

Very nice pik's indeed!
Old 10/08/2007, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to nanoguy
Very nice pics. I was considering purchasing an SLR. I have a Canon S3 IS right now. It's supposed to be a split between a point and shoot and an SLR from what I've read when I purchased it. The pics I get off the camera is ok but low light pics suck the big one! I would like to purchase an SLR. Any recommendations on one that won't break the bank?

Elos 70 (30"x22.5"x20)

Semi-Cube (36"36"x24" old setup)

DIY Stand Build Thread
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1207997
Old 10/08/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nanoguy
Very nice pics. I was considering purchasing an SLR. I have a Canon S3 IS right now. It's supposed to be a split between a point and shoot and an SLR from what I've read when I purchased it. The pics I get off the camera is ok but low light pics suck the big one! I would like to purchase an SLR. Any recommendations on one that won't break the bank?
Since you're using a Canon already, I would take a look at the Canon Rebel XT or XTi. It will be a lot easier to switch between the UI with two Canon cameras.

Before you make the purchase though, you really have to ask yourself if you want to lug a SLR around with you. I have the XT, but most of my photos are taken with my SD800, and before that, the SD300, just because when I'm out, I like something I can just shove in my pocket.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 10/09/2007, 02:35 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeper1
Since you're using a Canon already, I would take a look at the Canon Rebel XT or XTi. It will be a lot easier to switch between the UI with two Canon cameras.
Not necessarily. The SLR UI's are pretty different, and it would not be THAT much more difficult to learn the UI of other systems. These cameras are designed in mind of ease of use, so Sony, Nikon, etc. don't have UI's in such a fashion that it would be any worse to learn than going from Canon to Canon. What is most important is how you like the feel of the camera in your hand, the placement of buttons, etc. Placement of buttons, dials, and everything must be relearned REGARDLESS of what point and shoot you had previously. The layout changes dramatically, and so do the menus. I'm not saying Don't look into Canon's, but don't make that your only choice just because of UI. The UI for any camera is an easy thing to learn compared to everything else photography. Knowing the UI a bit better right off won't get you a better picture.

Quote:
Before you make the purchase though, you really have to ask yourself if you want to lug a SLR around with you. I have the XT, but most of my photos are taken with my SD800, and before that, the SD300, just because when I'm out, I like something I can just shove in my pocket.
I always regret not lugging my SLR with me. It becomes a way of life, kind of how some women carry gigantic purses everywhere...

I hike with tons of camera gear, I go out all the time with a small camera bag, etc. But that's just me.

Since you already have a point and shoot, a SLR would be nice to take with you when you KNOW you want to take photos. But of course not to replace your point in shoot in your pocket. In those times when you go out particularily to shoot pictures, you'll wish you had a SLR.

So the bottom line is, if you want to get into photography and learn all about it, get a SLR. And to choose the one you want, go and try a bunch. I'd also suggest seeing what your peers have in terms of SLR's. It's great to go shooting with people with the same brand, thus you can try out new lenses / gear, get technical help from friends, and help them out in return.

I chose Nikon because a bunch of my friends had them, and we were able to swap lenses, and teach other about cool functions we discovered.

I've owned a Sony S85 point and shoot, Nikon F2a Film body, Nikon D70 DSLR, and now a Nikon D80.

Goodluck =)
Old 10/09/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

I'm starting to take my camera out more and more since I'm becoming more familiar with it. I must say a big factor is what kind of bag you have. While I have a small Lowepro Slingshot 100 bag I can pretty much take anywhere with two lenses and even fit my camcorder in while a buddy of mine has a huge bag tha's about 3 times the size of mine that makes it realy unpleasant for him to take out.

Kenetic's right, test both models out and see which one feels better in your hand and how you like the button layout. I actually bought both the D80 and Xti and used them for a week. After the week I kept the Nikon and returned the Canon. The Canon just felt too hard to hold in my hands.
Old 10/09/2007, 04:46 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I've been using the Slingshot 100AW for about a year and a half now. It's a great bag, but after awhile the one shoulder got too heavy for all my gear over one shoulder. The zipper broke, and I saw an opportunity!

So I bought a big Crumpler Whickey and Cox backpack while the lowepro goes in for warranty.

Let me say, the backpack holds ALL my gear (6 lenses or so, camera body, filters, laptop, etc). It's great to take around since it's so comfortable and holds everything very well. Big, yes, but easier and more pleasant to use. On smaller shoots I'll definitely take just the slingshot, but for big shoots of all day etc + hiking, a backpack is the way to go =)

Sure I'd used to just swing my bag around and pull out the camera, but switching lenses was still difficult, and I had to put the bag down sometimes. I always had my camera out anyway =P

with the backpack, i just put it on the ground, change some lenses with the safety of the backpack, and continue. It's pretty cool.

With a camera comes a lot of gear, so be ready for the cost. It's kind of like getting a new tank, you have to buy all the other stuff to make it work correctly =)
Old 10/09/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

You all forgot the most important thing.

Models tend to respect you more when you're using a SLR vs. a point and shoot.
I'll find my soul as I go home
Old 10/09/2007, 06:20 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
You all forgot the most important thing.

Models tend to respect you more when you're using a SLR vs. a point and shoot.
Models these days, so superficial! =)))

I find that the bigger the camera, and the longer the lens, the more people think you're a serious photographer. haha =)

I went on a shoot and these guys had these HUGE $2-3,000 lenses, I'm not sure for what, but I'm pretty sure my photos turned out way better with my $80 50mm f/1.8 pancake lens =)
Old 10/09/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Same here Kenetic! I went to my daughter's dance recital thinking my 18-200mm may be overkill. Boy was I wrong; there were other dads there with the fancy white 300mm looking Canon lenses that was over a foot long!
Old 10/09/2007, 06:51 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Same here Kenetic! I went to my daughter's dance recital thinking my 18-200mm may be overkill. Boy was I wrong; there were other dads there with the fancy white 300mm looking Canon lenses that was over a foot long!
haha yeah, I was at my girlfriend's undergrad graduation and I saw some 500mm's being pulled out. I asked the random guy to see his result on his LCD... he cut half of his son's head off and included some old guy's floppy hairy arm. I spotted his son, and took a shot with my 18-200mm and showed him the result (zoomed in a tad on the preview), no obstructions, well composed, straight horizon... he was like "wow! that must be a really expensive lens!" I almost laughed out loud. Seriously now, it's not the equipment =(

But trying to explain that money won't buy a good picture is impossible sometimes =)
Old 10/11/2007, 11:24 AM
Run little men, RUN!

As always - the pictures came out really great. Yeah, the model is nice too.

Good work Art.
Old 10/11/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Great lines in #3.

Might want to consider some of the poses in these. Also, take a look at the 50 1.4D and the 85 1.4D for your portraits in the future.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:05 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Hey Eric, have you heard about the 50 f/1.4d having focus issues? I saw a few tests where the 1.8d matched and exceeded 1.4d at certain apertures.

I shoot my portraits at f/2.8 usually, and the 1.8d already has great bokeh and all, so I probably won't go for the 1.4.

The 85, though... I definitely want that sometime in the future.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Not that I'm aware of. I used to own two copies of the 50 1.4D and sold off one of them to a buddy of mine in Hawaii (who has since moved to Portugal). I've done my own testing with both 50 1.4D vs. the 50 1.8D and they're comparable up to a point. If you shoot at f/2.8 or a smaller aperture, then stick with the 1.8D. If you open the lens up, then the 1.4D is the way to go. Since I'm usually at 1.4 or 2.0, I got rid of the 1.8D and have never looked back.

The 85 is in a class all it's own (similar to how the 70-200mm is). I've been sitting on the fence with that lens for awhile now.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:27 PM
Byte mechanic

My point-and-shoot-tale-of-woe...

So my wife and I were in Montreal and asked a girl (with long fingernails) to take a snapshot of us. So Sandy hand's her my Casio Exslim S600 (super thing camera) and she takes the picture and when she hands it back to me, it slips out of her hand and lands on the concrete... crack!

So while I LOVE the slimness of it (it lived in a tiny belt-clipped bag which was as unobtrusive as my cell phone case) it was so slim that it was hard to hang onto!

So now I have to replace it I was going to replace it with the same model, or same line of cameras to leverage the battery and accessories of the broken camera... but I'm thinking a more "holdable" camera might be better.

OR, I should just also carry a disposable camera for when we want pics of ourselves and have to hand the camera to a bystander. That way it's not a big deal if they drop it (they can probably survive a drop better anyway) and they won't be inclined to run away with it (and if they do...buy another!)

V
Old 10/11/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Vincerama2,

Did you have any sort of warranty on it? I don't know how true my warranty is but Ritz sales lady told me I can bring mine back in pieces and I would get a new one...