Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 11/25/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Amount of flow for a red lobo?

What amount of the flow lobophyllia can tolerate, inches/cm per second, by eyeballing?

My red lobo started to decline after being placed at the top, I suspect too high flow, but it's maybe 1-1.5 in/sec (3 cm/sec). Another, green lobo, longer in the tank, doing much better in the same conditions.

Frogspawns and hammers are tolerating trice higher flow without any problems. What else could be critical for lobophyllia? Tank parameters are good, except 10 ppm nitrates - working on it. Other corals are fine.

Red lobo is only 1 week in the tank, stopped eating. No bad neighbors around. I can try to move it, but would prefer to know where (light, flow, anything else).

Thanks.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AJPACINO23
what kind of lighting did it have? your lights may be too intence for it..
Old 11/26/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Sorry: 55W 10,000PC in maybe 11" (27cm) above coral.
Barely enough.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

If the frogspawn doesn't mind, I doubt its a flow issue. Sorry I know this isn't much help. I would probably move it closer to the other lobo for a day or so and see how it does (if possible).
Old 11/27/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Good, that it is not a flow - I have not too much choice.
Placed it next to the first lobo. Thanks!
Old 11/27/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

mainly i would consider the lighting as the problem, 55w is not enough for hard corals..
Old 11/27/2007, 02:30 PM
NaH2O

I think 55w is enough (for this coral at least) AS LONG as the coral is close enough to light source. Just my .02
Old 11/28/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

I can't increase the light because of deepwater fish with big eyes there, although the lighting set can produce twice more light, just turned off.

I tried to keep it almost at the top, but most of the flow is there (again because of this fish), plus coral contracted - I thought, that this it.

But since yesterday, seeing my new sun coral barfing out homemade coral food mix (modified Borneman's recipe this time), got another thought - may be it's food. The long time from the ocean LPS take more, than the newly arrived one.

So, will feed them by whole mysis and Ocean Plankton (the larger shrimps). Poor lobo - had indigestion...