Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 12/18/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Zoanthids not closing...

I have a several colonies of zoanthids. Lately I have noticed that one colony in particular does not seem to be thriving anymore. The polyps are small and recessed and the oral opening is jutting out. I have noticed this for a couple of days.

This morning when feeding the coral, I squirted some cyclopeeze on he colony. Normally they close up quickly on the food. Today, they did not close up at all. I touched several with my finger and they still stayed open.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? (if anything)

I will post pictures tonight.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:58 PM
RC Mod

There's a checklist for these issues if it's zoanthids or any corals,

Have you checked water parameters ?

Have there been physical changes in the tank (lighting, flow, moved stuff, etc) ?

Is there something irritating the coral, fish, hermits, coral aggression, etc ?

Have you added anything new to the tank ?

If none of these are implicated you have to ask yourself is the coral in the optimum location for its flow and lighting needs. Often a coral going downhill for no apparent reason was in the wrong place and is finally unable to deal with the situation.

Good Luck............
Old 12/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Here are the pics and answers to the questions

I checked water parameters on Sunday...
Amm: 0; NO2: 0; NO3: 0; PO: 0; pH: 8.2; Ca: 420; dKh: 7; SG: 1.024; Temp: 79

I did move some coral around recently after a purchase of an open brain. I moved a toadstool leather, but it ended up back in it's original place. The open brain is now in the sand bed below this particular colony of Zoanthids.

The lights, flow and livestock are the same.

They have been in this spot since early October. Here are some pics from October and today.

10/2/07

Today - Zoanthids before turkey baster

Today - Zoanthids after spraying water on them with turkey baster
Old 12/18/2007, 09:58 PM
RC Mod

Look at the lower left hand section of the colony, where you had two polyps you now have seven. Not a sign of a coral in decline imo. They may have changed but that's the nature of the beast.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Look at the lower left hand section of the colony, where you had two polyps you now have seven. Not a sign of a coral in decline imo. They may have changed but that's the nature of the beast.
OK Point Taken. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!
Old 12/19/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

sorry to open up a new discussion on the same thread, but i just got a nice big rock that came with ..lets sayy.... 75 zoanthid polyps , im not sure what kind, but anyway, ive had them for a bout a week, and they havent opened yet. they seem to be dieing. pieces of them are falling off and they seem to be shrinking.
i have a 55 gallon, 260w odyssea pc lights, seaclone protineskimmer, and ehim canister. My water parameters are fine(got them tested at my local shop)
my consern is that i have 1 blue hippo tang, 1 scopas tang, 1 niga trigger(mistake???), 1 yellow tang, 1 dragonette, and 1 damsle. do you think this could be a problem??? thanks for your help.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kau_cinta_ku
you really need to get your own test kits so you can post actual parameters.

anyway you have way to many fish in your tank alot of them will outgrow the tank. and most are messy and poop alot. the skimmer isn't a good one and is prob. not helping much. what are you using for water changes and how often and how much are you doing? how many lbs of LR do you have?
Old 12/20/2007, 12:24 AM
RC Mod

jshaw

[welcome]

Just a friendly tip on board manners (and getting a reply). Don't post questions to someone elses thread , it's called hijacking. Besides if you start your own thread you're more likely to get replies.