Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/09/2006, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy Help with Magnum 350 Canister

Hey folks,

Well I'm stumped... I purchased this filter to run carbon in my tank and for the life of me I can not get it to work. I've noticed the impeller makes a rattling noise, but I cant seem to find anything wrong with it. The canister will not fill with water, or pump back out... Whish I had saved some money and bought a phosban reactor and added carbon instead...

Any idea what's wrong with this thing. Could it be a bad unit? I'm so frustrated!

L3
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
250w 10K Ushio with T5 Actinic
2 Tunze 6025's 1 Tunze 6045
Old 12/09/2006, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Did you prime it?
Old 12/09/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

I'm posting from my cell phone so my responce time may suffer. I'll try to help you through your trouble. I recently replaced a Magnum 350 that I'd used for 15+ years of no trouble with a new Magnum 350. I use mine for water polishing with the micron cartridge. Anywho are you taking suction from the main tank with the Magnum below in the stand or are taking suction from a sump below the main tank? Do you have the carbon in some sort of media bag or is it loose in the canister? Does your impeller have the little rubber cap on the bottom end?
-----got one of my hobbies covered-----
Old 12/09/2006, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nasty Wendy
I'm posting from my cell phone so my responce time may suffer. I'll try to help you through your trouble. I recently replaced a Magnum 350 that I'd used for 15+ years of no trouble with a new Magnum 350. I use mine for water polishing with the micron cartridge. Anywho are you taking suction from the main tank with the Magnum below in the stand or are taking suction from a sump below the main tank? Do you have the carbon in some sort of media bag or is it loose in the canister? Does your impeller have the little rubber cap on the bottom end?
Hi, and tanks for posting! I have the canister below my sump which is in the basement. The actual tank is upstairs... I have the carbon in the holder that came with the 350, and have the inlcuded filter sock around that. I do have the impeller with the rubber cap on the bottom end.

Thanks!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/09/2006, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usmcsgt
Did you prime it?
No, didnt think I needed to. BTW, say your an AV8 mechanic. Very cool... I flew A10's in the USAF about 15 yrs ago and always loved the AV8. Wish I could have gotten some time in on one!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/09/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Is your sump on the floor or on a stand of some sort? There will be a need to prime it if it isn't below its suction level. Even if it is below the suction level you will need to start it completely full of water. Sounds like you have some trash interfering with the impeller. I suggest you empty the canister completely and clean free of any/all debris. Reassemble it and make doubly sure that there is no loose particles capable of getting into the impeller well. If the Magnum is sitting at the same level as the tank it may be necessary to restart the canister a few times before it runs. Make sure the O-ring is properly in place and the black tube/impeller cover is properly seated.
Old 12/09/2006, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Is your sump on the floor or on a stand of some sort? There will be a need to prime it if it isn't below its suction level. Even if it is below the suction level you will need to start it completely full of water. Sounds like you have some trash interfering with the impeller. I suggest you empty the canister completely and clean free of any/all debris. Reassemble it and make doubly sure that there is no loose particles capable of getting into the impeller well. If the Magnum is sitting at the same level as the tank it may be necessary to restart the canister a few times before it runs. Make sure the O-ring is properly in place and the black tube/impeller cover is properly seated.
Hi,

The canister is sitting on a stand below the sump. I'd say about 1.5 feet below the sump. So, should I fill the canister with freshwater or salt and try starting it up to see what happens? I will also break it down and make sure everything is seated...

Thanks!
L3
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/09/2006, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Yes you should fill the canister before attempting to start it. Fill it as full as you can. It also helps to not have the suction hose be longer than necessary. Don't snub it so short that it becomes a PIA but you don't want it to have unecessary slack. I think you will be fine after a good clean-out and restart. Your placement of the Magnum should aid in your getting it to run.
Old 12/10/2006, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try in the morning....
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/10/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Goodluck with it.
Old 12/10/2006, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I got an old used Magnum 350 when I brought my used tank and it had the same problems your having. I learned a lot while trying to get the thing a running.

First off, the canister like Nasty Wendy states has to be sealed properly and full of water prior to starting it. You will usually hear a rattle from the impeller when you first start it up and it usually stops rattling after the water is primed and it gets running good. You can kinda tilt the canister away from the hose that is not pumping in order to allow the air to escape from the canister. The fuller you have the canister the better you will be. I just fill mine up with saltwater from my tank.

Also, if yours is a used pump and is more than a few years old, you may want to replace the magnet that is around the impeller. Any charcoal that escapes your filter can also get down into the impeller housing and cause it to rattle. I use two small bags to hold my charcoal in instead of putting it just loose in the filter. This keeps any small pieces from getting down in the housing and giving you fits.

One more thing. Be sure that your waterline is above your input and output lines that go into your aquarium. If it is not, it will just suck air and it will never prime for you.

Good luck...........
Old 12/10/2006, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

I recently had the same rattling problem with my Magnum. After replacing the three rubber gaskets the problem stopped.
Old 12/10/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Glove
Thumbs up Good old magnum350 canisters!

I have owned mine for more than 15 years and it still has the same magnet. ...it does need replaced.

There are very few problems this thing can give ya. Dont let stuff get in the bottom around the impellar/magnet area. It grinds a nice groove in the magnet and with enough sand sucking during cleaning, they will stop spinning.
(sand gets past about all filter stuffing you can cram in there. )

The sweet media baskets are great, but dont try putting something small like rowaphos in there- back to the groovy magnet issue. Best used for carbon and changed out every so often.

The little grey gaskets can get soggy and miss-shaped or torn. Dont forget to have one on top and bottom of the charcoal basket as well as the output stem. They help the pressure direct the water where it needs to go.
And about the last thing I have had issues with was the big "o" ring for the lid. If it isnt there you will have leaks. Sometimes they fall off right as you put the lid on.

It must be full or partially full of water before it will work. It can be tricky to get the thing filled too. Once you find out gravity works for you, its not so bad . I always suck on the output part to get the syphon started. They dont like to pull from below the canster. The design is based on gravity to feed it and a little bit of head pressure for return.

The quick dis-connect valves are a must have! I cant remember how many messes I made trying to remove and replace my filter for cleaning before I had broke down and bought some.

These things are great vacumes too! Just hook up a longer hose and suck up the unwanted debris before a water or filter change. You can stuff filter floss in the canister with or without the charcoal. It traps the nastys a little better.
Old 12/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Thanks folks, awesome stuff! As soon as the kids are settled, I'm off to the basement to it it a try again. Wish me luck!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/10/2006, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Well how did it go?
Old 12/10/2006, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Well how did it go?
Thanks for checking in! I can get water to pump out of the canister, but still not into it... I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong! It's almost like the "intake" simply wont pump water into the canister. The only water I can pump out is the water I out into it by filling the canister manually.

Help!!!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/10/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

OK. You have a leak. The water flowing/pumped out creates suction on the intake line. The water leaving the canister HAS to be replaced with something. When everything is sealed properly the only thing that can replace the water leaving the canister is water coming in from the suction line. A leak will allow air to come in and prevent suction.

Make sure you have the suction line on the nozzle labeled 'IN'.
Make sure the suction hose is sealed and snug on the 'IN' nozzle.
Put a little Vasoline on the main O-Ring to aid in its sealing.
Old 12/16/2006, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Layer3, the Magnum I just purchased came with quick disconnect fittings. You do not have on of these closed on the Intake side by any chance? The magnum I purchased came with the vacuum kit. I found the small barbed fitting that connects to the vacuum hose, but do not know where or how the other end of the fitting connects.
Old 12/16/2006, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Snook,

I don;t have the quick disconnect fittings on mine. I never was able to get the thing to work. I think it's off to Ebay!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer
Old 12/16/2006, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MC Lighting
you have an air leak on the lid almost guaranteed.... I have one on my freshwater and had one 10 years ago that was 15 years old... If for ANY reason the lid does not seat perfectly and make a perfect seal it will not pump water into the chamber... If you have a powerhead that you can attach the output hose to push watr down its throat and see where the seaping comes from. My Magnum on my freshwater had a clip that was just a smidge loose on clamping preasure and it was enough that it would not pull a prime. I agree with everyone else though once you get these going they are a very dependable long lived unit.

Owner MC Lighting Concepts - LED Lighting Products
Old 12/17/2006, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

MC - Thanks. I've checked and tried everything, but will certainly give the lid a solid once over. I'm pretty sure it will work now, I just ordered a Phosban 150 to run carbon!
LifeReef Sump
WavySea Wavemaker
LifeReef Skimmer