Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/14/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Question heating new mixed water

I am curious how everyone mixes and maintains their saltwater before they actually use it. I am currently using rubbermaid containers to mix the water in and then leaving a powerhead going for a day or two in order to move it around and let it age a bit. My current problem is that this all takes place in the garage and it is getting cold out there. I could just drop a heater in there, but I was just curious about what others are doing that might be different.
Old 12/14/2006, 10:55 PM
Super Duper Member

i have a heater in mine. it doesnt take much for the water to get in the low 60s, you're not that far south of me, so you will have the same problem.
Old 12/14/2006, 10:57 PM
RC Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to cward
I mix mine with an external pump that heats the water up, but I use a heater as well to make sure the new water is the same temp as the tank water.
Old 12/14/2006, 11:05 PM
RC Mod

I just mix mine with a pump for a few hours, and don't bother with heating at all. I don't do large water changes, though. If the temperature was very cold, I might heat it for an hour or so before using, though.

So consider a 20% change. If the water was at 60 F, the tank temperature drop for me would be 2.5 F, given that I keep the tank at 82 F. I don't think that's a large enough drop to be an issue.
Old 12/14/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I do not heat it nor do I mix it for longer than 30 seconds. I am not saying this is recommended but I have not done it differentely for over a year. I also only do 10% WCs. If I were to do more than that I would heat it.
Old 12/14/2006, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

I mix and heat at the same time. My water is usually about 60... so it takes about 2 hours or so to get it up to 80. I figure that is long enough to age it- until it is warm enough!

I do 5 gal a week on a 24 gal nano.

Dave
Old 12/15/2006, 12:16 AM
Mortar Target

I don't heat it as I'm too lazy to do so. Not to mention that at 10% of my water volume, the change in temp is pretty much nil.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:20 AM
Jenifer Aniston -Not wife

I mix a week before use in a large rubber trash can (been using it for 10years. I heat some SW in my microwave and mix with water in can till almost correct temp. Then do water change.
Old 12/15/2006, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

I have a small undergravel filter plate that fits in my mixing bucket. I put a powerhead in one return tube and a small heater in the other. Then dump in the salt and let it do it's thing. I do this 2 days prior to a change.
Old 12/15/2006, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the inputs. I feel a little more confident about the water and temp that I can put into the tanks now.
Old 12/16/2006, 11:05 AM
troublemaker

I mix mine with a heater, given my basement floor this time of year is around 60 [and nighttime set-back on the furnace is 62].

I tend to do larger water changes [10-20%] ... thus prefer to have the temperature within a degree or so, and prefer to have things mixing at proper salinity for roughly 12 hours.

I have found at times when adding salt, a little is left on the bottom to dissolve - as well as a few times I've come back after I thought it was completely mixed/ready - and half a day later the salinity has gone up a point or two.

Perhaps not an issue, but in my striving for the best condiitons for my wet friends IMO a spare heater/powerhead to toss in there [and getting things ready the night before] is an easy way to be positive I won't have issues.
Old 12/16/2006, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

I mix my salt up at least a day ahead of time with a powerhead and heater. It takes about 24 hours for the salt to actually dissolve properly in the water. Sometimes I will mix a few days ahead of time.

Trip