Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 02/07/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Hiya, Video of my 10g.

I know I don't post here much but I figured everyone likes pictures and videos. Took these to show family and thought I'd share with you.

Here's a link to the video on YouTube.
Old 02/07/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank and vid!
Old 02/08/2007, 04:02 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Like your tank, looks way bigger for being a 10 gallon.
Old 02/08/2007, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Very nice
Old 02/08/2007, 01:34 PM
*Pico Freak*

I agree, Very cool video and perfect song choice.

-Chris-
Old 02/09/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments.
Old 02/09/2007, 07:08 PM
------------

That's some big time flow, what pumps are you running?
Old 02/09/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosseau
That's some big time flow, what pumps are you running?
Well there's an MJ1200 @ 295GPH and an AC110/500 @ 500GPH. The MJ has a Hydro flo, so that reduces flow some, and the AC has a surface skimmer attachment on it which reduces flow. I'll guess somewhere around 500-600gph?

I really don't know though the actual flow though.
Old 02/10/2007, 03:34 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to euphoricgear Send a message via Yahoo to euphoricgear
isnt that too much flow? just wondering....
Old 02/10/2007, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by euphoricgear
isnt that too much flow? just wondering....
Personally, I don't think so. This is under the assumption that my numbers are correct, which they may not be. All I know is that everything is doing well. The higher flow keeps algae down for the most part. It also puts anything that settles on the sand bed back the water body which means it can get sucked into the filter floss for removal upon water changes.

Both clowns seem to love it, the cleaner shrimp plays on the Hydro Flo sometimes and seems to enjoy it.

The only down sides are that you really need to be careful about rock placement to divert or block flow. otherwise you'll have sand everywhere and no calmer spots for mushrooms, etc. The top mushroom seems like it could be more happy in a lower flow zone, but is still doing well. I tried moving it off the rock but it won't budge... lol.

The other hard thing is attaching frags into places with high direct flow, you have to man handle the frags a bit more than you might think you'd like to... Lucky for me zoas are more hardy than I'd give them credit for and mushrooms just go on forever. I don't plan on having much more than GSP, Zoas, Xenia and Shrooms.

A somewhat unpleasant thing is the also one of the good things, stuff rarely settles to the sand bed and this means there's always particles floating in the water, I suppose I could try a sponge on the MJ but I don't like how that looks.

If I had it to do over I would use the MJ900, it's what I wanted but they were out of stock and I got the MJ1200 for less than the 900. The only reason I would swap is because the 900 gives off less heat than the 1200 for almost the same gph.

There are other tanks this size with more GPH than mine, so it's not too much... It's only too much if what you want in there is stressed over it or you can't control your substrate. I'd rather have more than less... and I love how it makes stuff move in the tank, just look at the torch...

Though I might have to get rid of the torch, it's sweepers are long and I'd like to put some corals on the "ring" shaped rock without them being stung.

Might replace it with a frogspawn or hammer.

Oh, and if you want to view my tanks thread on this forum I just bumped it up with a small update. Figured I should.

Here's the link.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=991668

Last edited by a1rabbit; 02/10/2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02/10/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

yeah im thinking of putting the same on my 10gal that im setting up. mushrooms, zoa's, xenia and frogspawn or hammer. then maybe 2 clowns. i guess i'll get the same pump for flow since it's been tested.

thanks
Old 02/10/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Like I said, I'd probably do a 900 for heat issues, it's a lot less wattage and it can be finicky to setup the flow with the 1200, might take a couple days. Don't get sugar sized sand either, too fine.

If you do have sand flying around leave it overnight and you'll see in the morning that it may have moved the sand around just right and things are fine... reposition the pump and have it blow sand around and wait overnight another time and everything will be a mess, bare bottom, etc. You never know just how it will turn out. But I had this problem when I had the MJ600 in there, just not to the same degree.
Old 02/10/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

kul guess i'll order that this week when i get paid.

oh yeah question...are your rocks leaned towards the back? is there space for the back to clean it? i was thinking that detrius and other junk will get stuck in there and i wont be able to clean it up.

thanks
Old 02/11/2007, 04:36 PM
Moved On

very nice tank i like it alot!! nice video too