Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/25/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

got a salt tank for christmas and need help

hi i just got a salt water tank yesterday(i was so happy)so i washed the crushed coral as the guy at petco told me to but i noticed that the water would not come clear so after 12 washes i put it in the tank christmas eve and filled it up with water and the water was really merky is that normal so i left it over night but now its a little merky not as bad as last night but i want it to be clear like the rest of the tanks i see around is their any way to make it clear o yes and i have two filters but they dont seem to clear it can some one please tell me if its normal for the water to be merky ?
Old 12/25/2006, 11:01 AM
Dismembered

Crushed Coral isn't the best substrate for a saltwater tank. What are you doing? a Nano reef?
Old 12/25/2006, 11:02 AM
reefer

dont worrie give it time it will clear and do alot of reading before you add anything the main key to this hobby is going slow and learning one thing you will hear alot and is very true is only bad things happen fast the good things take time and alot of patients good luck
Old 12/25/2006, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

[welcome]
Old 12/25/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

saltycreefer im doing a saltwater tank with fishes not ready for a reef yet but the guy at petco said i shouldnt start off with that white sand as a beginner because its harder to maintain and i have to put these bottles of chemicals in it i think there called buffer and some other things so he told my mom i should start off with the crushed coral
and salty 3 also i for got we also put the salt in the tank and the ppt on the hydrometer is 31 and the gravity is 1.023 is that good or do i need more fresh water ?thanks you guyr and merry christmas
Old 12/25/2006, 11:13 AM
Dismembered

1.023 is fine. If you dont plan on any inverts you can lower it a little , between 1.018-1.020 is great for fish only. The only reason I dont like the crushed coral is that it needs to be vaccuumed regularly like a FW tank with gravel. Otherwise it traps a lot of uneaten food/poop! I like using WWI pink samoa sand in fish only tanks because its very fine and doesn't need more than a little stir once in a while to keep it clean. It also has a more natural look.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:19 AM
Dismembered

You will have to add buffer to your tank for the ph eventually so you should pick up a ph test kit and some SW ph buffer in the near future, you want to maintain a ph between 8.0-8.5. Your tank will be ''cycling" over the next 4-6 weeks after adding your first fish, so the ammonia and nitrite should be tested starting in about 3 or 4 weeks on a weekly basis until they level out @ zero. The petco should be able to do this for you. Dont worry about getting test kits for that but after you cycle youll want to test your Nitrates every couple weeks or so, so I would recommend picking up that test as well as the PH.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

First lesson... don't trust anything a local fish store (LFS) tells you. Second... Be prepared to take your time. You don't need chemicals and sand and what not yet. You need to research what you're doing. The hydrometer that they sold you is not the best tool for the job, but 1.023 is a bit low. Get your water up to 1.026 or so by adding salt slowly. If you used tap water, you should really start over with new RO/DI water... and stop using tap. You really have no idea what nasty stuff is legal for us to drink and bathe in.

Next step to your tank is to buy about 70 lbs of live rock for it, and let that establish itself for about a month. This is a fascinating process. Adding fish too early to the tank will keep your rock from developing fully... especially if the fish you get like to pick at the stuff in the rocks.

During this month you should be reading reading reading. You should come here and ask all sorts of questions. You're off to a decent start since you didn't buy 20 fish on day one... but you really need to get to the research before you do anything else.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

In a fish only tank using anything other than crushed coral is ridiculous. A fish tank has to be siphon cleaned and sand just isn`t able to handle that. The cloudyness will go away- what filters are you using? Needless of whatever folks say- more fish have been kept more years with an undergravel filter and crushed coral than all other methods combined. Even with a fluidised bed or wet dry- I would still use crushed coral gravel in a fish only tank. In reef tanks it creates a nitrate trap- in fish tanks sand does the same thing. They are two different set ups and behave completely different in this case.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:23 AM
Dismembered

Most important thing,get advice from as many people as possible and then make decisions on that based on what you think makes the most sense for what you want to accomplish with your aquarium. Good luck and enjoy your tank!
Old 12/25/2006, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

agreed salty cree-funny how the longer we are in this game the less opinionated we become.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:34 AM
reefer

1.023 is good for a fish only tank i would keep it there shagsbeard is right if your using tap start over and alway use ro or ro/di you can this at your walmart or kroger or somthing like that very cheap ive never used crushed coral so i have no response to that i have seen peop;e run a reef for years on it and it was fine but have heard problems with it and dont take anything petco has to say for granted they have no idea what there talking about most of the time
Old 12/25/2006, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

It also helps to use punctuation and not write everything in one sentence.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:47 AM
Dismembered

I think we scared off ADRIAN , and he's on his way back to PETCO to return his tank!
Old 12/25/2006, 11:48 AM
reefer

It might,I will try to do it more from now on.

P.S. How was that.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:59 AM
Dismembered

Supposed to be a question mark following an inquiry. How was that?
Old 12/25/2006, 12:01 PM
reefer

and thats why i dont use puncuation lol
Old 12/25/2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I know more about punctatis than punctuation- I guess thats bad for a fish forum.............
Old 12/25/2006, 12:05 PM
Dismembered

HA ha ha!
Old 12/25/2006, 12:06 PM
Dismembered

Seriously,where did adrian go?
Old 12/25/2006, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

sorry guys i had to go to wallmart to pich up some spare filters, and i needed to get a fish net,and the gravel filter lol u guys didnt scare me off
Old 12/25/2006, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Wrench
I think your next step should be to do some research and lots of it.
Old 12/25/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

hey wrench i started todo research before i went to wallmart aka (my freinds house) he had some extra stuff for his fresh water tank he also wants to do salt to but he is going to see how mine comes out first ,I just put my heater in and set it to 76 degrees i also picked up a thermometer that sticks on the side how do those work ?
Old 12/25/2006, 12:48 PM
Dismembered

Glass tank I assume, the thermometer should be pretty accurate.
Old 12/25/2006, 12:50 PM
Dismembered

Out of curiosity what filter do you have?The most important thing in saltwater is having a good biological filter.