Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/31/2006, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Decided to give it a shot without brace...

Well I talked to the previous owner of the 65G (missing the cross brace) Ive been asking everyone about and he insists that the tank is fine without it. He actually has another of the exact same tank, unbraced and it is fine, so I am going to give it a shot with out the brace as it is becoming a big pain to fix.

Anyways, Im just wondering about bowing. I know if the bowing is pretty bad you can see it but what else should I be looking for? Are there any other things I should watch out for besides obvious bowing?
Old 12/31/2006, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

water on the floor?

Honestly, the cross brace is there for a reason. The glass thickness for the tank was derived with a safety margin in mind. The missing center brace allows the glass to flex, putting it under further stress and reducing the safety margin between a dry floor and catastrophic failure.

Using the aquarium without the cross brace may not result in catastrophic failure under normal operating parameters, however you need to be aware that the safety factor is reduced. An adverse event that would otherwise be harmless may result in a wet floor.
Old 12/31/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Ok...Well the easiest way for me to add the cross brace was acrylic ontop of the plastic rim. But I have been unable to get any answers on whether this would work and what I would use to bond acrylic to plastic. Do you have any thoughts on this????
Old 12/31/2006, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Oh and I cannot find IPS products like weld on here, so thats out...
Old 12/31/2006, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

You mentioned that the plastic rim had ben trimmed back to the glass... so nylon screws are not an option.

You can make a "clamp" from a piece of glass that is 1" longer than the tank is front to back. Cut the trim away, down to the glass and as wide as your new brace. On each end of the new brace, glue a small piece of glass as a stop. Place the assembly over the tank and silicone it in place. Of course you can do this without the extra glass and cut your new brace to the outside dimensions of the tank. Simply silicone it down on top of the existing glass walls.

Why did a tell you to do it on the TOP and not the INSIDE? Because you can be assured of a good fit and good contact if you rest it on top. If you try to cut it to fit INSIDE then you need to be more accurate and attachment will be more of a PITA.

Bean
Old 12/31/2006, 01:10 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Send a message via AIM to xtrstangx
Quote:
Originally posted by justinpsmith
Oh and I cannot find IPS products like weld on here, so thats out...
Try ordering from tapplastics.com or any of the other plastics websites?

How much plastic do you have left on the brace? Some people have taken an acrylic strip and just gotten plastic thumbscrews and tapped a hole in the plastic brace.
Old 12/31/2006, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

I have seen others use SS wire and DIY saddles with a turnbuckle. Another guy here used 100lb test fishing line (not what I would consider a great idea, but it worked for him).

You can build your hood with stiff walls and a brace between the lights. The hood should be designed to hold the tank walls captive. It should be obvious that the hood should be designed to NOT be removed for any tasks.

You COULD order new trim from the manufacturer and replace the old trim. You could even cut the new trim and leave enough to attach an acrylic brace with nylon screws and suitable epoxy.

Etc...
Old 12/31/2006, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help guys! As I said before I am not the best DIY guy, so Im looking for the easiest possible solution...I am going to look into the ones you guys just recommended though, as I would feel much better about things if there were some kind of brace. Would a pic of the tank help you guys out with the best SIMPLE solution???
Old 12/31/2006, 01:29 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lets see a pic and see where we can go from there.

A very restrictive canopy like Bean said is a great idea.
Old 12/31/2006, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

So as you can see on the right, the brace has been cut right to the trim. I wanted to use nylon screws but there is no room I dont think. Could they be put just ontop of the trim somehow? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I really have no experience with this kind of stuff!

Old 12/31/2006, 01:38 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

The nylon screws aren't going to work here.

You have a few options:
1) the restrictive canopy that will hold the tank square.
2) remove the old brace, order a new one from the manuf. and replace it
3) get some glass cut and eurobrace it yourself (probably the hardest)
Old 12/31/2006, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

So would this work at all:

Having an acrylic brace that is in the shape of a "U" which goes ontop of the trim and then back down the front and back of the trim. Also bonded to the trim of course...I hope that made some sense!
Old 12/31/2006, 01:52 AM
Premium Member

Yest that would work fairly well. Similar to what I suggested using glass. You will want to glue up the acrylic with weldon instead of trying to bend it. It will be stronger and more accurate if you glue it.

Bean
Old 12/31/2006, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I planned on gluing it. I just need to find the weld on. Having a hard time...No one will ship it to Canada! I think there is some law about shipping certain chemicals from the US to Canada for some reason??? Anyways I will keep looking, but if anyone knows of any other product that would also work, I would really, really appreciate it!!! I am trying so hard to find something at a place like Home Depot, so I can get this tank ready for next week! I am suppose to get rid of my other tank and need to transfer everything over soon!

Thanks again to all who have helped...You guys are great!!!
Old 12/31/2006, 02:04 AM
Premium Member

A good plastic epoxy will work. Make sure you use sandpaper ot rough up the areas that will be glued. As for the weld-on for hte brace... maybe somebody here in the states can glue you one up woth some 3/8" or 1/2" scrap.
Old 12/31/2006, 02:05 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Look in the phone book under plastics and be ready to make a few calls.

The acrylic U sounds fine.
Old 12/31/2006, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Well again guys, thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate it! And thank you for your patients with a guy who is the worlds worst DIY!!!
Old 12/31/2006, 02:20 AM
Premium Member

Everybody has to start someplace... just take your time and think about what your doing... things will start to make sense.
Old 12/31/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Well this newer idea really does make a lot of sense and seems easy enough for me to do!
Old 12/31/2006, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Actually, one more question. I saw 1/2 in. acrylic sheets at Home Depot the other day. Is acrylic easy to cut yourself? How is this usually done. I would imagine it is much easier than glass but...
Old 12/31/2006, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

Table saw, Router, etc.

Thinner stuff can be scored and snapped... but I do not suggest trying... use the right tool for the job

With some luck somebody here will be willing to make you a brace cheaper than you can buy the materials.

Bean
Old 12/31/2006, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

Well I really dont want to inconvenience someone to make me a brace and send it up here! I am willing to do it myself, I just need to be able to cut the acrylic myself if Home Depot will not cut it for me (I hope they will)...Otherwise I am quite confident with this project now!
Old 12/31/2006, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Half inch acrylic from Home Deopt? I've never seen anything thicker then 1/4 inch at every Home Depot I've been too. Just to let you know, acrylic does not bond too well with silicon glue. It might bond better if you sand the area you plan on gluig. I would just replace the brace, but that would take a lot of time and effort.
Old 12/31/2006, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Goodwood
Peace of Mind; Consider a new tank most likely less than $200
Old 12/31/2006, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Reeferon
i would take all of the plastic bracing off and buy some 2-3 inch glass pieces and brace it it with that. Just get the pieces the exact legnth of the sides of the tank, and then glue them in with silicone. a lfs aroundme has all home made tanks and they use that kind of bracing with no problem.