Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/16/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

canister filters

I'm currently using two canister filters to: (A) circulate the water and (B) act as a pre-filter, as I have both packed with floss.

I have a 125 ga tank with 130 lbs of live rock and am running a protein skimmer. I do not currently have a sump or fuge. Just wondering what everyones opinion was of this setup. Any potential problems?

water parameters have been stable, my only concern in that area is nitrates that are at 10 ppm
Old 01/16/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Well the canister filters can become nitrate bombs that will detonate at the most inopertune times if you dont stay on top of cleaning them and keeping the filters fresh. I have used them in SW with great success only because i cleaned it atleast once every 2 weeks. Its ok to use IMO if you keep it clean. I would highly recommend that you plan for a future upgrade to a sump if you cant maintain a good cleaning regime. Hope this helps!

I Golf, I Party, I Work, in that order!
Old 01/16/2007, 05:43 PM
Pragmatic Majic

Agree with the above. Just out of curiosity, why use them with floss when you have a skimmer? Best IMO to let the skimmer remove those organics from the system before they have a chance to break down in the cannisters.

That said, you can run them empty if you choose just for the additional flow, or use them periodically for carbon, phos removing media or poly, media designed to remove compounds a skimmer can't. They are definately handy.

Old 01/16/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefshadow
Agree with the above. Just out of curiosity, why use them with floss when you have a skimmer? Best IMO to let the skimmer remove those organics from the system before they have a chance to break down in the cannisters.

That said, you can run them empty if you choose just for the additional flow, or use them periodically for carbon, phos removing media or poly, media designed to remove compounds a skimmer can't. They are definately handy.

Thought the floss was a good idea to pick up any debris in the water
Old 01/16/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to rivank
Quote:
Originally posted by reefshadow

Here,here! I use one on my 46 bow for flow and to run through my UV sterilizer. I occasionaly use it to run carbon if I have a need to other wise I keep it completely empty of filtration media to avoid a ticking time bomb!

Here's to those before us, those of us, and those after us............
Old 01/17/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I have two. An Eheim Wet/Dry cannister and an old Fluval 303. I was planning on removing the bio media from the Eheim and using it as a carbon filter instead.

I have a 20 gallon high QT that I'm thinking of using the Fluval cannister on. Being that Nitrates are not as big a problem for fish. I plan to load some of the bio media from the Eheim into two of the cannisters in a Fluval and try and run the fluval as a bio filter. Anyone ever try this?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm interested in hearing more about using a cannister filter as a bio filter. I know that the Eheim was meant to be just that but I think it will get better use in my sump as a carbon filter. It has tons of room and it can be adapted just for that purpose. Oh yeah, it's a lot easier to clean than the Fluval.

Ordy
Old 01/17/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

I run two canisters and I like them. My numbers are good and my trates hover at baout 7, but then I do also clean them every two weeks. Although the Rena is by far the easiest canister I've ever used for cleaning purposes. Much easier then the Magnum I got. I throw carbon and Purigen in my Rena to help (in what way it can).

I know everyone likes to use sumps and refs, but my stand did not allow for that type of setup, so I made do with what I could. Personally, I like it. It adds flow, and the Magnum keeps the water looking crystal clear, while the Rena runs the carbon and Purigen.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp