Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/23/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Question Puffs of smoke..HELP!

I had just done a water change on my tank and I saw what looked like puffs of smoke in the tank. Thats the best I can descride it. This translucent substance floating in the water like puffs of smoke in the air. There was like four or five. At one point it looked like it was coming out of my live rock. I took a vid with my cell phone and I will try to get it up here but does anyone have ANY idea what this was.

Right now I have live rock and the following fish: 1 foxface, 2 clowns, 2 firefish, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab and about a dozen nassirus snails
Old 01/23/2007, 06:33 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Not to worry Clint and that is probably coming from the LR. I think what you are seeing is defecation from tube worms in the LR. It is a pretty common event. In some cases it may also be sperm released by a horny critter living in the rock's pore structure.

Tom
Old 01/23/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Update

Here is an update because the video won't download.

A piece of this stuff is clinging of one rock and my emerald crab just climbed out of the rock where I thought this stuff was coming from. This tank has been set up for two months now and I honestly haven't seen and tube worms or any other live rock life yet. There was quite alot too. like 5 or six "puffs" each about an inch long
Old 01/23/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

it was possibly your peppermint shrimp! this happened to me a week ago, a puff of 'smoke' was released right in the area where my pep's hide out - and the NEXT day i saw hundreds of baby shrimp floating around in the tank getting sucked to filter getting eaten, etc... crazy!
Old 01/23/2007, 07:20 PM
Moved On

I'm not sure, but like Tom said, it sounds like someone's live rock critters are spawning. Different things can trigger spawning in different animals (a water change can be one of those things). Whatever the trigger, in general, it's probably a good sign.
Old 01/24/2007, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to euphoricgear Send a message via Yahoo to euphoricgear
yeah i get those a lot and cant seem to find the perpetrator. i also get this thing like my live rock is pooping. just weird! lol
Old 01/24/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

I'd say prolly snails. My snails all get together and spawn puffs of smoke all the time lol.
My urchins would do it to.

Now this one I never did figure out what it was. It gushed for about 10 minutes and turned the whole tank white. I had that rock for prolly 20 yrs and it only happened once that I saw.

On closer inspection it was'nt from the paly's but something in the rock.
It was like a clear tube that shot all over. In the bottom pict. you can see an amphipod that got stuck in it lol.

kass
Old 01/24/2007, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

I've heard that Stomatella Snails also do this. They are the kind of snail that has a tiny shell and look like a shell-less slug.

UPDATE: Kass beat me to it, and with AWESOME PICS TOO!!!!
Old 01/24/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take it as a good sign. Maybe this particular rock is Nemo's redlight district