Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 10/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

HELP!!! Leaking tank!!!

I discovered that my tank was leaking last night. I have a 75 gallon oceanic tank. I noticed water creeping up from the casing around the bottom! So i drained half of the tank and put my live rock, snails, crab, and 2 clowns into the 29 gallon that i was setting up to use as a sump. I used all of the water from the 75.......

I tried to drain most of the water last night, but was only able to drain 1/2......

Can this be fixed with some silicone? Anyone know how long the oceanic warranty is?

Also, on another note, i know the bottom is tempered glass....the sticker says so....does anyone know about oceanic 75 gallon sides? While i have it drained, i may decide to go ahead and drill it.....although i am still nervous.
Old 10/12/2007, 01:07 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

i wouldnt touch it and if you have the reciept or not still i would contact oceanic and see what they can do for you, hope this helps...
Old 10/12/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Call Oceanic. They have a lifetime warranty for any workmanship issues. Can you tell if the leak is coming from a breakdown in the silicon used to join the glass?
Old 10/12/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

i don't know where the leak is coming from yet...i am still trying to empty the tank in order to discover that....i hope to know more this weekend....last night i simply tried to get all of the livestock out of the tank and get as much water out as possible.....it is not dripping yet...water is just getting out....i am just worried it will get worse....i have emailed oceanic and am waiting on a response...is the silicone holding the tank together covered?
Old 10/12/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Look at this way you kind of have another fresh start on the tank again If there was something that you wanted to do different or do over or even upgrade. I know a leak really sux, sorry to hear anyone have to deal with one but a least Its learning experience.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone every had to contact Oceanic regarding a warranty/leaking tank issue? How does the process work and what information do i need to have handy?

I want to have all of my ducks in a row so i can get this resolved quickly as i don't think my fish like moving from a mansion to a small condo.....i know i wouldn't
Old 10/15/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

how old is the tank are you the original owner and most of all is it on an oceanic stand if not lie and say yes thats where they could get ya
Old 10/15/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I am the original owner. It actually is on an Oceanic stand......i got them both about 5 years ago maybe....i am not positive about that time period. I don't think i have my purchase receipt (would have to dig, but i probably threw it out), but i do know the store that i got it....i bought the tank and stand as a combo deal.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

After a little more research i was able to find the serial number of the tank and stand combo....it is a 75 "E" series.

It appears that the tank was manufactured in June 2002....which means that i probably have had it just over 5 years at the most.

Any one have any experience with this type of thing?

How is Oceanic's customer service? Will they do anything for me?
Old 10/16/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

It's worth a call. If you purchased the tank through a local retailer, you could try contacting them as well if you have troubles with the Oceanic people -- they may be able to better get in touch with people who can get the ball rolling.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

I think they have a 5 year warranty if it's sitting on one of their stands. I would contact the nearest authorized dealer and also try get Oceanic on the phone. I would also thoroughly inspect the tank and see if you can determine where the leak is coming from. Sometimes leak locations can be deceiving. Just make sure it's not coming from one of your return line or a powerhead out of adjustment before you go to all the trouble.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Bummer worst case seneario. I had a leaking refugium and was able to stop the leak but to a few days and scraping and reapplying silicone. I will never trust this tank , thank gos its a fuge. If they dont warranty then fixing sounds scary. Sounds like a great excuse for a new tank and mb bigger . Glass half full . GL
Old 10/16/2007, 03:44 AM
Registered Member

hello buddy, question, is there water on the floor or around tank?? or all you see is white salt creep around base of tank???. im asking because once i tought my tank had a leak but it was a powerhead that was blowing a very little amount of water on to the glass and it dryed at the bottom off tank creating a lot of salt creep, making me think that the tank was coming apart, make sure that its not that, even when you do water changes some of the water that spills creates salt creep, just a tought before you go thru a lot off work tearing tank apart

sana
Old 10/16/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I am pretty sure it is leaking. It was just starting to drip when i drained most of the water. I have most of the water drained, but still have to remove the substraight to try to determine where it is.....

On another note, are you sure that the warranty is 5 years?

I did find some information and the tanks they are selling now say a lifetime warranty. Any idea when they would have changed or is my "E" series a cheap enough tank that they don't have the same warranty?

I will probably call them this afternoon/evening to see what can be done. Wish me luck!!
Old 10/16/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

www.oceanicsystems.com

No, i'm not sure at all what their warranty is. It seems like i remember reading it was 5 years but i could be wrong. I'm planning to pick up a bowfront from them in the next few months. I trying to decide if i have enough room for the 175 or if i should just go with the 90. I will be curious to see how they treat you regarding this issue though. Good Luck.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

thanks. They are only open until 4 pm central time and were closed when i called. I will hopefully be able to call tomorrow....i will certainly let you guys know the results. I really enjoy good customer service and companies that stick behind their products. I get really upset when companies don't care about the customer. Customer Service was the main reason i just cancelled my Charter cable service and am getting a dish.

So if oceanic is reading these boards by chance, you should treat me well.........I am really upset about the whole situation, but i am glad that 75 gallons of water didn't make it to the floor and electronics....that would have been terrible.....plus to this point my livestock seem to be ok.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

thanks. They are only open until 4 pm central time and were closed when i called. I will hopefully be able to call tomorrow....i will certainly let you guys know the results. I really enjoy good customer service and companies that stick behind their products. I get really upset when companies don't care about the customer. Customer Service was the main reason i just cancelled my Charter cable service and am getting a dish.

So if oceanic is reading these boards by chance, you should treat me well.........I am really upset about the whole situation, but i am glad that 75 gallons of water didn't make it to the floor and electronics....that would have been terrible.....plus to this point my livestock seem to be ok.
Old 10/16/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the double post...mistake.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE!!!

Well i know it has been a little while since i posted regarding my leaking tank. However, i have not had a chance to deal with it.....i had a test for work which i had to study for and i was recently on vacation to London and Paris.....

I had called the oceanic systems people and talked to someone in the warranty department....actually i think the parent company is central aquatics or something like that...anyways he told me that the warranty is indeed 5 years, but that i would have to find my receipt in order for him to be able to do anything....I looked and looked, but have been unable to find anything... A day or 2 ago i searched online and found a bunch of random email addresses for which i sent an email which explained the situation.....the parent company and an email address i found on the better business beureu (am was simply trying to find a contact as opposed to some random info email addresses....eventually i found got a reply from someone that i emailed stating that he had asked the warranty supervisor to contact me....well he did and i have to send him pictures and whatever info i can find.......i think he is going to try to help me......wish me luck!!! I will update you on the progress and hopefully the resolution....