Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/03/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Put my first fish in!

Yesterday I put my first fish in, I got a cleaner wrasse and a yellow tang. My tang was really shy but now is cruising around. Also my cleaner wrasse dissapeared for hours, I looked everwhere but could not find him. I went to bed and came down this morning and WAMO! There he was????
Do wrasses have some magical trick to go invisable or is there a portal to another tank in my tank??
Advice is much appreciated! Cheers!

A fsh!
Old 12/03/2006, 11:16 AM
Team RC Member

Some wrasses actually cocoon in mucus and hide in rock. Others just hide. DOn't know the habits of cleaner wrasses, but the whole type is prone to lie very low during dark hours.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/03/2006, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

all ( or most at least ) fish will hide when first introduced to a tank. as they get more comfortable and feel safe they start coming out more.
Old 12/03/2006, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentman
I have fish in my system that may dissappear for a day or two. I think this is one of the coolest aspects of a reef tank. The more you look, the more you see and each day its slightly different.
Old 12/03/2006, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

The cleaner wrasse is one of them that will surround itself with a mucus film at night, if i remember properly, but yes.. they are very good at hiding.

You probably wont see that one hiding too much though, they are a pretty friendly fish once it realizes that its home.

Beerguy - on snake handling

Jeremy
Old 12/03/2006, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Please consider quarentine. I didn't and it's my biggest regret. My tank is ick infested and I haven't been able to catch the fish in it. I'm pretty much stuck, but will try to get them out and into a proper hospital tank. Once I get them out, I'll have to let the tank sit fallow for about two months. All could have been avoided by simply running my additions though QT.

Lots of people here don't quarentine. But those that do know why they do it.... it's well worth it.
Old 12/03/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

once u put fish in tank if they have ich how long before it shows up?
Old 12/03/2006, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Ich, is this when a fish flicks his gills? These are my 1st two fish so they could not have passed it onto any other fish. Thanks for the advice though, will do that for my next one.

A fsh!
Old 12/03/2006, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

the problem is if these fish have it, your tank now has it and every fish to come will get it. keep an eye on them and look for any problems. i'm not trying to freak you out and you probably don't have it.
Old 12/03/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Like what? What signs?

A fsh!
Old 12/03/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure about the cleaner wrasse, but my melanurus wrasse delights me every night with this: my MH lights turn off at 11:30 pm and i'm left with actinics for another 30 min. When the MH's turn off you can see other life jump out. my peppermint shrimp start there scavaging, the hermits and snails become more active. my cleaner shrimp starts grazing all over the place. and for the most enjoyment i watch my melanurus wrasse. he starts slowly pacing in front of my tank for a few min, concentrating his passovers at the front left side. once and a while he'll give a circle or 2 over this spot. after about 5 or 10 min he'll lower his head and burrow right into my DSB! my wife and children love it everytime we happen to be around the tank right at lights out. if you have your lighting setup like this see what happens. i hope your cleaner wrasse can please you like my melanurus does!
Old 12/03/2006, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rijinals
Like what? What signs?
here's a link to a thread in the Fish Disease Treatment forum they'll tell you everything you need to know.
Old 12/03/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

OK, swatted up on that, its all good, the fish are not prone to ich. The LFS is one of the biggest in the UK and do not sell you fish without 2 water samples from your tank. From there on they show you there stock and tell you everything from where they got the fish from to how it came to be in there selling tank. You pay extra for the fish, but its worth it knowing the compete history of the fish!
Do UV sterilizers help reduce the likelyhood of fish catching ich?

A fsh!
Old 12/08/2006, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to chelskisw6
yes they do.

man u are ****e! the title will stay in london
Old 12/08/2006, 10:36 AM
Girl Geek

Quote:
OK, swatted up on that, its all good, the fish are not prone to ich. The LFS is one of the biggest in the UK and do not sell you fish without 2 water samples from your tank. From there on they show you there stock and tell you everything from where they got the fish from to how it came to be in there selling tank. You pay extra for the fish, but its worth it knowing the compete history of the fish!
UV reduces it, but doesn't completely eliminate it. QT is typically preferred as a preventative measure.

Is the cleaner wrasse eating prepared food? These fish don't have the best survival record.. Also, make sure it doesn't harass your tang too much. If it only has a few fish to clean, sometimes they can stress the few fish you have out.
Old 12/08/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Yes he does eat prepared food, they are both fine!

Screw you chelskisw6. Chelsea's day is over! The only thing you will win this year is the elbow and diving competition! Courtesey of Drogba!
Up the reds!

A fsh!
Old 12/08/2006, 03:39 PM
Girl Geek

Good to hear!
Old 12/08/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Cleaner wrasse rarely live over 6 months in an aquarium even if they are eating prepared foods. In the wild they live off of mucus and parasites from other fish and it's hard to replicate that in an aquarium unless it's huge.
You should try to read about a fish before you buy it to save you some heartache and money in the future.
I'm not trying to sound harsh just trying to help you in the future.

kass
Old 12/08/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I did read up on him though, will keep you posted on him!

A fsh!
Old 12/09/2006, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

I had a fish only tank years ago and one of my fish was a christmas wrasse. He would swim at high speed into the CC gravel and completely disappear! First time I saw it I thought he disintigrated on impact
Old 12/09/2006, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
They told you that your Yellow Tang was not prone to ich?
-----got one of my hobbies covered-----
Old 12/09/2006, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

tangs are highly prone to ich and hlle as well kepp a very close eye on this guy.