Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/24/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jscarlata
LOL, i'm right there with you on this one...my other hobby is very expensive too, Gas powered RC boats are not cheap, and the faster you want to go the more $$$ you have to spend, and the less hands on you are, again, the more $$ you need to spend.
My other hobby is R/C Airplanes. I have several and non of them are less then a grand fully equipt. With planes all it takes is a strong cust of wind or an unintentional slip of the hand to bring a $1000 aircraft crashing to the ground. In my 20+ years of flying them I really cant count how many I trashed and really dont want to.

This hobby isnt that bad. Even if you have a crash your equipment is still ok
Old 01/24/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

It's true Trains and Airplanes are expensive hobbies, but they don't require constant attention. You can always let them set in the basement for a few months and they will be fine when you have the time to play with them again. You can leave your dog or horse alone for a week if necessary. A bag of food. A bale of hay and water, they will survive just fine.
I actually quit this hobby 30 years ago because of the destructive collect techniques used. In the 3rd world it's no better today and with the increased number of marine hobbyists may areas are in danger.
When will I learn??
Everyday when I open the door returning from work it's the big question--what will I find? Beautiful aquariums or tanks of fish chowder.
Old 01/24/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

My boyfriend has a water skiing hobby. The price of a reef tank doesn't even come close to the price tag on his Ski Nautique boat. The insurance payments alone could easily maintain a large tank.
Old 01/24/2007, 02:04 PM
Slightly Obsessed

I think a smart thing to do is to have a plan for your tank. Envision what you want it to be like, and plan for that. Once you reach that, try to be happy with it. Because yeah...there's an unlimited amount you can spend on everything. Just when you think it's all figured out, you NEED that calcium reactor or Bubble King Skimmer or....whatever.
Old 01/24/2007, 02:16 PM
Secret Member

Shsssshhhhh!!!!!

Seriously, I can hardly find a hobby that is cheap. My four major hobby in descending order of actual spending

1. Photography
2. Reef tank
3. Musical instruments
4. Gadgets and computers

Each one of those is capable of draining my bank account, can you imagine with four?
Old 01/24/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

My insurance payments on my boat and motorcycle don't even come close to the amount my 500 SPS system requires to run. But then it's on a higher end... Wait, I never figured in the cost of the boat or motorcycle... Now I'm really depressed, Thanks alot....
Old 01/24/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

hobbies just cost money...no way around it. Now that my tank is setup, i really dont spend all that much money keeping it up, I go about a month before getting new fish (tank is setup, not stocked), or couse salt, electic, water. etc

My faince's father races somesort of racecar on dirt tracks, I would hate to even think what that costs, between equipment, gas, god forbid an accident wrecking the car.

by no means is this a cheap or inexpenise hobby that people outside of the hobby dont understand, but thats just how it goes, thats just how all hobbies are. But if you have it spend, it anyway you want is how i think.
Old 01/24/2007, 03:52 PM
Robotic Overlord

I estimate that I spend about $200 - $400 on average each month on my fish. I am lucky as I dont have to pay for electricity as I keep them in my classroom, however, I pay for everything else.

This hobby is a constant money drain, I am in constant need of something. Some test kit, or salt, or water, filters, supplements etc... It adds up pretty quick.

My other hobbies are high power rocketry and robotics. Neither of which is cheap.
Old 01/24/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JmLee
Im tired of spending money..
LOL, aren't we all. I actually spent a good maybe 4 months without buying anything other than salt and some food and you would be amazed at how big my savings account got during that time...but now I got the fever again and its back down to where it usually is :*( I just need to go back to watching tv and playing video games...so much cheaper.

Last edited by Kennyboy1984; 01/24/2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01/24/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Haha...
I'm not sure what is worse. Reefin or Mountain bikes. A good mtnbike is about $3,000 - $4,000 and it really only will last you 3-4 years before all the parts are toast, your fork is blown, and your frame is either dented or a new "Deltec" bike comes out that you just HAVE to have.

Plus, there are so many different types of bikes. Downhill, Freeride, Trail, XC, Dirtjump, 29'rs.

That is like having a $3k SPS tank, a $4k LPS, a $2k Softie tank, and a $3k FOWLR.

And maintnance is the same. Instead of water, food, and bulbs, you need to get new chains, gears, tires, tubes, rims...

And what is a bigger ripoff? a $400 ATI skimmer, or a $400 Chris King rear hub (yes, not even the whole rear wheel, just the center part)

Why can't I just ride dirtbikes and watch baseball or something?
It would be SO much cheaper!!!
Old 01/24/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Short of doing crosswords, all hobbies can get expensive. Keeping and boarding a horse is expensive. When my dog ate a wireless mouse, then half the cover off a palm pilot and needed surgery to get the electronics out for $3K, made him an expensive "hobby".

The fact is, spending money on hobbies we enjoy, while not blowing through the kid's college fund or missing mortgage/rent payments, is healthier than working 18 hours a day and being afraid to spend a penny on a needed vacation.

One thing I do like on my credit card summary is that Marine Depot shows up as gas/fuel expenses. If only I could remember where I moored that boat....................
Old 01/24/2007, 04:50 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
This is an incredibly expensive hobby, I can't think of very many hobbies that require such a constant outpouring of money. The worst part is that there is absolutely no limit to the spending and the second you think your tank is perfect, you want to upgrade
I guess I am in the minority here. I don't find this hobby that expensive at all. It is expensive if you get out of it in a couple of years but I have been at for a while so my $200.00 tank that I bought about 30 years ago cost me about $6.50 a year, all of my powerheads which are all 10 or 12 years old are about $2.00 a year. My ten year old bubble coral which was $50.00 comes out to $5.00 a year. On the other hand my boat costs me $4,000.00 a year just to sit there weather I use it or not. Add another $2,000.00 for gas and insurance.

Most of my fish live ten years plus. Even if I buy a clown trigger for $200.00 and it lives for ten years thats only $20.00 a year.
I am an avid SCUBA diver and the equipment cost me about $2,000.00 but I have it over 30 years. It's cheap.
Also for some reason many people here buy very expensive equipment that is rarely needed. This stuff all has a purpose and of course it can be argued that it is necessary but if it seems like a lot of cash and you are having trouble taking your wife out to dinner, don't buy it. It's a hobby and by definition not really important. It is true that you can spend as much as you want but it will not make you a more knowlegable aquarist, only a poorer one. My other passion is traveling, I am sure that I spent more on one week in Tahiti than I did in the last 50 years that I have been in this hobby.
My tank is by far not the best looking here, but I choose to have it look like that. I could throw thousands at it but it would still look the same. If I could keep fish for 18 years and corals over ten with almost no technology then anyone could.

Have a great day and for God sakes, take your wife to dinner and forget that mating pair of mandarins.
Paul

Old 01/24/2007, 05:05 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Always love seeing your tank Paul! I guess I kinda (almost kinda) take the same approach as you. The only equipment in my tank is skimmer, and pumps. I do have halides and an all natural fuge. Once my tank was setup I don't really spend that much on it. I think I spend around $60/month on my electrical bill for the tank. But other than that, there's really no extra high-tech digital equipment to break or wear out. I just kinda let it be and scrape the glass and clean the skimmer cup from time to time. Some of my livestock is approaching the 7yr+ mark although it's not in my original 55gal tank I still consider that a success!
Old 01/24/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
I guess I am in the minority here. I don't find this hobby that expensive at all. It is expensive if you get out of it in a couple of years but I have been at for a while so my $200.00 tank that I bought about 30 years ago cost me about $6.50 a year, all of my powerheads which are all 10 or 12 years old are about $2.00 a year. My ten year old bubble coral which was $50.00 comes out to $5.00 a year. On the other hand my boat costs me $4,000.00 a year just to sit there weather I use it or not. Add another $2,000.00 for gas and insurance.

Most of my fish live ten years plus. Even if I buy a clown trigger for $200.00 and it lives for ten years thats only $20.00 a year.
I am an avid SCUBA diver and the equipment cost me about $2,000.00 but I have it over 30 years. It's cheap.
Also for some reason many people here buy very expensive equipment that is rarely needed. This stuff all has a purpose and of course it can be argued that it is necessary but if it seems like a lot of cash and you are having trouble taking your wife out to dinner, don't buy it. It's a hobby and by definition not really important. It is true that you can spend as much as you want but it will not make you a more knowlegable aquarist, only a poorer one. My other passion is traveling, I am sure that I spent more on one week in Tahiti than I did in the last 50 years that I have been in this hobby.
My tank is by far not the best looking here, but I choose to have it look like that. I could throw thousands at it but it would still look the same. If I could keep fish for 18 years and corals over ten with almost no technology then anyone could.

Have a great day and for God sakes, take your wife to dinner and forget that mating pair of mandarins.
Paul

Sounds like a very wise man to me!! Atleast as far as hobbies go I always enjoy his posts.
Old 01/24/2007, 05:37 PM
30 year and over club

Thank you SaltyNovice. I'm surprised no one mentioned that the dorsal streamer is missing on my moorish Idol. I could get it to grow back but that would mean more food which would mean a bigger tank with all the associated bigger "stuff" that goes with it.
Some of my corals are not great looking either. They could easily look better but then I would have to cut back feeding the moorish Idol or go with that bigger tank thing. Many people will say, I want the Idol to look perfect and I want the corals to be perfect. But you know what? Everything in life is a trade off. I want a bigger boat and I want three weeks in Bora Bora instead on one.
I want a thousand gallon tank with Christy Brinkly diving in it, But I have a fairly nice tank with a fairly nice boat and I take pretty nice vacations and live fairly well but I married my best friend a long time ago so I guess I am very happy. Even though my moorish Idol has no fin.
Have a great day.
Paul
Old 01/24/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

you want an expensive hobby? Try car racing, on any given saturday night i was spending 400 just on tires and fuel. that does not include the cost of transportation of the car to the track,any damage done in an accident, motor rebuilds at 10k every 12 weeks, fuel alone is 8 bucks a gallon. Reefin is a cheap hobby once you have all the equipment you need. I think alot of us spend are money upgrading our equipment because we think that will cure all our problems, when what we should have done was buy the proper equipment in the first place. how many of us have gone out and bought skimmer after skimmer because thats what we think we need to take our tank to the next level?
Old 01/24/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Remember, when they put you in your final resting place six feet under, no matter how much money you may have (or not), it won't make you any more richer than the person next to you.

Enjoy your hobby and life (it's too short), but spend within your means.