Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/17/2007, 11:43 PM
Robotic Overlord

Hawkfish and reef compatibility

My lawn mower blenny I have had for two years recently jumped to his demise. I was going to pick up a new fish to replace him this upcoming weekend. I was considering getting another LMB but I might go for a flame or longnose hawkfish.

My system is a 40 gallon reef with 1 oc. clown and 3 azure damsels. I have no shrimp in the tank at all. I have lots and lots of micro-fauna in the sand bed and lots of small snails.

What are others long term experiences with hawkfish in a reef tank. Are they reef safe?
Old 01/18/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

I recently had a hawkfish. He never touched any of my corals but constantly went after my other fish.

I would be cautious.
Old 01/18/2007, 02:23 AM
Musical Member

Perfectly reef safe as far as corals are concerned. I've had one in my reef for 5 yrs, she's never harmed a coral. Shrimp on the other hand have been toast. When new fish or inverts (snails, ceriths...etc) were added she's a bit too nosey at first, but settles down after a few hrs. They're not called hawkfish for nothing, she keeps a sharp eye on everything.

In regards to other fish: She's been good with all fish even the ones added after her. With the exception of, my male bartlett, he tries to hassle her occasionally, she holds her ground and the major stare down is on, if, the anthias keeps on, there is a minor scuffle but nothing serious. It last about 1/2 second.

You read so many post about how folks loves their hawks but then there is the occasional bad apple, like jaw969's hawk that is just set on being mean.

IME, they are very interesting/entertaining fish and I wouldn't ever have a tank without one.
Old 01/18/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

my hawkfish is awesome and it hasnt touched any coral, or my clowns
Old 01/18/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

So it is really impossible to have shrimp with them?

Even if he is the last one in?

Love those as well and was thinking of having one.
Old 01/18/2007, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

He ate my shrimp, and they were as big as him.

Sean
Old 01/18/2007, 10:04 AM
King of the Tank!

Wow. I have had mine for about 7 months and he has never eaten any of the shrimp. I have a peppermint (skunk) shrimp and a blood red shrimp. They are large so maybe that is why he doesn’t mess with them. We love ours!

Jay
Old 01/18/2007, 10:32 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Send a message via AIM to Krazy
I have a beauty for a flame hawk, I have a mated pair of CBS shrimps along with 11 yes 11 peppermint shrimp...

The hawk WILL dive bomb at my pep's but they are to fast for the hawk (for now anyways)

Old 01/18/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fermat
In my research, it appears that half of the hawks eat shrimp and the other half do not. I have a flame hawk, and he is just too cool! He quickly becomes any visitors favorite fish. I would like to add a cleaner shrimp in a month or two, and others have suggested that if I do, not to get my hopes up, to get the largest shrimp I can find, and add her manually to a crevice in the rock so she doesn't just float on down like the frozen shrimp feed does.

My hawk has dived at a crab or two, and I've found a dead crab in my tank the last couple of months, but I cannot confirm that it is the hawks doing. I've heard also that they can go after snails, but I've never seen him take any interest in mine.

As far as fish... He's never paid any attention to them. I've had him with a clown, damsel, chromis, pseudochromis, and dwarf angel. He's an aggressive eater and darts at the food, and this can scatter the other fish if they were contemplating getting the same food the hawk has targeted. Fun!
Old 01/18/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

I have a flame hawkfish and a longnose hawkfish. They have never bothered any corals.

The longnose hasn't bothered any fish, shrimp, nothing. . .
My flame hawkfish tormented my clown for a few days, and then got use to him. I've had both of them in my 90 for over 2 1/2 years now. They are both a pleasure to watch.
Old 01/20/2007, 04:06 PM
Robotic Overlord

Thanks to everyone who responded. Based upon the responses here and some research I got a Freckled Hawkfish. My plan was a Flame Hawk but my girlfriend fell madly in love with the freckled hawkfish the instant she saw it in the store.

I also didnt want her to see me pay $60.00 for a fish
Old 01/22/2007, 10:27 AM
Robotic Overlord

Pictures

Here are pictures of the "Freckled Hawkfish" I got. He is in my QT tank right now. I am not sure he is a freckled hawkfish though as he does not look like other pictures.

Old 01/28/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fermat
Very cool hawkfish! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01/28/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

ggreat hawk! Remember they are jumpers though! don`t want a repeat of the lawnmower becoming a carpet muncher- so to speak of course.
Old 01/28/2007, 07:59 PM
Robotic Overlord

He has been in QT now for 8 days and doing great, eats like a pig. The students really like him and are debating names. The current frony runners are "speckle" and "steve".

I dont like either name
Old 01/28/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

I'm going on two weeks with my long nose hawk. My CB shrimp is fine! Great fish to watch "perch"
Foxface
Blue Damsel
2 True Percs
Flame Hawk
6 Line Wrasse
Coral Banded Shrimp
6 Assorted Snails