Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 12/19/2006, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Transferring Soft Coral !!!!!!!!

I have a 255 gallon marine water aquarium with artificial decoration. I would like to replace the decoration with soft corals which I can get from the red sea while diving there. After my dives, I have a 12 hour drive back to my house. How can I transfer the corals from the sea to my aquarium in my car?

1- How can I pull it out from the sea? Do I cut it or just pull it off the rock?

2- Do I put it in a bag and how?

3 - How much time can I keep it in the bag?

4 - How can I put it in the aquarium?

5 - Do I wash it or put it first in another aquarium?

6 - What are the characteristics of the water that I should put it in?

Ahmad
Old 12/19/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Dear All,

This is an exciting idea that Ahmad is asking about. Why not get our own soft corals from the sea? I too would like to know more about this. I hope you can reply soon with any tip that could help us.

Regards,
Mcclarity
Old 12/19/2006, 07:44 PM
Bee Wrangler

Send a message via AIM to xcreonx
I think more information about your tank is required beofre some recommendations can be given. Do you have adequate lighting? Water flow? Calcium supplementation? Temp and Salinity? Any fish or inverts that munch on coral?

One major thing to be aware of is transporting the coral in water from the ocean. The water will foul very quickly with all of the plankton die-off. The best case would be bringing some artificial seawater with you in buckets and acclimating the coral. That water fouls quickly, and with a 12hr ride home, you'll have some dead animals to deal with I've done this many times with artificial saltwater when I lived in Florida, and that was only a 3hr drives to the Keys.
Old 12/19/2006, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

How about utilizing one of those battery operated air pumps to keep the water aerated. If the oxygen is kept up and the temp is kept stable I see no reason why the plankton won't survive. Just make sure to bring plenty of water with each individual animal.
Old 12/20/2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Hi. I have a question to add. How can we setup an environment for corals and how to place them in the aquarium? Thanks.
Old 12/21/2006, 10:22 PM
*Pico Freak*

Quote:
Originally posted by mcclarity
Hi. I have a question to add. How can we setup an environment for corals and how to place them in the aquarium? Thanks.
What?