Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/17/2006, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Timer switch to shut off pump during feeding?

I have my pump on a light switch so I can turn it on and off with the flip of a switch. But I would like to be able to have it on a dial switch like a bathroom fan is on. But those switches only turn the fan on for x number of minutes till the timer is done . I need one to do the opposite , have it turn the pump off once the timer dial is turned , then turn the pump back on once the minutes are timed down. Is there a switch like this?
Thanks
Old 12/17/2006, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to rodgod20
search the DIY forums....I have seen numerous forums where people have taken apart a normal countdown timer to do the opposite
Old 12/17/2006, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to rodgod20
how about this one...
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=feed+timer
Old 12/17/2006, 04:32 PM
never an expert

This is one I did.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=939039

John

I never want to be an expert, I just want to know all the stuff they know. Then I can decide for myself if it is valid information.
Old 12/17/2006, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

No need to take anything apart.

You can purchase the bathroom timers with double pole contacts. OR you can use a relay with a timer that is Normally Open and convert the output to Normally Closed.

Bean
Old 12/17/2006, 04:58 PM
never an expert

Bean,

Mine was with all off the shelf components.

John

I never want to be an expert, I just want to know all the stuff they know. Then I can decide for myself if it is valid information.
Old 12/17/2006, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Ahh.. I did not look at the thread you linked to. Much better than hacking the mechanics of a single pole time NO timer
Old 12/17/2006, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanks that helps so much. Will find that brand timer
Old 12/17/2006, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Remember HD and Lowes can special order about anything. Finding somebody smart enough to look it up and place the order may be tough... (no offense to the those who are SMART and hard working at those places... but sadly, that is only a select few!) That linked thread has a model number for a suitable intermatic unit. You can also find them online.

Bean
Old 12/28/2006, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

I have an intermatic switch that can be used for reverse applications.
I have no idea how to wire. I cannot believe I need an electrician for this. Can someone explaine this to me. I want it to go on the wire that runs from the outlet to the fuse box. How do I connect these wires?
here is the diagram they provide for reverse switch
Old 12/29/2006, 01:17 AM
never an expert

I have mine wired to line2 and load2, and it works great. Do you have an ohm meter or some other way to test continuity?

Old 12/29/2006, 06:33 AM
Premium Member

I can test fir continuity.
I think I have that part of the switch figured out now. Then next thing I need ti figure out is how to do the wiring in the wall. The wall is open , just insulated, so getting to the existing wirieng is no problem. I need to install the switch about 4' above the outlet box that the pump is plugged into ( the wiring to the outlet runs straight down the wall to the outlet, so 4' above the outlet , the wire is right there).
The house wiring is the ussual back white and ground wire in a single cable. So I guess I need to run this switch on the black wire , but all the wires are encased. So do I just remove the black wire from the outlet box then tie a new piece of wire to it and run it to the line2 , then add a wire from load 2 back to the outlet?
Can these individual wires be left in the wall or do they need to have some kinda conduit?
Or is it possible to cut part way into the cable that holds all three wires and just expose the black wire at the 4' above outlet area, right where I will be putting the switch box. Then just tie some short pieces of wire to the exposed black wires to give more working room in the box. This seems the better way, but was not sure about cuting into the cable to just expose the black wire.
Old 12/29/2006, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I built mine yesterday based on inspiration from this and the threads linked to above. I spliced into a short heavy gage appliance extension cord and used a relatively shallow gang box with the intermatic spdt switch, wired into the line/load2.

The orange plug is the pump.

It's screwed into the crossbrace near the ceiling just inside the doorway.

The wiring layout is work in progress, but I am using a "DJ" power strip so that I cam turn off individual outlets. Poorman's "power center".

Old 12/30/2006, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

If you splurge you can use AquaController's Feed function as well as control lots of other things (lights, temp, etc). I love the features that mine has.
Old 12/30/2006, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone, I got this hooked up and it is working great.