View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 08:01 PM   #522
Moved On
NanoGurl's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,306
Originally posted by melev
Yes, they are sold as SpeedFit fittings. Another name is John Guest fittings.

The nice thing about them is that you just cut the tubing and press it into the ends, tug slightly and you're done. The blue retaining clips pictured above make sure the tubing stays in place. Home Depot also sells 1/4" icemaker tubing in the same section.

Remove the retaining clip if you have it, then make sure the tubing is cut nice and cleanly (a kitchen knife will do it, or a utility knife), then press it into the collet firmly until it can't go in any further. Tug slightly to seat it. Done.

If you have to remove the tubing, press the collet with your fingernail so that it is tight against the fitting, and the tubing can be pulled out again. The collet is the thing that grips and releases.
Okay thanks! That really helps. I never set up the RO/DI unit when we got it so I don't know a lot about it. I have to goto HD tomorrow anyway I will look and see what they got.

NanoGurl is offline