View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

The Frankenkalkreactor lives: an update...

Background: After killing two kalk stirrers, I decided to go more basic.

I dumped half a cannister of kalk into my 32g Rubbermaid Brute trashcan ro/di reservoir.

I cut a disc of eggcrate lighting grid to hold my topoff pump about halfway up the Brute trashcan, as a permeable floor.

I used a locline typical 2-ended connector jammed into a half-inch hose for the maxijet, with a hose clamp holding it in place, and connected 1/4" locline tubing sufficient to reach my sump. IE, I reduced the half inch outflow hose to a 1/4" so as to have more drip and less gush into my sump.

I set the Maxijet 1200 topoff pump on the grid disc, jammed on the half inch hose, plugged it into my topoff switch, [autotopoff.com dual float switch rig] jammed the lid down over the tubing and the power cord to limit air access, and let 'er run.

Two weeks on:
My calc is around 450, my alk is around 9.3, my ph is 8.3, my mg is about 1375 [where I set it], and my corals are ecstatic at having no interruptions in calcium flow. This has freed me of fussing with that aspect of my tank so I can now do my scheduled water changes weekly, and life is good. My lps are starting to divide again, aggressively, and the lps extension is huge. The one surviving sps [montipora] is putting up growth points, about 5-8 of them.

Frankenreactor isn't pretty, but it is working. I do get a little 'skin' on it, but it hasn't seemed to hurt anything, and there have been no glitches.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/09/2008 at 04:01 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote