View Single Post
Old 05/01/2021, 09:15 AM   #9
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
If you can fit a bigger tank where you plan to put it, get the bigger tank.
Great advice for fishtanks and TVs!

Going bigger expands your fish and aquascape opportunities. The added water also makes it easier to keep your parameters stable. I'll concede that the stability difference between a 50 and an 80g tank is minimal, but it's something. That benefit is most applicable to discussing a nano vs a larger tank.

The downside is the cost of equipment and rock. 32" is a bit awkward to light, and you'll probably need more powerheads as well. It's too wide for a single LED light, and too short for a 36" T5 rig to look just right. I'd go with a pair of XR15 G5s (or similar light), or a 36" T5 fixture...hopefully with LED supplementation.
That sucks up front, but you'll forget about the pain after a few months, haha.

My reef tank is a great example of this issue. I had a 120, but didn't want to put it on the second floor of a house I was renting. I bought a 2' cube to hold me over. I moved back to OK and now have a concrete foundation...so I'm thinking it's 120g time again.
But no...there's no good place to put a 120g, so I'm still running my 2' cube. It's a great looking tank, but it'll never be what the bigger tank was.

Also, stick to the 2' depth. It's great for aquascaping, especially when you have to work around an overflow. 18" is frustratingly shallow. I also like 2' for height, but 18-20" is also fine if you have to.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is online now   Reply With Quote