View Single Post
Old 05/20/2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Happens in saltwater too. And some tanks perform well with one type, nothing to do with the care of the owner. I keep both salt and fresh (Amazonian) and a pond, and all I can say is success gets you enthusiastic and makes it not seem like work and failure is a downer. I can also say don't expect to breed saltwater. The cramped quarters (versus the ocean) and the tendency of saltwater fish to get really cranky when breeding plus a tendency of most species not to like competition for space and food makes it a good idea to really know your species and your tank before you get into that aspect of it. Or as I generally put it, Fish don't want friends. They want to rule the tank and they don't want a rival. The other point is---most are sold very young and very small compared to their potential. Blennies and gobies stay pretty well the same, around 3", but little cute blue Dory (hippo tang) can get a foot long fast, with a killer tail spike. Etc. Pick species you really like, exchange info with people who keep them successfully, figure compatibility, and buy a tank that fits them. Or if you have a tank, start asking what will succeed IN it and what extra equipment you need---sump, skimmer, and autotopoff with reservoir and lighting are your big new issues.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote