View Single Post
Old 05/20/2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

For your 58, I'd recommend a FOWLR or simple softie reef, with the following: an ESHOPPS (foam not bubbles type) skimmer, a 30 gallon sump, an LED light, a good pump, a topoff reservoir of at least 10 gallons, a ro/di filter (4 cylinder) and a live crew of mostly blennies and gobies, maybe a dwarf angel like a Coral Beauty, limestone rock, aragonite sand, and some hardy softie corals which replicate easily and will have your simple tank looking like a rose parade float with just reasonable care and no worries about calcium dosing: just keeping your tank skimmed and your salinity bang-on (topoff) with testing once weekly for alkalinity should have you in good form. Of course there are many good brands out there. I just recommend Eshopps because thats what I have and I know it's good and not too expensive. I do recommend having some soft coral in there because corals are quick to warn you if your conditions are going south, yet the softies will do it with minimal fuss and they don't take too fancy lighting. If they arent puffed out and happy, test your water that day. If there's no good reason, they're just in a snit with each other and running carbon will sop up their spit and make them behave again. Fish aren;t real good about complaining.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote