View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 07:13 AM   #55
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I have been following this thread with much interest. I have a couple of questions.

First, do you think my under-sink filtration system (GE Smartwater) can produce decent enough quality water to mix salt for my FOWLR tanks (with some hardy soft corals and LPS)? Here is a link to the system I have at home:
http://www.geappliances.com/smartwat...fs.htm?GXSL55F

Currently, I use this water for top-off. I dechlorinate (we have chloramines) and buffer to 8.3. Right now, I am using pre-mixed saltwater from the LFS for water changes.

Second, how is the SpectraPure Maxcap DI to install? I am interested in knowing what is the easiest RO/DI system to install and use (for those of us with negligible plumbing skills). If the water from my under-sink system is not sufficient for my aquariums, I'd like to put in an RO/DI system, but don't really know where to start.

Also, there was a question about removing chloramines. Since they are present in my water, what is the best way to deal with them if you have an RO/DI system? I did read Randy's article on chlorine and chloramines - basic take home was that a decent RO/DI should be adequate, but that chemistry of chloramines is complex and test kits have limitations. Wondering if thinking has changed on that or not?

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment

Last edited by LisaD; 01/03/2008 at 07:31 AM.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote