View Single Post
Old 10/19/2008, 07:12 AM   #277
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRebel
WaterKeeper
In one of your Newbie articles you mentioned glueing acrylic dowels to the bottom of live rock to keep if off the bottom of the tank and expose as much of the rock as possible to the water column. Would it be okay to have egg crate sitting on say 2" diameter dowels just below the sand line? Also by elevating the rock don't you run the risk of fish excavating under the rock?
Thanks
PS BTW the Triad is not an electrical device or a Chinese gang -- it's the three cities area of NC comprising Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point (aka the "Furniture Capital of the World" )
I would be interested in the answer to this one also. I would be more concerned about pockets of phosphates and nitrates forming then acutually providing more surface area for aerobic bacteria by letting the under surface of the rock "breathe"
IMO the rock in contact with the substrate or buried in it provides a home for anerobic and anoxic bacteria--there is plenty of external exposed space for aerobic bacteria.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote