Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/23/2007, 04:28 PM   #1
brians4671
Registered Member

anaerobic bacteria?

i have a 29 gallon 30x16x12. 30 lbs of live rock 2" live sand. 2 biowheel filters series 200 & 350 rated for upto 125 gallons. coral life hang on protein skimmer rated for upto 100 gallons. coral life compact fluorescents 2 65 watt 50/50...........i have 3 small damzels a small star and crab wuth 4 turbo snails.water tests excellent and i want to try some soft coral any advice?

i do regular water changes and keep the system clean...

brians4671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2007, 06:27 PM   #2
demonsp
Moved On

Remove the nitrate collecting bio wheels , these a flat plate in the bottom that stop the spray bars from spraying.
Zooanthiads , mushrooms , kenya trees , star poylps , will all do fine.

demonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2007, 06:44 PM   #3
McCrary
Can't Stop Time

The reason to remove the biowheels on your filters would be too keep nitrates from building in the tank which may be harmful to coral. Fish are far less sensitive to nitrates then coral and even low concentrations of nitrates can be detrimental to the health of coral. I would recommend starting with some mushrooms. They often survive long periods of no light and high concentrations of ammonia. They are extremely hardy and should do well in your aquarium. If you have trouble keeping them then post back and we should be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McCrary
The reason to remove the biowheels on your filters would be too keep nitrates from building in the tank which may be harmful to coral. Fish are far less sensitive to nitrates then coral and even low concentrations of nitrates can be detrimental to the health of coral. I would recommend starting with some mushrooms. They often survive long periods of no light and high concentrations of ammonia. They are extremely hardy and should do well in your aquarium. If you have trouble keeping them then post back and we should be able to help you diagnose the problem.
I agree plus I would also run only carbon in those filters--it will help with water clarity and colouring.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote