Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/07/2008, 12:13 PM   #1
IU2468
Registered Member

Help on Fish Ideas

I currently have a 58g that is mostly SPS Dominent, though I have a few polyps and Ricordeas. I am waiting for a spotted mandiran to come into the LFS to p/u and then I was going to get a algea eating blenny. I want to add a few more fish, I don't know if I should try to get a small school of fish or if I should just do what I always do and go pick the fish I like as long as it is reef safe.
There have already been a couple ideas that have been given to me such as a school of citron gobies, clown gobies or panda gobies.
Another person told me to do a school of chromises, and finally someone told me to do a school of pygmy angels. Just wondering if any of you have had any experiences with the fish above or if you have any other ideas.

I will be posting pics of the tank tonight I have had it for 3 years and the past summer it crashed after a nasty storm we got. So i have finally got it cleaned up and back to where I want it. I have slowly started putting corals in and they are all doing great now I just need to add some fish.
Any Ideas would be great
Thanks Rich

IU2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:19 PM   #2
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

I wouldn't do citron gobies. Those are a coldwater species.

A clown goby will hop along the branches of the SPS, kinda funny to watch. You'll take your chances with any sort of angel picking at the SPS.

You can't go wrong with two clownfish, one or two firefish. There are a lot of great "reef" safe out there. A six-line wrasse would be a great addition as well as any sort of blenny.

sh0tyme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Jeff
Registered Member

I am not so sure you will like clown gobies in a tank with sps. I have had 2 bad experiences with them irritating acros until the acro dies. A school of anything in a 58 sounds like a hard time, not much swimming room. Gobys, blennies, a clown, a wrasse, etc would work. I had a 58 gallon Oceanic for years. Great tank.

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 12:40 PM   #4
IU2468
Registered Member

I agree on the schooling of the fish in a 58G but I thought maybe you could get away with it if the fish are small. I have had good luck with wrasses and blennies in the past so maybe i will go with those again. Otherwise maybe I will try to find a pair of clowns or wrasses. which will be close enough to a school.
Thanks for the info

IU2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Stingray702
Registered Member

How about doing a group of African Flame Back Angels or a Pair of Flame Angels both have done well for me. Both species are extremely easy to find and extremely hardy.

Stingray702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Stingray702
Registered Member

How about doing a group of African Flame Back Angels or a Pair of Flame Angels both have done well for me. Both species are extremely easy to find and extremely hardy.

Stingray702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 06:34 AM   #7
dohc97
Registered Member

a pair of cherub angels would look amazing and they are quite active. I had a pair that i lost to velvet. I might try one again soon though as my qt is over.

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2008, 07:28 AM   #8
steri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stingray702
Be VERY careful treading down this line. Almost all angels will not get along with a second of their own in a tank....to the point where they will fight each other to death. If you want to try 2 angels, they need to be of different body types (shapes), and they must be added at the same time, and even that does not guarentee success.

It you really wanted to try and keep 2 dwarf angels, I would recommend something like a flame angel and a lemonpeel angel as the lemonpeel has a more elongated body shape; which is different enough, to maybe not tick off the flame.

Angels can be quite territorial if they are kept in surroundings with other fish of the same body type.

I can't stress this enough though, IF you try this, you really have to add both angels at the same time. Wwhatever the case, I would NOT recommend that you add 2 angels of the exact same species or body sizes (i.e 2 flames, or a flame and a coral beauty, or a coral beauty and a potters, ect).

I'm not saying it can't be done (in fact I know it has been done in the past), I'm just saying be careful. It's just my .02 based on my experience with angels.

Current Tank Info: 220 with T5HO lighting. ETSS skimmer.
steri is offline   Reply With Quote