Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 04/07/2008, 08:08 PM   #926
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by printedpaper
It is a used skimmer and it was not cleaned when I bought it. I also tried several differant depths of water. Nothing I've tried seems to help.
Please post some pictures so we can help you further.

Old 04/07/2008, 10:23 PM   #927
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
You can glue on some small rubber feet, available at Home Depot. You could make silicone feet by squeezing some out on wax paper and allow them to cure for a day or two. You might even be able to use that new rubber cookware they swear you can bake in, which also comes in pot-holder shapes. I would probably soak that in vinegar and water overnight to get rid of any oils from manufacturing.
Great Idea Marc.

I like the silicone on the wax paper idea so much that I have some curing right now.

I have been using this little "unknown material" plasticy sink guard. Some things have seemed "off". So i am making little silicone feet that I will super glue in place...

PBITAWA
Old 04/08/2008, 08:12 AM   #928
fernandokng
Registered Member

Does anyone know how to calm the turbulence in the RS135? It's not skimming at all.

I've had this for 3 weeks, and the water inside the skimmer moves from side to side and pops all the fine bubbles. The bubbles are very inconsistent.

I've tried to adjust the position of the skimmer, with no avail. I only remember the skimming actually working a few times. If i made a change to the position of the skimmer in the sump, it would stop right away. Now I can't figure out how to get it to work again. I thought it was plug and play! Since it worked fine before, I do not think it's the break has to do with the issue.

These are the following things I've done:

1. I checked the venturi and the air tube, and both are clear.
2. Move the drain line away from the pump intake as to limit the air bubbles created from the splashing of the drain line. There are some microbubbles, but not much at all.
3. Skimmer is sitting at 7 inches.
4. I use Auto Top Off and it's going to the return sump section.
5. The output tube is above the water line (it's angle a little bit upwards, so it's not directly perpendicular to the waterline).

I'm getting extremely frustrated. Any suggestions? thanks.

Old 04/08/2008, 09:26 AM   #929
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

The output tube might have something to do with it...

IMO the tube should not be angled slightly up like you said you have it. This would cause increased back pressure on the pump and would most likely affect its performance.. I would have it angled down slightly, as opposed to slightly up.

Some pictures might help too.

Also, make sure that the air valve that goes on the airline is either completely removed or totally open.

PBITAWA
Old 04/09/2008, 04:51 AM   #930
fernandokng
Registered Member

The airline is totally opened.

Here's a quick video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twGiISVr63U

Notice how the bubbles are big and popping. This is my current set up and I do not see anything wrong with it. The skimmer hasn't produced anything for days.

I actually shut off the return pump, so the skimmer was just sitting in the compartment, and the bubbles did not stabilize that way either.

The output pipe is tilted slightly upwards so it's above the waterline, but even if it's perpendicular to the water line, it doesn't fix the problem.

I also opened the pump, but didn't see anything.

What do you guys think?

Old 04/09/2008, 09:30 AM   #931
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

WHere are you talking about the big bubbles?? Coming out of the exhaust tube??? Or within the neck.

To be honest it looks like that skimmer is working perfectly... Maybe your bioload isn't enough to produce solid skimmate? Just a thought...

PBITAWA
Old 04/09/2008, 09:50 AM   #932
fernandokng
Registered Member

The bubbles coming out of the neck.

The bioload is definitely sufficient, as it was skimming before, and then I adjusted the position throwing it out of wack.

The biggest issue are the bubbles coming out of the neck - it doesn't rise up consistently (as it did before) and the movements are sporadic, and horizontally, vertically and from all the different angles, popping all the bubles.

Old 04/09/2008, 10:19 AM   #933
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

What exactly did you adjust?

PBITAWA
Old 04/09/2008, 12:19 PM   #934
fernandokng
Registered Member

1. I adjusted the the position of the skimmer - facing the pump to the drain, facing it away, etc.

2. I tilted the outflow so it was above/ below water level.

3. Checked the pump, airline, venturi.

4. Ran the pump with/without the air valve.

i think i tried everything, and can't figure out out. I emailed EuroReef, and apparently he's out on Vacation till Monday.

Old 04/09/2008, 12:41 PM   #935
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fernandokng
The airline is totally opened.

Here's a quick video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twGiISVr63U

Notice how the bubbles are big and popping. This is my current set up and I do not see anything wrong with it. The skimmer hasn't produced anything for days.

I actually shut off the return pump, so the skimmer was just sitting in the compartment, and the bubbles did not stabilize that way either.

The output pipe is tilted slightly upwards so it's above the waterline, but even if it's perpendicular to the water line, it doesn't fix the problem.

I also opened the pump, but didn't see anything.

What do you guys think?
Something has changed in your water quality, because the skimmer bubbles are enormous instead of super fine. Did you start feeding a new brand of food? Are you dosing anything differently? Are you treating with a new product? Or did you film this right after feeding your tank?

The venturi - is that a DIY mod? Or have I just not seen the newer look perhaps? I've never seen one with a white connection going into the pump. What is the thing at the top of the tubing? Is that removeable?

Old 04/09/2008, 12:56 PM   #936
fernandokng
Registered Member

I haven't fed anything differently, or input any chemicals. I've been using carbon and phosban for over a month.

The venturi is what came along with the EuroReef.

The thing at the top of the tubing is the air valve, which is slightly different than the older models. It functions the same way though. I've tried running with and without it, and same results.

My concern is the same, as the skimmer bubbles are enormous rather than superfine. The times that it "worked" (for a day or 2), the bubbles were nice and small. Now, they are huge and very unstable.

Old 04/09/2008, 01:13 PM   #937
melev
Moved On

Something in the environment has changed the water quality, from what I'm seeing. How often do you change your carbon, and how do you 'run' it? It looks almost like you fed PE Mysis, or used a dechlorinator in the tank.]

Have you checked the impellar?

Old 04/09/2008, 01:43 PM   #938
fernandokng
Registered Member

I just changed my carbon 2 days ago.

I run my carbon and phosban in 2 phosban reactors, with a separate pump each for different types of flow.

Haven't use a dechlorinator, or fed Mysis. I fed the fishes some flake a few days ago, but I don't think it would have affected the skimming that drastically, and for this long. Could I be wrong?

I also checked the impellar, and it was clear.

Old 04/10/2008, 01:27 AM   #939
melev
Moved On

No ozone, no UV, nothing sprayed in the air near the tank recently? Did any painting in your home?

Old 04/10/2008, 04:45 AM   #940
fernandokng
Registered Member

Nope, nothing like that. Are there any tests I can perform on the water?

Can the pump be to blame? Or is that out of the question.

Old 04/10/2008, 10:15 AM   #941
melev
Moved On

I think your next option is to talk to Jeff at Euroreef. If the impellar and shaft are fine, as that is where the cavitation occurs, I'm out of suggestions.

Old 04/10/2008, 11:24 AM   #942
ctripi
Registered Member

Fernandokng...it might be helpful for you to give us a sense of your bioload (fish, corals, feedings) and system volume as it may influence the amount of organic matter available to the skimmer.
Another good piece of information would be to let us know what the flow rate through your skimmer compartment is. If the flow is too fast or slow it again might influence the amount of organic matter available to the skimmer.
My RS135 has bubbles within the neck that appear that way but the skimmer is usually always producing.

Old 04/10/2008, 02:32 PM   #943
fernandokng
Registered Member

The lack of bioload was my concern at first.

The tank has been been up for a month, and I have a tang, and a clown, with 70lbs of live rock, with feedings once a day.

However - There's 4 reasons why I don't think the bioload is the issue.

1. The skimmer was skimming before I put the fish in. The skimmate wasn't dark, but there was stuff.

2. After I put the fish in, the skimmer was performing until I made a change to the position of the skimmer (facing away from the drain)

3. My nitrates have been going up.

4. Probably most obvious reason for me - The large bubbles created around the neck is the skimmer is "pretty thick" and is not "clear". I'm not sure how to explain it, but if lets say the bubbles were small, it would collect enough into the cup.

But then again, you guys have much more experience over me, and I could be way off. :-)

Old 04/10/2008, 02:41 PM   #944
tbone28
Registered Member

What size tank are you running your skimmer on? Your bioload is quite small. It may have been skimming initially because there were proteins to remove, and not skimming now because they've been extracted.

Old 04/10/2008, 02:51 PM   #945
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

It must be your bioload. A rs135, with only a clown and a tang... Thats essentially nothing...

I have my rs80 on my 30 with 4 fish, trates 0, and it barely collects anything... (and its tuned in)...

I would say you need a heavier bioload.

Also, what is your sg again?

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 03:31 PM   #946
fernandokng
Registered Member

The tank size is 58Display + 20Sump = 78 total Volume.

My nitrates have been going up, and that's what really annoying me about this whole thing. If there's nothing to skim, then atleast it should be stable or going down.

Sorry, what does SG stand for? If it's salinity, then I believe I'm at the higher end, at 1.023.

Old 04/10/2008, 03:33 PM   #947
turbonut
Moved On

Re: Re: Re: Part of the Club

Quote:
Originally posted by russ49merc
Hey i just confirmed it with jeff from euro-reef this is the newest release and i'm the first one to get it. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow
hey so whats up with the pics of the new skimmer?

Old 04/10/2008, 03:53 PM   #948
ooja3k
The Reef Producer

1.023 is actually on the low end.

that may have something to do with it..

but 2 fish with 78 gallons of water volume, that is essentially 0 bioload. and that skimmer is rated for +/- 135 gallons with a medium bioload.

you have a light bioload, with a little more than half of the recommended water... you should have my skimmer (rs80) lol..

PBITAWA
Old 04/10/2008, 04:16 PM   #949
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Re: Re: Re: Re: Part of the Club

Quote:
Originally posted by turbonut
hey so whats up with the pics of the new skimmer?
For anyone interested ......

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Old 04/10/2008, 04:16 PM   #950
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Specs are as follows:

8" diameter
22" Tall
EHEIM 1262 Pump
960 lpm Air
40 watts
All US Made Cell Cast Acrylic
US Made PVC Sheet
All joints Hot air welded
Air Silencer & Airflow Meter included
Suitable for aquariums up to 200 gallons with an average load.
Estimated Street Price $998

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Closed Thread