Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/28/2006, 06:45 PM   #1
dwculp
Registered Member

What is hiding in your tank?

It never ceases to amaze me that after over two years of running, my little 40 gallon reef still holds surprises and I still see things I have never seen!

I have had a clicking noise since the day I put my first live rock in the tank. I know it is NOT a mantis as I have had to deal with them before. I have never seen the "clicker" but I have been positive it is a pistol shrimp, though I have never seen it.

I rarely get to see my tank at night as I keep it in my classroom. A few days ago I adjusted my timer so the lights go off at 4:00pm. Tonight, about 5:30 I was just relaxing, enjoying viewing my tank and seeing the "night crew" start to come out. All of a sudden, from one rock comes a long reddish brown antenna! I adjust myself to get a better view and the antenna just hover behind the rock then slowly dissappear back down into the rock work!!

I am sure it is my mystery pistol shrimp, two years and all I have seen are a pair of antenna!!

Exciting stuff.......LOL

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Lydo
Registered Member

I know exactly how you feel. My tank has only been up for about 2 months now and I keep discovering stuff. Even if just my serpent start fish giong for a nightly stroll a bristle worm coming out it's an awsome sight.

3 in sandbed
Berlin turbo XL Skimmer
4 48" daylight T5s
2 48" T5 actinics
Lydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 07:09 PM   #3
cilyjr
Registered Member

like the pod i found today!

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Fiddler
Registered Member

Location: western hemisphere, northern hemisphere, east coast, just south of mason-dixon
8 months after i have my 30 gallon going i take a look from the side as far back as i can, and there were about 6 heads of beautiful blue and yellow zoos, and now a tiny start polyp colony has just come into veiw, what luck!

Current Tank Info: 75 in construction.... construction at a stand still...
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 07:20 PM   #5
serpentman
part time superhero

Similar to your situation, there is something in my tank that "pops" every now and then. I suppose if I move my LR I'll find a pile of snails shells.

46g LPS/Softy Cube
300g FOWLR under construction - decommissioned
serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 07:33 PM   #6
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serpentman
Similar to your situation, there is something in my tank that "pops" every now and then. I suppose if I move my LR I'll find a pile of snails shells.
You never know, mantis shrimp tend to be pretty bold and out in the open, at least the ones I have delt with. Their clicking tends to be loud and repeated as they hammer open shells.

The clicking from my tank is just a single or double click every now and then.

Old 11/28/2006, 08:39 PM   #7
drummereef
Team RC Member

Watching what comes out of the rocks at night is so cool it's almost scary. Some of those creatures are downright weird.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 10:47 PM   #8
2fishy
Registered Member

Tonight, I found a hermit crab coming off of the rock without a shell and threw some shells down to his side so he could climb in. They are very strange looking without a shell. But that didn't bother me half as much as some of the BIG, BIG bristle worms I have seen the last few nights. Late Friday, when the lights came on in the morning, my tail spot blenny looked like he had met up with a porcupine on one side of his body. I assume that it was a bristles from a bristle worm that stuck it while it was in his hidey hole in the front of my one rock. There was even one bristle stuck in his top fin. By Monday when the lights came on, all of the bristled were gone.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal
2fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2006, 11:39 PM   #9
BlueCoast
Registered Member

That is half the fun, my friends all laugh because they came over to look at my 4 month old "fish" tank that still didn't have a fish.... but still offered something new almost daily. This week i mounted a nepthea frag and the piece of LR i mounted it too has a tiny softie growing on it. Looks like a bleached out green star but too small to really tell. i bought that rock damp but not wet.... amazing what survives and eventually emerges.

BlueCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 01:23 AM   #10
scoutmaniak
Registered Member

The "clicking" noise could be a pistol shrimp. I know of a bunch of people that have had them come out of live rock. Do you have moon lights on your tank?? Sometimes the tank is more fun to watch at night, you never now what your gonna see, lol.

Michael

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon FW, 100 gallon Reef and 15 gallon nano
scoutmaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 09:20 AM   #11
BlueCoast
Registered Member

a small flashlight is a must for any reefkeeper. It's amazing what goes scurry in the night when some light hits it.

BlueCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 10:36 AM   #12
ACBlinky
Premium Member

I found a 1.5" (now over 2") chiton, a 2" flatworm and a small cherry-red mantis shrimp hiding in my old 30g more than six months after the last LR addition. I never heard or saw the mantis until I removed a coral for fragging and dropped the mantis into my lap! I found a big hitchhiking Xanthid crab in my old 65g, again months after the last addition of LR. I've found hitchhiking corals, inverts, HUGE worms, pods and macroalgae that all appear out of seemingly bare rock... LR never ceases to fascinate me.

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef, 30g sump/refugium, LED lighting, 100lbs LR, coral beauty, flame angel, blue & yellow tangs, gobies, damsels, 6-line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, dottyback, clown pair, rabbitfish, shrimp, crabs, CUC.
ACBlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 10:58 AM   #13
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Man, I've found a variety of life from decent uncured live rock in my 2.5 years. From the bad stuff from Aiptasia to Hydroids to cool stuff like Stomatella Snails, Rissoid Snails, Limpets, Chitons, etc. I occassionally hear popping in my tank, but it sounds like a hermit hitting his shell on the glass. I assume that it might be a pistol, but it could be a mantis. I also once had a pregnant female "gorilla" crab. That was an awesome sight. I also know that I have a tiny little crab that can jump and swim in the current. I've seen it once and never seen it again. I keep wondering if it was a baby that just happened to make it out of the larval stage from the female I found some 6 months or more ago.

Current Tank Info: Restarting 28g Bowfront
Travis L. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 11:13 AM   #14
Nykademus
Registered Member

I have a "popper" too.. but its not a manits. I even almost saw it once =). I turned on the light one morning (before I had a timer) and saw this brown streak into the LR.. I guess it to be a pistol, but dont know for sure.

And, only 3 or 4 nights ago I get up in the middle of the night, and look at some weird thing on the front of the tank.. I still havent ID'd it for certain, but I think its a sea slug.. about 1 1/4 inch snail w/o a shell looking creature.. brown and bumpy on it top side.

and people wonder why I turn into forrest gump in front of my tank.. if only they would sit with me for a while.

Nykademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 11:31 AM   #15
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nykademus
I have a "popper" too.. but its not a manits. I even almost saw it once =). I turned on the light one morning (before I had a timer) and saw this brown streak into the LR.. I guess it to be a pistol, but dont know for sure.

And, only 3 or 4 nights ago I get up in the middle of the night, and look at some weird thing on the front of the tank.. I still havent ID'd it for certain, but I think its a sea slug.. about 1 1/4 inch snail w/o a shell looking creature.. brown and bumpy on it top side.

and people wonder why I turn into forrest gump in front of my tank.. if only they would sit with me for a while.
Hopefully it's not a Polyclad Flatworm. Have a picture of it?

Current Tank Info: Restarting 28g Bowfront
Travis L. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2006, 12:10 PM   #16
dwculp
Registered Member

Every now and then I see these tiny "ghost" shrimp swaying on the rocks. They are nearly 100% translucent and 1/2 inch long and I only see them once every 4-5 months. I had not seen one in a LONG time and figured them/it to be dead, until I was looking at a pic the other day and there ibn the rock was my "ghost" shrimp.

Old 11/29/2006, 12:22 PM   #17
Nykademus
Registered Member

I dont have a picture of the one in my tank, but its brown and pretty plain really. I found one that was pretty close to the one I saw that I will post.. the only difference is mine didnt have much for spots.

I also looked through those Polyclads and didnt see anything that came close really.. why are those bad?

I figured that if things have been ok, w/o my knowing about it.. chances are it was fine =) it was grazing the front of the glass for algae n such it looked like.

Nykademus is offline   Reply With Quote