Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/15/2007, 10:14 PM   #1
dwculp
Registered Member

RR Vs. Undrilled Tank

I will be moving schools next year and I want to set up a larger system in my new room as the new room is HUGE. I am thinking around 150-180 gallons.

Currently I have a 75 FOWLR and a 40 gallon reef. Both have been thriving for 2.5 years in my current classroom and both are sump less.

Now for my question. A non RR tank is SO much cheaper than a RR tank. How hard is it to drill the tank yourself or use a HOB overflow?

Does anyone run a 180 system sump less?

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:19 PM   #2
deric203
Registered Member

Drilling was nerve racking but simple. follow the directions exactly. saved me a bunch on a 135g

deric203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:21 PM   #3
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

whats nice about reef ready tanks is that the holes are drilled in the bottom glass and not the rear. That allows you to put the tank right up against the wall.

With a regular non-RR tank you are foced to drill the rear glass because the bottoms are always tempered. Then you need 5-6" clearance on the rear for plumbing.

xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:25 PM   #4
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xenon
whats nice about reef ready tanks is that the holes are drilled in the bottom glass and not the rear. That allows you to put the tank right up against the wall.

With a regular non-RR tank you are foced to drill the rear glass because the bottoms are always tempered. Then you need 5-6" clearance on the rear for plumbing.
I know, and I have thought about that, but the cost difference between a RR tank and a non-RR tank is pretty large and may force me into a non-RR tank if I want to go large.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:48 PM   #5
deric203
Registered Member

I drilled on the end. Makes both lengths unobstructed. Add an overflow box from acrylic for about 40 bucks. One dremel bit per hole @$5.00 each, $30.00 for plumbing and two $30.00 tanks under the cabinet for sump and refugium.

Old 01/15/2007, 10:55 PM   #6
mano1192
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deric203
I drilled on the end. Makes both lengths unobstructed. Add an overflow box from acrylic for about 40 bucks. One dremel bit per hole @$5.00 each, $30.00 for plumbing and two $30.00 tanks under the cabinet for sump and refugium.
It is much cheaper to go Derics route, and drilling the tank is nothing to be scared of, very easy to do, just need patcience right Deric

mano1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2007, 10:58 PM   #7
deric203
Registered Member

hahaaaaaa....One of my vegasreefers buddies. Easy. Very scary!

Mano, help with my new water paramiters