Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/11/2007, 11:50 PM   #1
viodea
Registered Member

why can't put tank next to sun light?

I've read many articles for beginners, some suggest not putting a tank where there is sun light. On the other hand, people buy very expensive lighting to mimic sun light. I just don't understand why. Is it because it's harder to keep amount of light consistent?

viodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2007, 11:55 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Some people do use sunlight on their tanks, but unless the house has a well-placed skylight, sunlight tends not to be practical. The light from a window can overheat the tank and encourage algal growth. A lot depends on the size of the tank and the cooling available, etc.

Old 12/13/2007, 12:11 AM   #3
viodea
Registered Member

i see....
also, why the thread is not subscribed automatically when I start I new thread?

viodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 12:18 AM   #4
hybridgenius
Moved On

Also... sunlight beaming on your anemone and corals could really annoy them sometimes and keep them from expanding all the way.

hybridgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 01:04 AM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm not sure what you mean by not subscribed, but there's a lot of options under "My RC", and the feedback and questions forum people might be able to help.

Old 12/13/2007, 01:14 AM   #6
cy88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by viodea
i see....
I know what you mean. There are usually option. However, this is an older version of vB, which doesn't give you that option - I think.

cy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 06:54 AM   #7
baldomero
Registered Member

in the morning i open my curtain and let the sun in 4 about an hour before i turn my lights on its not alot of son but the fish seem happy and i dont get much algea,and its a 90 gallon fowlr tank

baldomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Agu
Registered Member

One of my tanks gets late afternoon sunlight and it never looks better than with the natural light.

But as pointed out heat can be a problem with too much direct sunlight through a window.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 08:34 AM   #9
rickh
Registered Member

One of my tanks gets sunlight. The coral would expand and stretch to the light. Unfortunately the sunlit area also had a Byropsis problem. I painted the end of the tank to reduce the natural light. The algae problem persisted and only a PO4 reactor solved it. In retrospect the Sun probably was a good thing and did not cause the algae problem. R

rickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 08:39 AM   #10
papagimp
COMAS Rocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by viodea
i see....
If you want the auto subscriptions, go to your control panel on RC
(the My RC button) and click on "Edit Options" and under "use email notification by default" click on yes. It'll email you with every response but it'll auto subscribe you to threads you start and/or reply in. Don't ask me why it's done that way, took me a minute and a few PM to mods to figure that one out

Member, Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society

Current Tank Info: 58g Mixed Reef Project - Started June 2011
papagimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

one word: cyanobacteria.

If your tank is susceptible, indirect sunlight really helps it thrive.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 08:51 AM   #12
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

good question!
i was wondering the same thing and surprised that more people dont try to 'harness' the natural lite... atleast supplementing the artificial liting they are using... seems to be an entirely overlooked area (imo atleast) in this hobby...

for my reef where its located etc...
sits on western side of house and gets all the afternoon lite on one end of the display... this is ok in the winter time but in the summer the heat is too much and cannot have it (live in desert)... havent had the time to thoroughly research this topic but its definitely something we are interested in down the road...

to have natural liting
one must be sure to keep their nutrient levels down to a minimum which will keep the algae from forming on the glass

if interested in natural liting
might research SOLATUBES... its the only one that i am aware of right now atleast... to install these in ones house themselves might be as cheap as a few hundred dollars.

here is a link that talks more about using natural liting
it references a guy in britain recognized as having one of the more beautiful displays around and he believes in/uses natural liting in addition to his other lites...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1264315

regards

K' Family Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2007, 10:41 AM   #13
HABS#1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
one word: cyanobacteria.

If your tank is susceptible, indirect sunlight really helps it thrive.
My tank get sunlight starting about 8 AM everyday till the lights come on at noon. The sun shines from the windows across the room. So unless I put the tank in teh basement there is no room in the house our tank will not get sunlight for atleast 4-5 hours a day.

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed. 2 Ocellaris clowns 2 Bluegreen chromis 1 PJ cardinal 1 blue tang 1 red reefstarfish 1 cleaner shrimp 1 Peppermint shrimp 1 BTA 1 Xenia 1 Lavender mushroom green open brain various CUC (coming soon 1 copperband butterfly)
HABS#1 is offline   Reply With Quote