Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/19/2008, 07:11 AM   #151
L98-Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whalehead9
It will get most of them, but you hit it on the head, They will return. Find a way to kill them manually. It will not be easy. persistence is the only solution. I have seen the sonic tooth method remove 12x12 areas of majanos quite quickly, but survivors must be dealt with mercilessly. kalk paste, dremel off small bits of liverock, and open up small caves so that hiding anemones can be killed. Use all option discussed.

If you do get a Butterfly to help out, you will still need to go over all the ones that it missed. Once you remove it get back to the brush, paste and all the other stuff to stop reinfestations in their tracks.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I can see this is going to be a terrible problem. I almost had the desire to simply bleach the tank yesterday I was so angry.

*Note, there are no fish in this take as this was the rock I was cycling it with

L98-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2008, 08:35 AM   #152
tatoofr
Registered Member

Anyone try a seagrass file fish?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
tatoofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2008, 09:53 AM   #153
L98-Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tatoofr
Anyone try a seagrass file fish?

Thanks
Do you know where you'd purchase one at? Doesn't appear to be a commonly sold fish.

Old 09/20/2008, 11:29 PM   #154
syrinx
Registered Member

Drs foster and smith have them fairly often. Other common trade name is jade filefish.

Old 09/21/2008, 07:59 AM   #155
L98-Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
Drs foster and smith have them fairly often. Other common trade name is jade filefish.
Jade filefish = Paramonacanthus japonicus

Seagrass filefish = Acreichthys tomentosum

Doesn't appear to be the same.

Old 09/21/2008, 08:07 AM   #156
powderbluetangy
Registered Member

Seagrass filefish = Acreichthys tomentosum or bristle-tail filefish

ive seen this one work first hand.. took out 200+ majanos in a week!

problem then becomes zoas....he ate all the zoas/palys in my tank... didnt have many, but thats what he'll eat next. Funny, he only went after the red and pink ones at first.. then the rest... other than the zoas.. he's been fine.. doesnt bother SPS. gets along with all the other fish fine.

needs to be fed multiple times a day

powderbluetangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2008, 01:09 PM   #157
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

http://www.sergeyphoto.com/underwate...sfilefish.html

its a neat looking fish!
glad to hear it (might) take care of majanos... look forward to hearing more peoples experiences w/ it.

regards

K' Family Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2008, 06:06 AM   #158
waterfaller1
Registered Member

I have thought since introducing a small majestic, then a small saddleback, that my majanos seem to be declining. I also see alot of them in the sock & on the glass all of the sudden. Then yesterday, I saw it! The majestic was cruising down the side of the glass and snatched one right off! Yay..success, I hope it continues.

waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2008, 05:56 PM   #159
montrealreef
Registered Member

waterfaller1,

You are lucky that your majestic angelfish likes them. Mine ignored the majanos for many months until one day out of the blue, it developed a taste for them. Best thing is that my majestic does not nip on any corals (I have mainly SPS) and it is not as shy as I thought it would be based on many internet articles. It is a beautiful, peaceful fish and it is almost always out in the open

montrealreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2008, 06:19 PM   #160
eggiel
Registered Member

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...ture_2_239.jpg

Are this majano

eggiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2008, 06:52 PM   #161
montrealreef
Registered Member

they don't look like them at all. Those look like zooanthids.

Old 10/01/2008, 07:22 PM   #162
eggiel
Registered Member

thank you I know i got aiptasia but i think i could kill it with Joes Juice

eggiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2008, 10:06 AM   #163
mott768
Premium Member

So where do you get the Seagrass filefish? No one seems to have them.

mott768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2008, 10:35 AM   #164
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by montrealreef
they don't look like them at all. Those look like zooanthids.

you want to be sure to check around your zoanthid rocks
bec majanos can easily hide/blend in w/ them... we thought we exterminated them once only to have them growing right under our eyes in amongst the zoanthids...

luckily we caught them early enough
and got by w/ bleaching about 40# of LR (out of over 200#) and got rid of the pest once and for all (fingers crossed that is - has been over a year since finding any more!)... might seem extreme to some folks but took a chance thinking that by removing any/all rocks that were associated w/ the majanos (thus any rock that they were found on or may have spread to)... so we (perhaps) got lucky to have caught it early... i still get paranoid sometimes when looking at some of the aiptasia that show up (thinking they might be majanos)... its always a sigh of relief though !

i still shudder anytime i hear someone asking about these
only to be told by others to approach it as a 'simple' pest to be dealt with - such as aiptasia etc...

regards

Old 10/07/2008, 10:36 PM   #165
jccash
Registered Member

I just discovered that what I thought was nice looking coral is Majano and it is spreading. I will be trying all of the above. Another thought I have is to simply take the rock out, try and save the coral and buy new rock. I'll cook the rock that the Majano is on. this is an expensive solution.... I might try Raccoon. I know a person who put one in his tank and that took care of the problem.

jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2008, 09:59 AM   #166
K' Family Reef
Registered Member

good luck! would be interested in hearing how it turns out if you decide to go that route.

regards

Old 10/12/2008, 02:23 AM   #167
MTB83
Registered Member

A new thought

There must be a natural solution to every problem in a reef tank. Unfortunately, Majanos are a problem we have not yet figured out a proper solution to. There has to be something that can kill them. I think the answer lies in the stinging ability of certain corals. After all Majanos are related to corals and certainly can't be invincible. What we need is to figure out what coral can pack the most punch and physically sting the crap out of the majanos. Like a handheld bug zapper. Now I have tried this on aiptasia using an Austrailian Elegance coral and was able to incinerate them without their return. But Majanos are stronger then aiptasia. Currentty I battle them by using tweezers and stab and rip them off. Keeps them down for awhile, and isnt that much effort to take down a field of these guys when your angry. The elegance did kill some, but some survive its sting. Maybe its a matter of exposier time. I'be tried using torch coral too. Come on ppl lets figure out what can zap the crap out of them, short of a box jellyfish.

MTB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 01:04 AM   #168
PoggiPJ
Premium Member

Re: A new thought

Quote:
Originally posted by MTB83
Come on ppl lets figure out what can zap the crap out of them, short of a box jellyfish
I'm with MTBB3. If we approach this "scientifically", and document every coral/animal that is "stronger" than the mojano we may be able to finally lick these bastards. They affected everything in my tank except for my frogspawns.

Current Tank Info: Working on a new 180 Build to replace my 220.
PoggiPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 02:07 AM   #169
Doureefa
Registered Member

I was just reading an article on majanos and the best, and most effective predator for majanos aare sea grass filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). "They have been known to pick on xeniid corals, leather corals and large polyp stony corals, but they are usually happy to just dine on majanos, Aiptasia and foods introduced by the aquarist (Marine Fish & Reef USA pg. 10).

Doureefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 09:37 AM   #170
Big Boy69
Registered Member

Get a seagrass filefish, reef safe. They will eat all manjo and aiptasia in your tank. I had one in my sps tank and he never picked on my sps. I have 3 different types of xenia growing on the back of my glass and I never seen him eat any, but I don't care about that, he hid in there at night, that's how I got him out.
After all the manjos and aiptasia was gone, he started eating some of my palys, that's when I removed him. But he also ate frozen food and pellets. He's in my buddys tank and hasn't eaten any of his zoos or palys. They only get about 3 inches long and cool as hell to watch.

Big Boy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 11:49 AM   #171
L98-Z
Registered Member

I thought the issue with the filefish is simply finding one?

Old 12/23/2008, 12:46 PM   #172
JSM
Premium Member

I haven't read this entire thread but thought I'd share that bi-color angels eat them. I had them in 2 different tanks, an infestation to be exact, put a bi-color in both tanks and within 5-6 wks they were completely gone. They will come back if you removed the fish or if it dies. I had one die and they started coming back, added another bi-color and haven't seen one since. Only you don't want a bi-color of you have clams or open brains.

Janna

JSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 05:47 PM   #173
montrealreef
Registered Member

I've had a bicolor for almost a year now...totally not interested in Majanos. What worked for me was a majestic angelfish. The majestic ignored them for 6 months then all of a sudden went crazy over them! Not a single one left in my 100G. At one point I think I had close to 200 of them.
FWIW I have open brain corals and 5 clams. Neither the bicolor nor the majestic have ever bothered them. I do keep them well fed and I think that helps.

Old 12/23/2008, 06:16 PM   #174
-=Efrain=-
Registered Member

Will a bi-color angle fight with a flame angle? I want to say yes but thought I would ask if any one has both in one tank.. I have a 125 6 footer..

Current Tank Info: 125 GL, Mixed Reef, Yellow, Hippo, Sailfin, Powder Blue, Kole Tangs, 2 Onyx Clowns, 4 Firefish, Midas Blenny, Malenarus & Yellow Coris Wrasse 3 250W MH 14K DE, 250Lbs LR, 150 Lbs LS, 2 Korilias 4s, 45g Sump/Fug, Carbon Reactor, Cal Reactor, Skimmer
-=Efrain=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2008, 07:07 PM   #175
montrealreef
Registered Member

It depends on your fish and your aquascape and most importantly your luck.

I have a flame angel, a lemon peel angel, a golden angel, and a bicolor angel in the same 100 G tank. I have a lot of live rock and there are lots of hiding spaces/caves. I introduced all 4 at the same time. I knew I was taking a risk, but a buddy of mine had done the same with no problems so I thought I would give it a try since I was desperate for something to eat the majanos.. The lemon peel and the bi-color fought for a couple of days, but them the lemon peel established dominance and they have been peaceful tank mates since. All my angelfish seem to get along quite well.

If your flame angel is well established in your tank and /or you don't have a lot of hiding spaces in your tank then I would say that the flame angel is likely to kill the bi-color. Keep in mind that for some reason, the bi-colors are very fragile in the beginning and many do not acclimatize well to life captivity. In fact, most will die (> 80%) . Once they become established however, they are quite hardy.

If I had to do it again I would probably not buy the bi-color. I keep hearing stories about how many of these poor guys die because of our hobby.

Check out the majestic angelfish. It is quite hardy, beautiful, and did the trick for me (granted it took 6 months before it even noticed the majanos, but eventually it got the job done)

good luck!

sam