Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/07/2010, 06:57 PM   #76
dahenley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavtats29 View Post
there is a micro switch in the controller that calls for the compressor to come on , you can either replace the controller or use a reef controller with a hd-4 power module to control the chiller , you can get the factory controller by calling the manufacture
cool, thank you.

is there a mercury switch or coil (like in older thermostats) or is it all electronic now a days?

is there a possibility to crack it open and see if something is oxidized or rusted or if electronic, i guess there is no real fix without replacing?

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2010, 07:17 PM   #77
richierich2000
SPS Crazy

I have a old chiller and the heat exchanger is bust. I will have to unhook it to make a new one how can I recharge it

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef and 125 gallon anemone/frag tank
richierich2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2010, 09:16 PM   #78
autodave
Registered Member

Dang-did a backflush and was working great w/a 5gallon bucket-temp holding steady-then I hooked it back up to my tank and temp started to bounce again.Should I put a new temp probe on?

autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2010, 11:11 PM   #79
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahenley View Post
cool, thank you.

is there a mercury switch or coil (like in older thermostats) or is it all electronic now a days?

is there a possibility to crack it open and see if something is oxidized or rusted or if electronic, i guess there is no real fix without replacing?
no merc everything is electronic now. ithe relay is pretty small and soldered to a pc board i dont believe it can be serviced

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube HQI
ihavtats29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2010, 11:21 PM   #80
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich2000 View Post
I have a old chiller and the heat exchanger is bust. I will have to unhook it to make a new one how can I recharge it
ifd the exchanger is cracked you can get a drill or dremel with w small drill bit and score the crack or cracks the fill the grove with superglue gel , ive repaired many this way , the best and correct way to recharge the system would be to first replace the liquid line dryer, leak check with compressed dry nitrogen only !!! about 150 psi will be good , then bleed out the nitrogen and pull a vaccum for a hr or so the weigh in the correct charge of refridgerant . you can allways get it down to where you just need the vaccum and charge and get a hvac tech to do it for you

Old 06/07/2010, 11:22 PM   #81
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodave View Post
Dang-did a backflush and was working great w/a 5gallon bucket-temp holding steady-then I hooked it back up to my tank and temp started to bounce again.Should I put a new temp probe on?
id pull the probe from the heat exchanger first check for any deposits, if its good and clean i would change it

Old 06/12/2010, 01:04 PM   #82
Jacob Sellers
Registered Member

Venting question

What is the best way to vent a chiller that has to be located under at stand. Cutting a vent in side of the tank the size of the exhaust and butting the chiller up to the vent or building a box around the back of the chiller and running duct vent out the side of the stand. the box/duct option is appealing because it requires a smaller hole to be cut in the side of my stand. My stand by the way is quite large. thanks.

Jacob Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2010, 08:44 PM   #83
iaJim
Registered Member

Universal Marine Chiller

I have a Universal Marine Industries chiller that I've had for over ten years. It's run perfectly for a long time, but I noticed that I hadn't heard it running today. upon inspection, I found that the controller dial on the front of the unit clicks on and off, but the compressor doesn't start.

Is repair out of the question? Don't know what other info to give you.

iaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2010, 10:49 PM   #84
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Sellers View Post
What is the best way to vent a chiller that has to be located under at stand. Cutting a vent in side of the tank the size of the exhaust and butting the chiller up to the vent or building a box around the back of the chiller and running duct vent out the side of the stand. the box/duct option is appealing because it requires a smaller hole to be cut in the side of my stand. My stand by the way is quite large. thanks.
the best way is tohave the chiller in its own compartment open in the back so the warm comdencer air can excape freely but divided from the sump and other equip , a couple cooling fans to push cool air into the compartment

Old 06/12/2010, 10:52 PM   #85
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaJim View Post
I have a Universal Marine Industries chiller that I've had for over ten years. It's run perfectly for a long time, but I noticed that I hadn't heard it running today. upon inspection, I found that the controller dial on the front of the unit clicks on and off, but the compressor doesn't start.

Is repair out of the question? Don't know what other info to give you.
first check the fuse, then the capasitor , start relay and external overload , these 3 things are not expensive to replace and can be bought at and hvac supply house or on the internet , i would only replace the unit if the compressor was shot

Old 06/13/2010, 05:24 AM   #86
iaJim
Registered Member

Quote:
first check the fuse, then the capasitor , start relay and external overload , these 3 things are not expensive to replace and can be bought at and hvac supply house or on the internet , i would only replace the unit if the compressor was shot
Is this something that any refrigeration repair person or HVAC person could do? I would have no idea what to look for other than the fuse.

Old 06/13/2010, 07:00 AM   #87
Jacob Sellers
Registered Member

Quote:
the best way is tohave the chiller in its own compartment open in the back so the warm comdencer air can excape freely but divided from the sump and other equip , a couple cooling fans to push cool air into the compartment
Thanks.

Jacob Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2010, 09:49 AM   #88
iaJim
Registered Member

Quote:
I opened up the Universal Marine chiller and found that the controller unit that is permanently mounted to the perforated masonite end panel has a plug in it that has the compressor plugged into it. It's a standard plug. I unplugged the compressor from the controller and plugged it into an extension cord and the compressor went right on. Is there any reason that I can't just control the compressor with the Aquacontroller Jr. controls? I have been doing that anyway and have just considered the controller on the chiller a failsafe.

Old 06/14/2010, 09:17 AM   #89
ari5736
Registered Member

Quote:
last time you PM'd your chiller?

not much to do to a chiller to keep it running correctly here are 2 things you should allways perform to your chiller to keep it operating correctly

1) clean filter as often as once a month

2) blow out the condencer coil every 6 months

What do the filter and condencer coil look like?

ari5736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2010, 10:30 AM   #90
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Is this something that any refrigeration repair person or HVAC person could do? I would have no idea what to look for other than the fuse.
yes they would have no proble checking those items and makeing the repairs

Old 06/14/2010, 10:32 AM   #91
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
I opened up the Universal Marine chiller and found that the controller unit that is permanently mounted to the perforated masonite end panel has a plug in it that has the compressor plugged into it. It's a standard plug. I unplugged the compressor from the controller and plugged it into an extension cord and the compressor went right on. Is there any reason that I can't just control the compressor with the Aquacontroller Jr. controls? I have been doing that anyway and have just considered the controller on the chiller a failsafe.
that is perfact i have a chiller running on the same unit you will be fine with that controler

Old 06/14/2010, 10:34 AM   #92
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari5736 View Post
What do the filter and condencer coil look like?
the condencer coil is at the back of the unit looks like metal fins, the filter is located behind the fron cover of the unit and unscrews and can be washed out with a water hose or in the sink , let dry before reinstalling

Old 06/25/2010, 02:03 PM   #93
kevoo901
Registered Member

hey jim, richard at memfish told me to reach out to you, i think im having some issure with my chiller, please give me a called 846-6255

kevoo901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2010, 02:34 PM   #94
TheH
Registered Member

kevoo901, you can just private-message him you don't have to put your personal information up here unless your are okay with it.

TheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2010, 05:21 PM   #95
kevoo901
Registered Member

ok thanks, i tried to private-message him and the system wouldn't let me, i think cause this was my 1st time using it

kevoo901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2010, 08:50 PM   #96
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevoo901 View Post
ok thanks, i tried to private-message him and the system wouldn't let me, i think cause this was my 1st time using it
PM recieved and replied to

Old 06/25/2010, 11:14 PM   #97
craps_dealer
Registered Member

Little Help

I purchased a Pacific Coast CL-600 1/4 HP In-Line Chiller with digital thermostat and temperature control from a fellow RCer. When I bought it he said it had only been used 4 months. I hooked it up last summer and used it for about 3 months then it started clicking. It would start up when the Temp got above the set point but it is not chilling at all and just keeps running. The fan is just blowing room temp air, not pulling any heat out of the exchanger. I had a friend that is in the HVAC ad he said he could not see what was wrong with it. I can hear the comp trying to kick on, it clicks and you can see lights flicker so I know it is trying to draw amps but nothing. Any ideas?

craps_dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2010, 07:42 PM   #98
craps_dealer
Registered Member

Bump

craps_dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2010, 09:22 PM   #99
slickmin
Registered Member

question, would i be able to put my chiller in the window as i would with a ac. my chiller blow hot *** air into the room couzin the temp of the tank to go up couzin the chiller to stay on all day..

slickmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2010, 11:37 PM   #100
scaryperson27
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by craps_dealer View Post
I purchased a Pacific Coast CL-600 1/4 HP In-Line Chiller with digital thermostat and temperature control from a fellow RCer. When I bought it he said it had only been used 4 months. I hooked it up last summer and used it for about 3 months then it started clicking. It would start up when the Temp got above the set point but it is not chilling at all and just keeps running. The fan is just blowing room temp air, not pulling any heat out of the exchanger. I had a friend that is in the HVAC ad he said he could not see what was wrong with it. I can hear the comp trying to kick on, it clicks and you can see lights flicker so I know it is trying to draw amps but nothing. Any ideas?
I am no professional, but it sounds like the piston inside the compressor is having issues. It's seems sounds like it isn't pushing the refrigerant at all. Where exactly is the clicking coming from? Have you figured out if it is coming from the compressor? They don't make those compressors like they used to.

scaryperson27 is offline   Reply With Quote