Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/28/2007, 11:25 PM   #1
fahadahmed
Registered Member

Nano Cube for Reef

I currently have a 125 FOWLR with PC lights and want to add "Reef" to my hobby / obsession. I didnt' want to deal with upgrading the lights, chiller and other equipments required for reef. So, I thought of starting of a Nano Cube for Reef.

Firstly, is it a good idea to get a nano cube for reef?

Secondly, what do you guy / gals think of this system:

JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube HQI Aquarium

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~JB7141.html

Current Tank Info: FOWLR - 125g 100lbs LR, Sump, 25W UV, 260w PC lights & Euro-Reef 135 Skimmer -
fahadahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 01:29 AM   #2
scram2
Moved On

My buddy has that tank and you can put about anytype of coral in there its got everything you need... good choice if you want to stick with Cubes. i have a 24 aquapod and it works good but if you want SPS then go with that tank

scram2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 05:46 AM   #3
MalHavoc
Infinitely Prolonged

I have a 24 gallon AquaPod and SPS are not a problem if you get the Current-USA SunPod 150w HQI hood for it. you can definitely do a reef tank with a nano cube - check out the Nano tank forum here on RC for inspiration.

"Empathy, he once had decided, must be limited to herbivores or anyhow omnivores who could depart from a meat diet. Because, ultimately, the empathic gift blurred the boundaries between hunter and victim, between the successful and the defeated."

-- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K Dick
MalHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 10:41 AM   #4
fahadahmed
Registered Member

What are the challenges of running a Nano?

What do you guys think about the one I posted on top? Is the price good?

Current Tank Info: FOWLR - 125g 100lbs LR, Sump, 25W UV, 260w PC lights & Euro-Reef 135 Skimmer -
fahadahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 11:02 AM   #5
MalHavoc
Infinitely Prolonged

Nanos are challenging because you've got less water to dilute your mistakes. You have to be diligent about salinity, water changes, and over stocking, because it's hard to add a sump to most "all in one" nano packages like the AquaPod or the cubes. Te JBJ cube you posted about is nice. They are all roughly about the same in terms of performance.

"Empathy, he once had decided, must be limited to herbivores or anyhow omnivores who could depart from a meat diet. Because, ultimately, the empathic gift blurred the boundaries between hunter and victim, between the successful and the defeated."

Old 12/29/2007, 11:03 AM   #6
MalHavoc
Infinitely Prolonged

Oh, I suggest that you resist the urge to buy corals like you'd normally do for a regular reef. You need to hold out for the special ones, and resist the urge to stock it with fast growing specimens that will make you do a LOT of work. There's not a lot of room in a nano - go slowly.

Old 12/29/2007, 03:46 PM   #7
scram2
Moved On

are you could get alot and frag them a lot lol... but i agree i dont have a MH i just bought the curent usa tank 34g and i've got the MH for sps but the jbj is a great tank i almost got that one but decided with a little bit bigger of a tank. thats an ok price ive seen them for 450 at a store by my work. the nice thing with that tank is it comes with everything you would need and it has a bilt in skimmer in the back. i would go for it.

scram2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 09:02 PM   #8
tcilmo
Registered Member

I have a ran a 20 gallon for 2 years now with just a biowheel filter and compact flouresent lights and have had great luck with mushrooms and zoo's, even got some lps in their too doing just fine. With that said the nano tanks should be perfect for you, just me on top of salinity and water changes.

tcilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 10:16 PM   #9
zhenjw
Registered Member

Much better improvement on this model than the old NC. With this one you can put the LEDs and Daylights on two different timers. One surefire way to make your tank more stable in between water changes is to convert the overflow compartment in the back into a fuge to help with nutrient export. I have some pics of the DIY fuge I made on my NC DX on my website.

Current Tank Info: Bio Cube 8&14, 35G Fuge, 180G~Frogspawn, Fungia, Open Brain, Xenia, Kenya Tree, Zoas, Tube Anemone, Tube Worm, Pink Milli, Metallic Grn Birdsnest, Baby Blue Acro, Green Donut, Orange Digi, Purple Lotoptes, Yellow Porite, Firefish, Carpntr Wrasse,
zhenjw is offline   Reply With Quote