Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/29/2007, 10:07 PM   #1
NWBRADSHAW
Registered Member

HUGE Bristleworm...

I found a bristleworm crawling across the bottom of my tank that was over a foot long. It has to be close to 2 feet when stretched out.

I am thinking this is a problem, but not sure?

NWBRADSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 10:15 PM   #2
pdfb55
Registered Member

I had one about that size and probably 1/2 in. diameter in my old tank. It scared the crap out of me when I first saw it but I left him in there, never touch a thing.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 120 Tech, 48 inch maristar fixture, MRC Skimmer, Geo 618 Reactor, 2x Vortech MP40w, APEX controller
pdfb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 10:27 PM   #3
zhenjw
Registered Member

Awsome. You should take it out and cut it into small pieces so you can have more. They're good detritivores....assuming it is of the pink variety.

Current Tank Info: Bio Cube 8&14, 35G Fuge, 180G~Frogspawn, Fungia, Open Brain, Xenia, Kenya Tree, Zoas, Tube Anemone, Tube Worm, Pink Milli, Metallic Grn Birdsnest, Baby Blue Acro, Green Donut, Orange Digi, Purple Lotoptes, Yellow Porite, Firefish, Carpntr Wrasse,
zhenjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 11:09 PM   #4
stevelkaneval
Registered Member

no pics?????????????

"You fail me yet again Star Scream, get them."

Current Tank Info: 20 long,korilia 1,and small ph,aquaclear70 moded fuge,coralife pc's,aqualight flouresent,seaclone skimmer,35lbs lr,green mushrooms and red and blue,and dragon eye zoas,assorted hermit crabs,nassarius snails,turbo snail,
stevelkaneval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2007, 11:54 PM   #5
pledosophy
Registered Member

Had a 4' one. The ones that big are actually not bristles but a different species whose name left me 3 beers ago.

There is a member who had a 7' one. Creepy.

Oregonreef.com

Old 12/30/2007, 07:40 AM   #6
greenbean36191
Premium Member

There's no reason to worry about a worm that size unless you can confirm that it's a eunicid of Oenone. If it's got the painful bristles then it isn't and it's completely harmless.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up
greenbean36191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Chihuahua6
Premium Member

That is so gross. Got a pic? lol

Current Tank Info: First salt tank 1985, current tank 150 g acrylic
Chihuahua6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

I had 4 10" -ers who never left their own rocks. Really sorry to lose those guys: they kept their rocks really healthy.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2007, 08:16 AM   #9
NWBRADSHAW
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a macro lens for my camera. So my pics always turn out pretty crappy.

There was no way I was gonna touch it, so I don't know if it stings or not. But it is a pinkish color, and pretty skinny for its length.

I think for now I will leave him in there...

Thanks for the help.

NWBRADSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote