Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/03/2011, 09:57 AM   #1
rodster912000
Registered Member

sump plumbing

i am planning on plumbing in my sump this weekend and doing a litle research i have found that pvc is for waste water and is not intended for potable water. but cpvc is for potable water but only comes in 3/4. has anyone had and trouble with useing regular pvc to plumb in the sump. also i am useing a tunze silence 1073.40 with a output size of 3/4. my other question is should i keep it 3/4 all the way for the return to the dt, if so then i can use the cpvc that is for potable water! or if i increased the size to 1" would i get better circulation/more valume of water flowing???

litle info on what i have: 800gph over flow gonnna be draining with 1" pvc(unless experts say otherwise) to a 20 gal long tank octopus 110 to tunze 1073.040 t'ed with return going to dt and trickle to fuge. return i am planning to be 3/4"

rodster912000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

I would have to guess that the vast majority of us (( people on RC )) have used PVC on their tanks with 0 issues, I know that I have.

I would use 1 inch, less restriction. About 4 years ago (( when I moved )) I redid one of my returns went from 1/2 inch (( the way it was set up for me )) and went with 1 inch, was shocked at the increase in the flow.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Daimyo68
Registered Member

PVC, as mentioned is used by the vast majority and is fine.

As for 3/4 or 1" pipe, use the head loss calculator on the RC front page to see did going to 1" will be an advantage.

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 10:54 AM   #4
wbdevers
Registered Member

PVC is fine. You were looking at DWV pipe most likely which is very thin walled but regardless you can use either one. Just make sure it is at least schedule 40 pipe on the return. PVC has een sued in cold water home systems for years. The CPVC is rated for hot water due to the extra "C"=chlorinated poly-vinyl chloride. Doesn't lose it's pressure rateing with hot water. I would recommend staying with the 3/4" on the return due to that being how it was made. My pump is rated at 800gph and I'm runnig 3/4" and have dialed back the flow because it was too high.

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!
"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails

Current Tank Info: 125g ML dual corner OF mixed reef, Custom stand and canopy, 40g custom sump, lighting (in flux :( )
wbdevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 01:16 PM   #5
chimmike
oxygen abuser

if it's only for waste water then most homes with PVC plumbing have an issue, lol. I've never heard that PVC is meant for waste water only.

I've always used PVC and never had any problems.

chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 01:17 PM   #6
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

You'll be fine with 3/4" plumbing.... Its the same return pump I'm using and mine is all 3/4" PVC.

I dropped the true union ball valve in there incase I ever need to clean things out, the right valve is for a reactor, and the left valve is to slow flow from the pump if I ever needed.

I made a whip of black vinyl tubing too so I can work on the pump easier and helps with any vibrations. You'll love the return pump, there's definitely a reason they call it the Silence model.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer th
badazztealcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2011, 02:22 PM   #7
rodster912000
Registered Member

thanks guys pvc it is!also glad i picked a good pump all thought i did my research on them as well lol. im gonna try the 3/4 for now only becouse cobra has the same pump and is happy with his flow. thanks again

rodster912000 is offline   Reply With Quote