Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/20/2015, 03:38 PM   #1126
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Well done. You are going to love it. I love mine on the RMS. Money well spent
How is the RMS with the xr30? Heard some reports of it sagging under the weight, but it only looked like it happened on rimmed tanks.

And do you have the regular version or pro?


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:04 PM   #1127
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Reduck... Just like you said, Tunze had great customer service and sending out a new pump to me now. That is a company I do not mind spending a few extra dollars on.

I also went ahead and spread out my light schedule to have my 15kish about 4 hrs a day... Going to see how that is going to do. Still have it 55% during that time and then back up to 65% for the rest
Yea. Great customer service. It's well worth the extra few bucks. But you should grab a spare pump, just in case. They are fairly cheap...and I don't know about you, but I hate doing manual top offs...

I'm at close to that in time now. Sticking with 18-20k at 60%. Then dark blue at 65 for a bit. I'll lower the k and start spreading it out in another week. So far my issues are almost gone. Some gha remains but the blennie is taking care of it in his own time. No new growth has happened. I cut my Phosban to less than half the recommended amount too.

Started using the Red Sea pro mag and nitrate kits. They cost a few bucks more but they are damn accurate....on my third set of Hanna reagents for alk and cal. I think I can go back to biweekly testing again after this week. The dos is humming along perfectly now...


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:05 PM   #1128
bizacon
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
How is the RMS with the xr30? Heard some reports of it sagging under the weight, but it only looked like it happened on rimmed tanks.

And do you have the regular version or pro?
There was a little sagging at first, but I held the light were I wanted it to be and then i tightened up and sits really well. Does look very clean and you will appreciate it.

I do not have the pro, just the "regular" version if you can call a $649 light regular I did not do the pro, after reading and thinking, decided to pocket the $100....now shooooottttt what is an extra $100 right?

If I would do it again, I would go Pro


__________________
Reefer 425XL
bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:10 PM   #1129
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
There was a little sagging at first, but I held the light were I wanted it to be and then i tightened up and sits really well. Does look very clean and you will appreciate it.

I do not have the pro, just the "regular" version if you can call a $649 light regular I did not do the pro, after reading and thinking, decided to pocket the $100....now shooooottttt what is an extra $100 right?

If I would do it again, I would go Pro
Yea, I've seen color differences between Pro and regular. And with the UV on the Pro, it seems to make the corals and the fish "Pop" more. I figured, hey its only $100 difference, might as well get pro now rather than wish I had.


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:25 PM   #1130
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Yea, I've seen color differences between Pro and regular. And with the UV on the Pro, it seems to make the corals and the fish "Pop" more. I figured, hey its only $100 difference, might as well get pro now rather than wish I had.
Uv is on the regular too. Pro has additional LEDs and more color channels.
And of course, more power.
You did the right thing. I wish I had bought the pro, but I got a smoking deal on my g1. Little did I know ecotech would be so slow in making upgrades available.
I have even considered just buying a new pro and selling my g1.

If you don't trust the rms, look at reefkoi website. He makes a killer mount that I use. It's a aluminum frame that sits on the edges.

http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_pa...oducts_id=2744


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:29 PM   #1131
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Its not that I dont trust the RMS. I've seen nothing but good reviews on it. Just was curious about the sagging, some people said its only evident on rimmed tanks.

My ONLY concern with the RMS is if it will fit with my Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer. Will have to see.


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 04:53 PM   #1132
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Its not that I dont trust the RMS. I've seen nothing but good reviews on it. Just was curious about the sagging, some people said its only evident on rimmed tanks.

My ONLY concern with the RMS is if it will fit with my Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer. Will have to see.
Hope it works for you. It's a clean looking mount. I just did not have room for it back there and it did not fit in my plans to build a canopy.(which has been stalled forever due to work. I hate when work gets in the way of my hobbies)
I also worry about stresses on AIO tank sides. Last thing anyone needs is a tank blowout.


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 05:00 PM   #1133
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
hate when work gets in the way of my hobbies.
Would be cool to get paid for our hobbies.. lol


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 05:15 PM   #1134
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Would be cool to get paid for our hobbies.. lol
It wouldn't be a hobby then...it'd be work! 😀


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 06:26 PM   #1135
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
It wouldn't be a hobby then...it'd be work! 😀
Yea, but I have so many different hobbies my work would never get boring.


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 06:30 PM   #1136
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Yea, but I have so many different hobbies my work would never get boring.
That sounds like retirement to me!


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 06:36 PM   #1137
bizacon
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 735
Here is a pic for you to get an idea of the mount and the new addition to the bacon house






__________________
Reefer 425XL
bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 06:37 PM   #1138
bizacon
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Yea, but I have so many different hobbies my work would never get boring.
Does not sound like retirement, sounds like single... oh how i miss those days..


__________________
Reefer 425XL
bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 07:01 PM   #1139
jguinn
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Does not sound like retirement, sounds like single... oh how i miss those days..
+1000. Just wait until #2 comes along and instead of adding modules to your Apex, you're paying for trips to the doc-in-a-box for some sterile super glue thanks to #2 inventing a weapon out of what you thought were harmless stuffed animals and assaulting #1.

That Avast probe holder does look nice back there. Excited to get mine in.

Stupid ATO newbie question... in relation to the compartment dividers in the sump area, how high do you guys keep your water level? I haven't replaced the original media baskets yet, so it seems like a slightly lower water level forces more water to flow straight down out of the overflow and through the media. Raising the water level up closer to the top of the compartment dividers seems definitely makes things much, much quieter but it looks like more of the water is flowing over top of the media when it comes through the overflow. My assumption is that I'll want to keep the water level up closer to the top of the dividers to reduce the noise, etc... and that the incoming water will be forced to flow through the media rather than around it when I replace those media baskets with the InTank baskets. Am I on the right path there?


__________________
IM Fusion 40 Neptune Apex Kessil A360WE MP10WES
Aquamaxx HOB-1 IM Media Reactors Avast ATO
jguinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2015, 07:05 PM   #1140
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Here is a pic for you to get an idea of the mount and the new addition to the bacon house



Leans a little bit, but not as bad as I saw it on the Rimmed tanks


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 04:56 AM   #1141
bizacon
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 735
You are going to keep your sensor for the ATO in the center chamber in the back. This will keep the water level throughout the whole tank. Make sure that the sensor is positioned where it will turn the ATO off before it reaches the top of the baffle on either side. You want to keep the water level lower than the last baffle so the water is forced to go through all chambers in the back.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn View Post
+1000. Just wait until #2 comes along and instead of adding modules to your Apex, you're paying for trips to the doc-in-a-box for some sterile super glue thanks to #2 inventing a weapon out of what you thought were harmless stuffed animals and assaulting #1.

That Avast probe holder does look nice back there. Excited to get mine in.

Stupid ATO newbie question... in relation to the compartment dividers in the sump area, how high do you guys keep your water level? I haven't replaced the original media baskets yet, so it seems like a slightly lower water level forces more water to flow straight down out of the overflow and through the media. Raising the water level up closer to the top of the compartment dividers seems definitely makes things much, much quieter but it looks like more of the water is flowing over top of the media when it comes through the overflow. My assumption is that I'll want to keep the water level up closer to the top of the dividers to reduce the noise, etc... and that the incoming water will be forced to flow through the media rather than around it when I replace those media baskets with the InTank baskets. Am I on the right path there?



__________________
Reefer 425XL
bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 06:11 AM   #1142
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Does not sound like retirement, sounds like single... oh how i miss those days..
yea..they are long forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguinn View Post
+1000.
Stupid ATO newbie question... in relation to the compartment dividers in the sump area, how high do you guys keep your water level? I haven't replaced the original media baskets yet, so it seems like a slightly lower water level forces more water to flow straight down out of the overflow and through the media. Raising the water level up closer to the top of the compartment dividers seems definitely makes things much, much quieter but it looks like more of the water is flowing over top of the media when it comes through the overflow. My assumption is that I'll want to keep the water level up closer to the top of the dividers to reduce the noise, etc... and that the incoming water will be forced to flow through the media rather than around it when I replace those media baskets with the InTank baskets. Am I on the right path there?
Keep the level as Biz described. Just below the dividers. I have my float set just at the very top of them almost to the point of overflowing. You don't want it to overflow into each other so the skimmer and chambers work.
But you also want it as high as you can get it in the tank and center chamber. Sometimes if the level goes low in that center, you will get microbubbles from the return lines. Some of the 90 degree connectors don't fit tightly and they can suck air from the part thats uncovered with water.
If that happens, twist them tighter or put a layer of teflon tape around them.


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 06:12 AM   #1143
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
BTW- Reefapalooza NY, June 27-28th... tix on sale now..


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 05:31 PM   #1144
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Finally!


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150421_172055-1.jpg (67.3 KB, 74 views)
OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 05:38 PM   #1145
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Finally!
Yay! We have tank!


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 07:20 PM   #1146
mystikal
Registered Member
 
mystikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Apopka-Orlando, Florida
Posts: 611
Congrats!


__________________
IM 40 -> Reefer 250 Transition :)
My Tank Journal http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582745
mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2015, 08:32 PM   #1147
Hentz
Registered Member
 
Hentz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Finally!
Grats! You're going to love the Fusion 40!


__________________
A Reef in the Desert:
120 Gallon (4x2x2) - MP40 x2 - Gyre 130 - ATI Sunpower - Simplicity Pump/Skimmer - Controlled by Apex
Hentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2015, 12:34 AM   #1148
OsiViper
Registered Member
 
OsiViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 738
Do you guys have acrophora in your tank? I only have a few LPS in my biocube currently and they were dipped, but not quarantined.

I am wanting to set my 40 up as a mixed so plan on getting acrophora and been reading about AEFW and redbugs.

Now I'm all paranoid that I should setup a coral quarantine tank too. I planned to have one setup for my fish, but not corals. Usually do a bayer dip and then coral rx and I haven't had a problem. Only have a few corals though.

Did you guys quarantine all your corals?


OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2015, 06:23 AM   #1149
Reduck
Because I can....
 
Reduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Do you guys have acrophora in your tank? I only have a few LPS in my biocube currently and they were dipped, but not quarantined.

I am wanting to set my 40 up as a mixed so plan on getting acrophora and been reading about AEFW and redbugs.

Now I'm all paranoid that I should setup a coral quarantine tank too. I planned to have one setup for my fish, but not corals. Usually do a bayer dip and then coral rx and I haven't had a problem. Only have a few corals though.

Did you guys quarantine all your corals?
No acros, but lots of various others..
I use the bayer and crx as well. No quarantine. Only things I have brought in so far are asterinas and the occasional bristle worm (yuk).

Trust in your LFS or supplier is important. The good ones all dip before they put them in their tanks. As precaution, the process is repeated before placing in my DT.


__________________
The tank ate my wallet...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2015, 06:32 AM   #1150
bizacon
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 735
I have them in my tank. I went a head and did a coral dip for them and then in they went. I order from reputable companies (jason fox signature, wwc) just so that i know the quality is there.

I am not one to quarantine fish and coral. I know it is a hot debate, but since I order from reputable places and buy fish in person I go that way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Do you guys have acrophora in your tank? I only have a few LPS in my biocube currently and they were dipped, but not quarantined.

I am wanting to set my 40 up as a mixed so plan on getting acrophora and been reading about AEFW and redbugs.

Now I'm all paranoid that I should setup a coral quarantine tank too. I planned to have one setup for my fish, but not corals. Usually do a bayer dip and then coral rx and I haven't had a problem. Only have a few corals though.

Did you guys quarantine all your corals?



__________________
Reefer 425XL
bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.