Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/28/2007, 04:33 PM   #1
destaf3080
Registered Member

A cheap sump

i want to use a Brute Square Container for a sump, and i 'm wondering what are the pros and cons of this. link below shows the one i would like to you use. Thanks in advance.

http://www.become.com/shop?q=square+brute+container

destaf3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2007, 11:54 PM   #2
CaptainCoral
Registered Member

The pro's are that it's cheap, and things can be kept simple. The cons are that you'll have to come up with creative ways to accomplish some of the more complicated benefits of expensive sumps. I love my cheap mans sump. Pics are in my gallery.

BTW, I have seen very sturdy brute totes at Menards, but they have been a rare find in my experience. Oh yeah, I stopped and looked at them not knowing I wouldn't see them again, but I really had no need for one.

I cut a euro brace out of the lid on my 39 gal sterilite tote and zip tied it on. It's very solid. I even use two as remote dsb/fuges.

Go for it, cut that lid into a euro brace, and you should have a sump that works very well on the cheap.

Current Tank Info: 55[QuarantineTank],75[softie,clown/anemone], and 180 AGA reefs
CaptainCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 12:42 AM   #3
schoolisbad1
Registered Member

I just made mine out of a rubbermaid type thing and im pretty sure its going to work pretty well. I have the main tub, used these ice tray holder things to make a seperate fuge area from my skimmer and a drain. dont have water in it yet but id try it. worse come the worse toss it.

schoolisbad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 05:52 AM   #4
jbrownjr67
Registered Member

if you are good at building you can make it out of plywood and seal with marine grade apoxy resin. then you can get size and shape you want and divide it up however you need too.

jbrownjr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 06:11 AM   #5
scottfarcuz
Registered Member

Brute containers you linked to start at $30 and go up. You can buy a small all glass tank new, and a few pc's of glass for baffles for not much more.

I have a 125g sump I made this way. Its a used aga 125 and about $15 worth of glass I had cut. I got a really good deal on the tank, but I think I have a total of about $90 in the whole thing.

scottfarcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2007, 09:50 AM   #6
CaptainCoral
Registered Member

I think the reminder that used tanks can be altered was a good call, and a good way to end up with a more professional sump cheaply.

Maybe we could share more pics of ultra cheap sumps to gather and share ideas while destaf3080 still has time to make a decision. BTW, the sump for my 180 reef cost only 15 dollars. I do have a remote DSB fuge beside the display in a 40gal breeder aga. I didn't need that in the sump, because I wanted pods and such to empty strait into the display. My other tanks use the 39gal sterilite rdsbs to save money and they are low enough for top down viewing anyway. My other tanks just use 20gal long tanks for sumps bought cheap at Meijer.

Current Tank Info: 55[QuarantineTank],75[softie,clown/anemone], and 180 AGA reefs
CaptainCoral is offline   Reply With Quote