Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/18/2007, 02:48 PM   #1
FishAreFriends2
Registered Member

Is it safe or bad if a fish eats cheatos?

I have a angel munching on some and when it poops its white cheato that comes back out. So is there any harm for a fish to consume this?

FishAreFriends2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2007, 02:55 PM   #2
reefshadow
Registered Member

No, not directly. The "harm" comes in with the fact that the idea of growing macro algae is to let it take up the nutrients that can fuel less desireable algaes. When fish are eating it, that energy isn't being completely exported out of the tank by you manually removing and discarding algae, it is just being returned to the environment in the form of fish poop.

That's why a refugium is so nice, it lets the algae grow w/o interference (except by you).

Current Tank Info: 30 Deep Blue shallow mixed rimless, MP10, Ecoxotic LED's, SCA 301 skimmer.
reefshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2007, 03:00 PM   #3
FishAreFriends2
Registered Member

I read about the refugium but didnt have one at the time and someone gave it to me and I didnt want to throw it away. So I stuck it in my tank for the meantime and the angel picks at it. So would this harm the fish if it eats it? I will pull it back out today when I get home. I just want to know is there any harm for a fish to be eatting it.

Old 08/18/2007, 03:11 PM   #4
reefshadow
Registered Member

Not that I know of. Many of the fish we keep eat algaes in the wild, and AFAIK chaetomorpha doesn't have toxic turpenoids (spelling?) like some algaes can have. I wouldn't worry about it.

Current Tank Info: 30 Deep Blue shallow mixed rimless, MP10, Ecoxotic LED's, SCA 301 skimmer.
Old 08/18/2007, 04:56 PM   #5
illal
Registered Member

its fine

Old 08/18/2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Chaeto is fine. Cheetos, not so much.

Old 08/18/2007, 05:22 PM   #7
patej
Registered Member.

you'll be fine, my fish do the same

patej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2007, 05:31 PM   #8
FishAreFriends2
Registered Member

I'm lost now I posted this on the newby side and somone said it can kill them....
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1187484

Old 08/18/2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

It may depend on the species and the age/size of the fish. I'd try to discourage it: try plastic needlepoint canvas [michael's, hobby lobby] cut to keep the vegetation on its own side.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/18/2007, 05:42 PM   #10
FishAreFriends2
Registered Member

err sorry sk8r Im not catching on.

Old 08/18/2007, 05:43 PM   #11
reefshadow
Registered Member

I really wouldn't worry about it. It is hard to tell why the fish in the other thread supposedly had a fecal impaction, intestinal problems could be the sign of another underlying problem that would have happened with any food that only gets partially digested. Poor excercise (not enough space, current) and cyanide come to mind immediately. Just because the impaction was formed of chaeto doesn't mean it was the underlying cause. Intestinal disorders can exist regardless of diet. Fish and other organisms eat this in the wild without any identified problems.