Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/10/2008, 04:24 PM   #1
jden092901
Registered Member

Is there such a thing as a "reef safe" eel

I have a 30 gallon...I dont think any Eel would work in a 30 gallon reef?? However, I will be getting a 150-200 gallon within the next year. Is there a reef safe eel?

Josh

Mag 12 return pump
Sea swirls and 2 Koralia 4's
Filter sock
200 lbs live rock
140 lbs live sand

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef
jden092901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 04:47 PM   #2
DT's_Reef
Registered Member

Golden Dwarf Eel supposedly is reef safe.....very very small and very expensive (gymnothorax melatremus). Lot of eels can and will escape, so be sure it's escape proof.

85g starphire system, 38"x26"x20", 250w Radium SE + Galaxy Ballast + Lumenmax Elite reflector, Tunze Nano Wave Box, 2 Tunze Nano Streams, Profilux dosing system (2-part + vodka), ATB 840 Skimmer, Eheim 1262 return pump.
DT's_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 05:28 PM   #3
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Pseudechidna brummeri should be totally reef safe. It won't eat fish, dead or alive, nor snails. It will, however, eat any shrimp that you have in the tank, cleaner or otherwise, and will eat frozen shrimp or krill. It's a very cool eel, and has an electric blue stripe down the dorsal fin, but it never seems to show up very well in pics. Unlike the Gymnothorax species I kept, he didn't stay hidden all the time, and made a very showy tank resident. The one I kept was hardy and low-maintenance, after I figured out that he only ate shrimp.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2004/fish.htm

Good luck,

Don

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:08 PM   #4
llama72
Registered Member

A dead eel

llama72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:13 PM   #5
sean48183
Registered Member

When you say reef safe do you mean coral safe or moving invert safe? I have a snowflake eel in my softy tank. Never looks at corals except occasionally crawling on them. However ANY crabs, snails, shrimp have absolutely no shot. Probably be gone in the first hour in your tank.

sean48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Roy G. Biv
Premium Member

Adult engineer gobies sure look like eels.

Roy G. Biv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2008, 07:06 PM   #7
bgcook
Registered Member

i have a two foot snowflake in my tank that i have had since it was about the size of a pencil (little over 2 years). i have had no problems at all. i even have smaller reef fish, but i do think it is important to have active fish if they are to be small. the only minor problem that i had initially was the eel rearranging the rock work on occassion. to remedy this, i made sure he has burrows and caves to go to. also the rock work that was prone to be moved i epoxyed together. now my corals have grown to such an extent that i don't think the eel could move the rocks even if he tried. overall, i think it is great having an eel in a reef. diving it is one of my favorite creatures to come up upon on a reef.

Current Tank Info: 540gal built in reef. 25 gal ecocube.
bgcook is offline   Reply With Quote